It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

18 Year Old High School Student Builds Working Submarine, And Multiple Other Things!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Havox

Tomorrow's news:

"18 year old drowns"

Seriously, that thing looks like a death trap.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by applesthateatpeople

The submarine's body may be constructed from drainage pipes and the hatch from a recycled skylight, but according to its 18-year-old inventor, this single-person U-boat can plunge to a depth of 30 feet and has already completed three successful dives.

Three successful dives so far, so it's looking good. Still, you couldn't pay me to get into that thing.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by applesthateatpeople
reply to post by Havox

Tomorrow's news:

"18 year old drowns"

Lol that made me spit out my coffee.

To the OP...hats off to this brilliant young man...I wish I had a tenth of the talent he has.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Not really inventions more like building stuff that already exists?

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

My thoughts exactly. He is just building model planes and cars and such. He isn't really inventing anything new. While it is great he is trying his hand early at engineering different things, much of what he has on his site is non-functional (per his own description). Given his track record on his other stuff I would not get in line to try out his sub.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Yeah, you're right. I should have worded that differently. Regardless, it doesn't take away from his work. He's doing some pretty interesting things for an 18 year old that I'd bet a lot of older people couldn't do.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
If i remember correctly the well known ventriloquist Jeff Dunham used to build full sized real helicopters from kits and sell them when he was in college.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
tommorow head lines boy macgiver builds zero point energy reactor out of trash can and dvd blue ray lazers followed by news report 2 hours later total devastation after homemade zero point reactor levels teens home state

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Even if it's not a death trap, it looks like Scuba Diving is much more fun. I can make a tank of air last a long time at only 30 feet deep, and probably swim faster than that sub.

I don't know who would want it except maybe smugglers.

He's got some interesting hobbies though.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Even if it's not a death trap, it looks like Scuba Diving is much more fun. I can make a tank of air last a long time at only 30 feet deep, and probably swim faster than that sub.

I don't know who would want it except maybe smugglers.

He's got some interesting hobbies though.

The vessel can remain submerged for up to two hours and travels beneath the waves at one and a half miles per hour.

What's the average swim speed?

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I would love to know how he got the money to do a quarter of what he did.

I had a job in HS but could barely afford gas and other luxury.

The submarine's body may be constructed from drainage pipes and the hatch from a recycled skylight,

The Nautilus took high school inventor Justin Beckerman just six months and $2,000 to put together

The nautilus, how appropriate.

Great he used as much as he could, and he must have sacrificed other things to save money. Regardless he must have been determined. And lucky to be able to do this.

More power to him.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Havox
What's the average swim speed?
Depends on the current. If the current is 2mph you have to either swim at 2mph to stay near the boat, or do a drift dive, where the boat follows the current.

The record speed for underwater swimming is 3.5mph, without fins. Fins make it much easier to swim faster, so 2mph is possible, though your air will last a lot longer on a drift dive, where you don't have to swim against the current. But even in a drift dive, you're still going 2mph relative to the ocean floor, just drifting with the current, so as Einstein said, velocity is relative, and depends on how you measure it.

I don't think that sub would be maneuverable enough in a drift dive if there were features like coral reefs or other obstacles to avoid.
edit on 29-5-2013 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Promising young engineer.
What i like is we would have used different materials.....
His stuff utilised newer products/
ie He glued plastic
wed have welded or soldered or rivtted.metal most likely...
My friend ted made a bathysphere out of hundreds of layers of fiberglass the worked admirably.....
differnt generations different materials diffent results...no?

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Bah! You guys are all being too hard on him, he found a good constructive hobby. He is very intelligent and gifted for his age, sure he isn't inventing anything new, but lets see any of you try and build your own submarine and other toys that equal his own. Thats the problem with todays world, we judge the kids who have no constructive hobbies, and then we judge the ones who do by expecting his above average talent to be exceptional Nikola Tesla talent. Its not like he is running some company that your purchasing products from, relax.

Hats off to the kid, when I was that age all I ever wanted to do was build machines like that, but I was too stupid to ever do anything that wasn't 99% duct tape based.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 04:00 AM
link   
With that sub, I bet the DHS has him watched...

new topics

top topics

join