It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Non GMO foods for cats

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I was kinda hoping the "Pet Forum" idea had taken off but I can't see it
I realize this is the health and wellness forum, I just hope it extends to cats because to me my cats are as important if not more than many people I meet on any given day. My query to cat owners and lovers on ATS is regarding dry foods that contain no GMO grains or meats. I have been feeding mine Purina "Friskies" but I've noticed around me that more and more felines around me are dying at young ages from liver cancer and my research has led me to think this may be due to BT toxins in GMO grain. I had one pass away at 8 years just a while back. I'm not in the mood to take chances with my cats so if it takes less beer and movies for me, I'm going to kick in the money and get these guys on a diet that will help them live longer than me. So what do you people recommend as an organic, non GMO grain free, long life type cat food in dry form? If it helps, I'm in Canada.

MM

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Honestly, my suggestion is make your own. My poor cat has had so many issues with even the high end and prescription foods, from skin issues, to urinary issues, to pooping issues. I finally said forget it. There are TONS of websites out there that will tell you how to make it (make sure to do your homework, cats need certain things).

In the end it cheaper, and, at least for my cat, FAR more healthy.

ETA: Never, ever, EVER feed your cat any of the grocery aisle foods. Purina, friskies, and all of those are TERRIBLE for your cat, and will end up costing you hundreds, if not thousands, in vet bills.
edit on 27-5-2013 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Thanks...To avoid GMO's it would have to be organic I'm thinking. Would it still work out cheaper? I did a quick google and saw many recipe ideas but they seem to be using the same crap sold in supermarkets, it's just "do it yourself"

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by minkmouse

I found a website that I think is very informative about making homemade cat food; I am thinking of starting to make my own cat food; and this website is the one I am studying.

Link: www.catinfo.org...

I hope this information will help you.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Thanks a bunch, looks like a very informative site
Lots to read and learn.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by minkmouse
Thanks...To avoid GMO's it would have to be organic I'm thinking. Would it still work out cheaper? I did a quick google and saw many recipe ideas but they seem to be using the same crap sold in supermarkets, it's just "do it yourself"
There are a lot of good sites with recipes out there. There are also animal cookbooks.

I use organic for my cat, and it is still cheaper than the prescription foods that the vet gave him, and he has none of the side effects.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Not so sure about the animal cookbooks, these guys wreak enough havoc around here without them learning to cook!

On topic...Thanks...That's good to know that it still ends up cheaper. Before I get busy making food though, I'd like to find a good supplier of trustworthy food to replace the crap they're gobbling down now.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

I have noticed changes in my cats feeding habits over the last few years. I feed them dry food and sachets of wet food.

They LOVE their crunchie dry food and often won't touch the wet food. It is frustrating for a couple of reasons. First, it's not good for sterilised cats to eat too much dry food, it gives them urinary problems, males in particular, second, it's a waste of money if I thow out uneaten wet food. I try to vary their food all the time and buy special dry food for sterilised cats when I can but it's not available in all shops.

Luckily, I live in the country and all 3 of mine are fantastic hunters. Come spring and summer I am merely giving supplements to their more natural wild diet (so long as they don't spray TOO much crap on the GM crops eaten by their catches).

I think it's safe to say that a lot of cat food has GMO products in it. Sad but true.....BUT....The biggest problem I think is that the general quality of the dry food has taken a nosedive to maximise profits these last few years and to counteract this, pet food producers have been adding more and more in the way of "appetisers" to the recipies. Appetisers that makes cats eat more of what is not good for them and crave it, hence the growing number of problems for some cats and an apparently (to me) greater addiction to junk food which lulls many owners into thinking it's good food because cats love it.

Remember something else quite important...pet food companies often sponsor veterinary training schools and research centres, so bad food makes sick cats which makes vets rich. Vets have an interest in keeping "in" with the food companies. The top notch produce is usually available at vets and is often promoted highly and costs a pretty penny, but a lot of the same companies also produce the rubbish that brings many pets to a vets door. It's a conspiracy.

Ultimately, I say YES to NO GMO in ANY food. Less of the good food is surely better than lots of the bad food.

3 cats here. Brother (Duke) and sister (Princess) and daughter of the sister (Squidge) from a big ginger tom.
Right now, all curled up asleep on the sofa while I type.

A couple of small handfuls of dry food and 1-2 sachets of wet food between them each day. They are happy and healthy and certainly don't look underfed.

I would kill to protect my cats. They are my family and I love them more than most humans. They are magical.

ps..if cats hate swimming and water, why do they like fish, and why don't they make mouse flavour cat food?

and here's a link to www.thepetfoodlist.com... useful info for U.S. owners. I will look for European equivalent and post if found.

Cheers....meow!

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Not so sure about the animal cookbooks, these guys wreak enough havoc around here without them learning to cook!

On topic...Thanks...That's good to know that it still ends up cheaper. Before I get busy making food though, I'd like to find a good supplier of trustworthy food to replace the crap they're gobbling down now.
Talk to your vet. Most vets understand how bad most of the food given to pets is. They will be able to recommend good brands.

