It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Evidence That Ancient Mars Could Support Life Found by Old Rover

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
story

The venerable Mars rover Opportunity, the older and smaller cousin of Curiosity, has discovered another water-weathered rock hinting that the Red Planet could have supported life in its ancient past, NASA officials said.
In its last days exploring "Cape York," a site on the rim of the giant Endeavour crater, the Opportunity rover examined a fractured rock unlike any it has seen during its nine years on Mars, researchers say.
With data from a camera and spectrometer on the rover's robotic arm, researchers found that the rock, dubbed "Esperance," is a relic of a wetter time on Mars when life may have been possible.
"Water that moved through fractures during this rock's history would have provided more favorable conditions for biology than any other wet environment recorded in rocks Opportunity has seen," Opportunity principal investigator Steve Squyres, of Cornell University, said in a statement.

This is great news!!! This can possibly confirm the findings Curiosity has found as far as possible life or conditions for life.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
We actually know for certain mars had water now, no disrespect but this is not anything new..

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I think it confirms that Mars was once able to support life, but it's pretty clear from the images being beamed back, it is a barren wasteland. In order for life to be sustained it will have to be under artificial means until we find a way of generating an atmosphere to replicate Earth's.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
story

The venerable Mars rover Opportunity, the older and smaller cousin of Curiosity, has discovered another water-weathered rock hinting that the Red Planet could have supported life in its ancient past, NASA officials said.
In its last days exploring "Cape York," a site on the rim of the giant Endeavour crater, the Opportunity rover examined a fractured rock unlike any it has seen during its nine years on Mars, researchers say.
With data from a camera and spectrometer on the rover's robotic arm, researchers found that the rock, dubbed "Esperance," is a relic of a wetter time on Mars when life may have been possible.
"Water that moved through fractures during this rock's history would have provided more favorable conditions for biology than any other wet environment recorded in rocks Opportunity has seen," Opportunity principal investigator Steve Squyres, of Cornell University, said in a statement.

This is great news!!! This can possibly confirm the findings Curiosity has found as far as possible life or conditions for life.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, I guess the meaning in this finding is in a possible extension of the time frame needed for at least, microbial life. Not just that water was present on Mars, which has limited water/dew anyway. The riddle about Terraforming Mars can't just be atmosphere, Venus has a dense one yet has no appreciable magnetosphere, Mars has a very thin atmosphere but also has no magnetosphere and neither of those two planets are as materially dense, (that's my lazy way to put it, as in density/volume/mass) as Earth.

Maybe NASA will start harnessing comets big time, and deliver them to Mars!

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978
I think it confirms that Mars was once able to support life, but it's pretty clear from the images being beamed back, it is a barren wasteland. In order for life to be sustained it will have to be under artificial means until we find a way of generating an atmosphere to replicate Earth's.

maybe you should look at some photos / videos of mars or is nasa telling the truth

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Mars could become a habitable world again in the future. It would require a warmer enviroment so if the sun ever decides to increase its heat output that would increase the chances that it could become habitable. Geo engineering a world would be a vast undertaking, but science seems to be heading in that direction any way. The accual levels of water that remain on mars would also have to be determined. Minning mars and producing green house gases could be a way to increase the available atmosphere and increase the tempatures. Either way it would be nice to see mars geoengineered.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by misscurious
We actually know for certain mars had water now, no disrespect but this is not anything new..

Scientists love finding new evidence to support their theories. So while it's nothing ground-breaking, it's a valuable piece of research.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by jvarga390
Mars could become a habitable world again in the future. It would require a warmer enviroment so if the sun ever decides to increase its heat output that would increase the chances that it could become habitable. Geo engineering a world would be a vast undertaking, but science seems to be heading in that direction any way. The accual levels of water that remain on mars would also have to be determined. Minning mars and producing green house gases could be a way to increase the available atmosphere and increase the tempatures. Either way it would be nice to see mars geoengineered.

