It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finally, a rational thought from the Administration?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   

President Obama drew sharp criticism from Republican senators Thursday for urging the repeal of the 2001 law that effectively authorized the war on terror.

The president addressed the law, known as the Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF),...

...But Obama made clear that his ultimate goal is to update, and then repeal, the use of force law, saying he wants to fight terrorism without keeping the country on a "perpetual war-time footing."

I'm not sure what to make of this move, it's finally something I can agree with Obama on. But now I'm wondering what he's up to. Waiting for the other shoe to drop.

It's been a while since any administration was concerned with laws or doing anything legally, so I'm kind of at a loss with this one.

And of course the Republicans are taking pot shots at it, but that's to be expected. The Democrats would probably be doing the same if it had been McCain's idea.

But still, we'll have to keep an eye out for where they are going with this.

Source

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

The best way to fight terrorism is to stop voting these monsters into office.

We (USA) are the terrorists. We.

We the terrorists, in order to form a more terrifying union...

I find it absolutely mystifying that so many intelligent people put faith into politicians.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   

It's got to be crap. His politicking move to dodge criticism regarding drone deaths. Which we've all known about due to ATS etc but just now seems to be going mainstream, causing sheeple rage.

If he really cared about that law, he'd have fixed it years ago.

His other distraction technique is "let's close Guantanamo" which seems to be causing lots of head nodding in agreement, hilarious since it was one of his campaign promises when he was running in 2008. Somehow the articles I'm reading currently seem to be forgetting that fact.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Maybe Obama has;

a. Had an epiphany
b. grown a conscience
c. grown a pair
d. is having a breakdown and distancing himself from his handlers
e. taken too many or to few hypnols or other mind altering chemicals

Anyone want to venture a guess lol

Cheers - Dave

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Mr. Confusion back again. From the speech:

Our systematic effort to dismantle terrorist organizations must continue. But this war, like all wars, must end.
Is that like calling Korea a "Police action?' Or the Fort Hood shooting "Workplace violence?" Or a significant terrorist attack "Man-caused disaster?"

Is war now to be called a "systematic effort to dismantle?" Yep, a war would do that alright. There must be something specific in the bill he doesn't like. A bill that was passed nearly unanimously by Congress and not significantly challenged since.

Does he really think he's beaten Al-Qaeda?

The saddest part for me in all of this is that I no longer trust the leader of our country. Oh, I've disagreed with him for a long time, but that's different from thinking he's a liar and a crook.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   
You mean we might get to finally end the 12 year long day known as September 11, 2001? Does this mean the fear mongering and rights stealing over public safety might draw to a close too? Sure it's a good thing; but makes me wonder if things do get to become September 10, 2001 and things back to business as usual... if the majority of people will fall back into self absorbed complacency, turning a blind eye once again, to the governments every move.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Well, judging from past actions, I can only assume that he intends to do the exact opposite. Maybe there's some technical reason for repealing it; maybe there's some niggling little clause that's getting in the way of declaring full-out Martial Law.

I haven't a clue. The only thing I know for certain is that it's some sort of cover for a gigantic raging lie....

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 05:52 AM
link   
If he is genuine in this and can pull it off, he'll have won back some of my respect. Anyone that could manage a feat this monumental would gain respect from me. This is a war we can't win, not unless we are willing to one of two things... either sacrifice all our freedoms or give up our murderous pursuit of oil, resources and feeding corporate greed. Sadly our policies lean toward the former.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 06:37 AM
link   
to my eyes, it seems obama is just posturing. Nothing is going to get better or change. You think this means no more drone strikes? get real, its just word play no more no less.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I'm a tad confused. Why does he need to update and then repeal?

Why can't we just update the law ? Or just repeal it for that matter? Why both?

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
It's not like the AUMF is forcing him to direct drones and troop movements. It only gives him the authorization, which he wields with pleasure. This is just another political ploy that he can blame on Redumblicans when they vote it down. Then he'll get to continue terrorizing the Middle East, all the while saying, "Well I wouldn't be doing this if the Republicans hadn't allowed it to continue!"

/TOA

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Yeah, this just seems weird and out of left field when taken in context with the actions and policy of this administration through the past four plus years.

I find it very hard to believe Obama has seen the light or had a change of heart.
They are up to something.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

What they are up to is the NDAA, and the accompanying new Defense Support
of Civilian Law Enforcement Agencies;
the perpetual war brings the battle home,
to the homeland declaring that the U.S. is now part of the battlefield.

According to the CIA, al Qaeda has no homeland. So essentially,
this will make all Americans game for being tried in military court, if they are
a found to be a domestic terrorist.

The closing of Gauntanimo Bay is a ruse, dont be fooled.

www.thenewamerican.com...

www.fas.org...

There is a good thread on it here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 24-5-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

I'm not sure what to make of this move, it's finally something I can agree with Obama on. But now I'm wondering what he's up to. Waiting for the other shoe to drop.

So much of this is strategy and timing - waiting for the right moment

Terrorism is real - how we choose to respond to it is up to us

It will be very interesting to hear the arguments against this. Those arguments - coming now, after so many years of this - might just be the undoing of the whole thing. The GOP is going to have to really watch their step

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Seems to me that if he declares the war on terrorism over then the detainees in gitmo are no longer considered terrorist. Then he can move them to whatever state he wants to. He has been talking more about closing gitmo lately.

I gotta say that we are in more danger from outside sources now than we have ever been.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Maybe some sense dawning:

The 'War on Terror' is the dumbest concotion in human history. Completely asinine. Terrorism is a tactic. You cant have a war on a tactic.

The folly is thinking that you can defeat Terrorism by military means, you cant. The only correct response to terrorism is to carry on regardless while using intelligence services to disrupts plots before they occur. Treat it just like organised crime.

- If you change your national policy position to comply with their demands its a strategic victory for them.
- If you burn your freedoms and charge around the globe murdering 'suspects' and killing the innocent in foreign lands, you become what they caricature you as. You recruit the next generation of attackers - tactical victory for them.

The only way to win is to be the nation you were before 11th September 2001. Get used to the idea you are not completely safe but much less likely to die in a terror attack than doing something mundane, and carry on.

Take the pain and lead by example, its the only way to win.

edit on 26-5-2013 by justwokeup because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join