Also, many stores now have a 'natural pet food' section. Try checking those out.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

Thanks for the info and time dedicated to post. I'm kinda hoping you don't think Canada is in Europe

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Good advice thanks. Fortunately both animals are in peak health so I've not talked to a vet in a while but it might be time to start. Called a few pet stores but they had no idea what GMO meant...Sad

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   

reply to post by nerbot

Thanks for the info and time dedicated to post. I'm kinda hoping you don't think Canada is in Europe

No, I just want to find info for as many members as possible. I'm in France but haven't found a pet food list that covers our shops yet.

And no I don't think Canada is in Europe, that would be silly.

It's an island just off the coast of Borneo.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

Borneo! That explains all the palm oil trees across the water

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I googled this topic a while back and found a fair amount of brands that are organic and non-GMO. If I was at the computer instead of on my mobile I would try to find some links for you!

Finding the non-GMO brands on store shelves can be the hard part. Luckily there is a small locally owned pet store near me that carries a lot of good stuff. At some of the larger pet stores even the supposedly "healthy" cat food is mostly junk, although I have seen them starting to stock more quality brands lately.

I have a cat with food allergies, so I also make food sometimes so that I know exactly what she's eating.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   
I've accumulated a wealth of experience on exactly this topic - I made a thread here: The pet food industry conspiracy and Candy's tale.

I made a very difficult transition over a period from a dry-pellet diet to a completely raw diet made entirely by me - the meat isn't 100 % organic, but a raw diet made in the right manner (even with shop-bought chicken) is 1000 times better than anything that is sold pre-packaged.

My cat was incredibly resistant to this change, but I managed to stick it through. She went from a very sickly cat barely able to walk with no chance of a normal live, to a very healthy, happy and contented cat that hunts, stalks and plays. Her 'idiopathic degeneration of the spinal cord' has completely disappeared. Her body was able to heal itself completely just by ingesting what nature had intended for her, and these positive changes started taking place from the day she ate her first raw plate of food.

I cannot even begin to describe to you the instant change that she went through - the new diet has completely and utterly saved her live, and she is now flourishing!

Grain is a problem to cats - even in a non-GMO form. They are obligate carnivores and should not be ingesting any grain at all. I can vouch for the fact that in a sensitive cat, doing so will obliterate whatever chance of good health they have. I shudder to think what the effects of GMO grain would be!

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Hi, I have two cats, brother and sister. They are now 11 years old. About 2 years ago I was troubled by their behavior as the male was very anxious, crying all the time and quite thin. The female was overweight, very inactive and not her friendly self. Also she had begun urinating on the laundry room floor instead of her litter box. I had been feeding both cats exclusively a dry food diet. Both cats constantly cried to get into the bathroom so they could drink from the tub faucet.

I finally did some research on their diet and based on what I read I switched them exclusively to a canned food diet. I now feed them No Frills Yellow Brand cans at $ 1.00 per large can. It comes in Beef and Seafood flavors. I put the food down and let them eat as much as they could in the morning at 7am and at night at 7pm and then took the bowls away.

The change in my cats was virtually overnight. Well it seemed that way but I exaggerate; I really started to see positive changes in about a week.

Shadow the female stopped urinating on the laundry room floor within a few days. I suspect she had a urinary tract infection. Spike the male slept a lot in the first couple of days (I guess he was worn out from not feeling well) then both cats started running around and playing again like they did when they were young.

It became very clear that I was harming my animals with a dry food diet. Cats in the wild eat exclusively meat (birds, mice, squirrels) with about 80% moisture. Their digestive systems are not made to process rice, wheat, berries, corn. These are some of the main ingredients in dry food. Dry food has only about 10% moisture so that is why my two were constantly thirsting and likely very dehydrated.

Spike has gained weight and purrs all the time now. Shadow has lost weight and also is a very happy girl. Both are very active.

I recommend the article below by experts from a study conducted at The Hebrew University of Jerusalem's Koret School of Veterinary Medicine.

Hope this helps! Cheers, Caroline

Cat Feeding Study

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Hi I just wanted to add to my previous post so as not to be off topic that I'm not sure whether the No Frills canned food has GMO in it or not.

I would like to get everyone in our household including the cats off of GMO if I can.

Monsanto is evil as I have stated before. They MUST be stopped.

Caroline

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by shimmeringsilver73

Very cool story, thanks for sharing. As I said earlier, both my cats are in peak condition and I intend to keep it that way.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Caroline13456

Hi I just wanted to add to my previous post so as not to be off topic that I'm not sure whether the No Frills canned food has GMO in it or not.

I would like to get everyone in our household including the cats off of GMO if I can.

Monsanto is evil as I have stated before. They MUST be stopped.

Caroline

I am totally with you on that idea
Thanks for the food link

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
By Nature Organic pet food

I have been feeding my Liwa this for years and she loves it. I love it too because it's dry, ready to go, easy to buy ( i get mine at Petsmart), and she seems to not get sick (hairballs or whatever you want to call it) anymore.

Absolutely give it a shot. It's corn, soy, and wheat-free, all organic non-GMO

They also make wet food as well as dog food

edit on 5/28/2013 by redNyx because: more info added

top topics

<<   2 >>

join