It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cosmic Impact 12,800 years ago; bye bye megafauna, Clovis Culture etc new study released.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I have been studying this 'incident' for a while as well. There is a great deal of evidence that link this event with the "Black Mat" deposits in the east coast of America, as well as the presence and orientation of the "Carolina Bays"

Another thread , over a year old has some good info and worth a scan:
Meteorite storm smashed the Earth 12,000 years ago....

Something very real happened back then, but there is so much conflicting evidence that it is really difficult to point one reason at it. Perhaps the new scientific work being done will solve it once and for all.

Addend: One of the weirdest observations in earlier studies of this phenomena uncovered mammoth tusks that carbon dated to 12k, which had magnetic particles embedded in them on ONE SIDE, as if what ever happened, broadsided the animal in it's tracks and peppered it with micro spherules of magnetic carbon and iron. Very wierd.

edit on 24-5-2013 by charlyv because: added content

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

When you consider what happened over Russia a few weeks ago, imagine a considerably larger object coming in at a shallow angle and exploding over North America. It could have exterminated a large amount of the megafauna, started numerous fires, and the survivors simply starved from the lack of food and cold. There is a population bottleneck in the human population where Earths population went from several thousands down to a few hundred indviduals (Everyone on Earth is descended from about 200 people). It has been attributed to the Toba supervolcano but a comet event could have been the real culprit.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by openminded2011

There is a population bottleneck in the human population where Earths population went from several thousands down to a few hundred indviduals (Everyone on Earth is descended from about 200 people). It has been attributed to the Toba supervolcano but a comet event could have been the real culprit.

For many years I subscribed to Scientific American and Discovery magazines and in one of their articles (?) maybe 25 years ago it was theorized that the bottle neck you speak of was down to 35 breeding pairs. I found that very hard to believe due to the diversity of the human race. There are many discussions on the cause of some ancient society's demise; everything from earth changes to wars are the usual culprit. If 12,800 years ago this cosmic event truly did cause the massive extinction event, then one has to wonder how many ancient societies and their structures were wiped from the face of the earth?

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I've always found it spooky how N.America
was essentially a ghost-continent until "Native" Americans settled here.
Just about everywhere else there is a consistent liniage of ancient peoples.
But not here. Only stories of whole cultures disappearing,
some long after the DYB.

Also this makes me curious as to what other fringe ideas in this arena
may pan out, & be accepted by science.
If this were not peer reviewed it would be torn up by scientists
who still believe the "hunted to extinction" scenario.
Which is a lot more of a reach in my opinion.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
To all the man made global warmer people:

1. Humans can't modify the earth to the degree you think
2. If stop CO2 emission this could still happen.
3. This is nature.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by wrkn4livn
Have you found any corresponding nova that are close to this time period?

I think Dr. Firestone said it was 350 light years away. They found dust particles embedded in mammoth tusks they think was from this event. I think it's two separate events they are looking at, tho. One event from a supernova, and then a second impact event from an asteroid/comet several thousand years later.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by sealing

I agree: one excuse for lack of evidence has always been the inhabitants were living off the land with no permanent cities or primitive tools and weapons which were not preserved unless made from stone.

There have been some bone tools and maybe spear points found that were out of place for the excepted time lines but they are sitting in some museum oddity shelf.

I still believe 'if' there were cities or permanent settlements they are off shore buried under silt and water for these last ???12,000 plus years. If the settlements were made out of mud and not stone then they have disappeared and we will never know the who, what, and where of the subject. .

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join