First I think you better find out how Mars lost its atmosphere and the reason why it will never be able to retain an atmosphere again!

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Imagine how long these Rovers could last if they put dust wipers on the solar panels...I mean seriously you could almost expect them to last for 50 years or more as long as the other components are built as well as they did on these older Rovers.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Mars is perhaps too small to hold an effective atmosphere.
Also ancient near collisions with other planets should have ripped
some of the atmosphere away as well as dropped some of its
land away on other planets from the look of the rifts.
I mean the red planet is all iron oxide the burnt out core of stars
that drift or are propelled through space. Where does Mars come
up with life except from other plants. Figure a gravity or Tesla
force wave going back and forth might deposit some of each planet
on the other. Common planet thinking is way off ignoring the research of
others. As for wet any solar system planet gets wet from the Deluge
of Genesis as today's science writers forgets to mention. Life on Mars
is a big con game promoting Illuminati science courses. Alright if
you want to be their expert

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by TeslaandLyne
Mars is perhaps too small to hold an effective atmosphere.
Also ancient near collisions with other planets should have ripped
some of the atmosphere away as well as dropped some of its
land away on other planets from the look of the rifts.
I mean the red planet is all iron oxide the burnt out core of stars
that drift or are propelled through space. Where does Mars come
up with life except from other plants. Figure a gravity or Tesla
force wave going back and forth might deposit some of each planet
on the other. Common planet thinking is way off ignoring the research of
others. As for wet any solar system planet gets wet from the Deluge
of Genesis as today's science writers forgets to mention. Life on Mars
is a big con game promoting Illuminati science courses. Alright if
you want to be their expert

Yes, and the Moon is a giant hollow spaceship that was placed there by the Annunaki to spy on us.

Cool story, bro.

[engages science mode] So why does Mars have rocks, including hydrated materials? Why does it have an atmosphere? But hey, let's ignore all science because scientists serve the Illuminati.

edit on 25-5-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by TeslaandLyne

Every post you make mentions Tesla you have an abnormal fascination with him

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Xeven

the new rover doesn't utilize solar panels sidestepping this problem

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by iforget
reply to post by Xeven

the new rover doesn't utilize solar panels sidestepping this problem

What will they use pray tell. You can't say. Don't leave us hanging.
I'm only an expert on Tesla reference.
So I just saw this kids TV show about Mars.
Zero degrees is the warmest is gets, no problems since we conquered the moon.
The TV show also mentioned whirl winds that just happened along to clean off the
solar panels on the rover giving its power back up to spec.

I don't have to be a Tesla to know now we need a wiper on the panels. Is that your suggestion.

People should pay attention to my Tesla references because some might be correct.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by wmd_2008

You can read but must have a block in the sociopath outlet cause you are going wild.
Other people know what I say cause they can read better than you without the
sociopath outcry.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

You speak Illuminati anti Tesla speak.
And you know what I am talking about.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by wmd_2008

First I think you better find out how Mars lost its atmosphere and the reason
why it will never be able to retain an atmosphere again!

What is wrong with you, can't you give out this ancient alien information.
I just can't read your posts without feeling there is nothing there.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by wmd_2008

You do not believe in a Tesla force.
Lay it on me. Why is that.
You do not know where forces come from.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   

I was referring to curiosity which uses sort of a Nuclear Battery although as the twin previous rovers lasted much longer than expected a panel cleaning system probably wouldn't have been a bad idea. It will be interesting to see if this power source does in fact prove longer lasting

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   
There is no problem with the MERs panels and "somehow" they have remained clean throughout the years that it has been there. We can see images of the panels in MER photos and there is no dust on them - or at least when there is, then after the next few photos the "wind" has miraculously swept them clean again.

Really, you guys need to be a little bit more questioning with this stuff.

How is it that the wind is apparently (according to NASA) strong enough to clean off the rovers solar panels but NOT strong enough to blow the blueberries into piles? Care to answer that?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join