It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America losing its religion

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

Enjoy as best you can a world where nobody believes or cares in anything other than themselves.

Why do the things you say seem so idiotic? How does the absence of a deity, which ill remind you already doesn't exist, instantly destroy morality? Is god the only thing that prevents you from raping and murdering those around you?

I would hope you do some research on secular morality. The world cant tolerate such stupidity any longer.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf

Enjoy as best you can a world where nobody believes or cares in anything other than themselves.

Why do the things you say seem so idiotic? How does the absence of a deity, which ill remind you already doesn't exist, instantly destroy morality? Is god the only thing that prevents you from raping and murdering those around you?

I would hope you do some research on secular morality. The world cant tolerate such stupidity any longer.

Dear Wetdagf,

Then you take responsibility for the words of everyone that ever called themselves an atheist or leave me to believe what I believe. Do you accept everything Mao said?

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix267
reply to post by GeisterFahrer

What does "judgement of casualty" mean?
I have never heard of that term before.

oregonstate.edu...

It is the way we think.
edit on 30-5-2013 by GeisterFahrer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by GeisterFahrer

Thanks for the link. I'll have to read about it and see what it means. But what about the scientific method?

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 03:52 AM
link   

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Do you accept everything Mao said?

What do you mean by this comment? I'm just curious as to why you posted this in your reply.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion
...What happens in a world where people believe they are all that matters and that when they die nothing matters, the ultimate in selfishness perspectives?

For an answer to that question, look at 1940s Germany.
edit on 30-5-2013 by incoserv because: delete extraneous quote

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   

It is absolutely true, America is becoming less faithful. The only thing that matters anymore is self and that includes people who claim to believe in God. Enjoy as best you can a world where nobody believes or cares in anything other than themselves. Have a good time with that.

religion is intrinsically a selfish proposition that promises personal rewards to the "faithful". The God of the Bible constantly plies the reader with bribes and threats of personal gains or failures. The collective good is absent, division is king because "everyone else" is bound for hell and destruction.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Maybe the loss of religion is directly related to the decline in morals and the increasing selfcenteredness of society that is evolving. Is selfcenteredness even a real word

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
A good thing IMO, it shows growth and enlightenment. I bet the numbers are even higher but some folks won't admit what they truly believe because of family/cultural pressures.

I work in a very diverse office and have formed friendships with some practicing Muslims, Christians, Buddhists and Orthodox Jews who (in separate, private conversations over the years) have all admitted that they practice mostly due to the consequences of not doing so and/or tradition rather than out right true belief.

One Orthodox Jewish girl in the office badly wants to stop practicing but knows in doing so will mean being shunned from her friends and five brothers. The pressure to marry and have kids with someone she doesn't love was so bad that she stopped going on the arranged dates her parents kept setting her up on 3 years ago. Now, at the ripe old age of 23, she is rapidly becoming labeled damaged goods in the eyes of her culture. Her best friend (and a co-worker also) agreed to and married a guy who her parents set her up with and lived 200 miles away after one date!

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Do you accept everything Mao said?

What does Mao has to do with religion? did you get your comeback from "HowToDebateAnAtheist101"?

If Mao was a stamp collector, does the mean all stamp collectors are genociders?

Mao, Stalin etc etc waged war for political reasons, they saw religion as an infiltrator and a obstruction for complete political control, thus it had to go, not because he was an atheist.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
It is impossible for America to lose it's religion. Wanna know why? Because America never had a religion in the first place. Americas creation was not built on any religious dogma.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by CB328

people are waking up to the fact that the romans made catholicism to control the masses. If Jesus came to earth and saw what is being preached in his name he would have a heart attack. Its a bs give them your money and they will give you salvation. horse # is what it is

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
America lost religion when GWB said "god told me to invade Iraq in a rose garden"

Or maybe before.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Less religion, more spirituality.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

I'd like to believe that America is becoming less religious, or that religious beliefs will play less of a role in our policymaking in the future, but I doubt that will happen any time soon. My reasoning is that Religious belief just feels good to those that have those beliefs, at least according to Dr. Andrew Newberg's research. www.andrewnewberg.com...

As an atheist myself, I don't understand the "why" belief feels good, any more than my fundamentalist parents can't understand "why" I don't believe in any deity. And I don't feel that I'm any less moral than my parents are, nor any less charitable.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Maybe more people are becoming more spiritual and less dependent on organized religions to tell them how to express it...
edit on 30-5-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
Maybe the loss of religion is directly related to the decline in morals and the increasing selfcenteredness of society that is evolving. Is selfcenteredness even a real word

Indeed Self-centeredness is a word but I doubt being religious as any effect on it. I know loads of so called Religious people who have a whole lot of self-centeredness.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

I would have to agree. A majority of people are losing interest in organized religion. When I used to attend church it felt like school and everyone had their cliques. The bible never really came first. It was just to go to feel good about yourself to go to church then really worship God and understand your faith. Now people are finding alternatives that works better for themselves as human beings. A lot of people are losing their faith and beginning to identify as atheist or simply secular because they have no need for faith. But there are still a lot of people who are spiritual. Whose beliefs would be hard to define.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Maybe it's because more and more people are waking up. More people are seeing behind the facade of religion. Some of the worst people I know who are judgmental, racist, war mongers, hypocrites and down right mean are the religious faithful. You don't need religion or a preacher to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ. You also don't need a religion to control your life or what you should believe. We all have free will, we shouldn't blindly follow a faith or religion that has been handed down to us generation after generation. I think with all the criminality, and the killing and ridiculing of people in the name of God, people are starting to realize they're following false prophets.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join