It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Newly Announced Xbox One can recognise your voice, facial features. Is Always Listening to You.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by SPACEYstranger

That's not at all what I said now is it?

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

Well, if you need a 2k pc to have a computer more powerfull than consoles, you probably poorly choose your hardware. You can do better than ps3 and even ps4 with a 500-600$ pc from a few years ago.

Btw there's one positive thing with this stinky generation comming, the 8 gigs of ram, which has been capping down the pc gaming for years. Now that consoles will have that much ram, pc devs will probably finally code games using a threaded approach, and so use multiple cpu cores / thread, which 95% of actual pc games don't do, despite the fact that threading-coding is pretty easy. We can also hope to at last have 64 bits exe provided with games, so they can address (so, by extention, use) more than 2 gigs of ram. 95% of pc games nowadays only provide a 32 bits exe, which are limited to 2 gigs of usable memory, or maybe 4 if you "cheat" with the signing bit, but that can cause some issues, so almost no game use that "cheat" on addressing.
So basically, what i'm saying is that people who buy 16 or 32 gigs of ram to "win at "who has the biggest" in lan parties" buy completely useless hardware atm...
4 or 8 gigs on a gaming pc are justified, since your pc usually runs several other stuff in the same time than the game, but more is just pointless. That could change "thanks to the 8 gigs of the new generation", but atm, it's pointless.

I would add that your argument of "configuration differencies" between pcs and consoles is pointless. Yes pc have more diversificated hardware than consoles, and consoles are the same for everyone, making perfs tweaking easier for the developper, but on pc, you can tweak yourself your performences vs quality settings in games, that's the solution to the diversificated hardware...
And sorry, but coding for diversificated hardware doesn't make coding the game harder. It changes almost nothing during the developping process, except for the tweaking part, which is required on console when it's not on pc since the user can do it itself with the gfx settings. So basically, it's even "harder" (not really, but longer) to code for "non-diversified hardware", since the dev needs to tweak perfs & qual by himself, since the user is not allowed to do it by himself.

Maybe you should learn 1 thing or two about game developpement and maybe even try it by yourself? You obviously lack of some knowledge in that topic.
(and yes, before you ask, I developped some things for various platforms, including pc, consoles (mostly gba and psp, but I try dev on every platform I have as soon as I can. I love to test by myself what my hardware can do))

btw, the ps4 and xbox1 are both pcs basically. ps4 will have it's own proprietary OS, but the xbox will be based on Windows 8. so, nothing changes with a pc, from the hardware to the OS. The only thing that will probably change, is the ".exe" format, they will probably use another proprietary format for those, including some features like drm and encryption, just like they did for previous platforms, which also were Windows Based (I'm talking about xboxes here, original then 360).

My pc worth no more than 600$ at the time I assembled it (3 years ago), including the ssd... And it can already do better both visually and in raw power than ps3 and 360. The only thing I need to upgrade to do better than xbox3/ps4 would be the graphic card, my upgrade would cost me a maximum of 150-200$.
So my only advice for you is: Choose your hardware more carefully, actually you're obviously throwing your money away with the sums you reported in your post.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
reply to post by SPACEYstranger

That's not at all what I said now is it?

avoiding the homes of friends and family who will have these things in at least one room, often more, will be quite difficult.

Unless you "government hating agrarians" walk into peoples living rooms and immediately start plotting terrorist attacks, I don't understand the problem.

Don't buy it. don't be a criminal. Don't wory about it, because its a frakin toy. you should be more afraid of your webcam, or... nothing. Because fearing consumer electronics for some baseless paranoia is ridiculous.

Just sayin is all.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by SPACEYstranger

Unless you "government hating agrarians" walk into peoples living rooms and immediately start plotting terrorist attacks, I don't understand the problem.

Don't buy it. don't be a criminal. Don't wory about it, because its a frakin toy. you should be more afraid of your webcam, or... nothing. Because fearing consumer electronics for some baseless paranoia is ridiculous.

Do we need to get into how flawed the "if you're not a criminal then you've nothing to fear" position is?

For one it assumes a perfect justice system in which no one is ever railroaded.

It also assumes no one in any position of power would ever want to attack another individual for even petty partisan reasons. IRS ring a bell?

Beyond the paranoia we've legions of scammers out there who live to mod and hack and swat and stalk and harass and they're already doing a bang up job with current gen consoles and PC's. More intrusive devices in more homes isnt going to help that.

I have no webcam for this very reason. No microphones either. No cell phone near me and when I'm not at work any time I need to access the Internet (which is infrequent) it's done through proxy and email is all self destructing and temporary.

I dont fear the electronics. I fear the people who think monitoring and recording the data they pick up is a good idea. Fear is maybe the wrong word. It's lack of trust. I dont trust them.
edit on 23-5-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Oh yes its quite literally the end of the world. Who knows if this continues people may even have to go outside, I would not recommend it however. Ever been outside lately? Its not as bad as people make it out to be, however its not that great my biggest gripes with were that the resolution of the real world is not only was lacking behind my PS3 and my 1080p TV. But the plot also kind of sucked, there literally was no plot at all. I give being outside a 6 1/2 out of 10. It's a work in progress.

But no really! In all seriousness! I think we should all run around screaming the sky is falling, and the kinetic is out to get us.
It's like cats said: All your base are belong to us.... The end in all probability just may be neigh!

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by RadarOReilly
My husband and I already signed up for the pre-order notification. I personally can't wait to play whatever version of Halo comes next and Bungie's new game Destiny when that comes out next year.

Call me a fangirl. Call me a nerd. Call me what you like, but I'm excited about the new console. Those voice commands are gonna be fun.

"Xbox, scare ATSers." ;-)

Mass Effect 3 had commands on it. It was honestly easier just to go to the door or whatever and press the button. I do like the kinect though, but I was hoping they would use this instead or also

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

Kinect will hunt you down. Beware!

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
About kinect privacy dangers:
www.dailymotion.com...
(english audio with french subtitles)

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghostfreak1

Is it really surprising. Double edged sword indeed. But lets face it unless somebody gets freaky on the couch and leaves the thing on. Then I think the majority of time they will see a bunch of people laying on there couches with potato chips strewn thought, and maybe the kinetic will record and profile that they like to pick there nose every 30 minutes or so and drink lots of soda. This is what people wanted a few years ago, you know you seen it in movies and TV shows such as the jetsons, you clap your hands or talk to a machine and it directly connects you to everything...The wave of the future.

Seems there gonna implement it into PC as well, was getting tired of the mouse and keyboard thing. Wave of the future, always a double edged sword indeed. Jeez! Just hook it directly into my neural cortex already. I am more worried about hackers, scamers looking for your personal info, and other such people and entities, then the fact that the thing will watch and constantly profile you so Microsoft and other companies can sell you stuff and so that the government and others will know how you will think and react in any given situation.

The things you own eventually end up owning you, its been true in the past with horse and carriage technology, so why would people think that as things become more technological and advanced that such a fact wont be just that much more true, and that much more inconspicuous.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
the german and Australian governments have raised privacy concerns due to the xbone announcement' MS have responded that there will be the option to turn it off,

it is strange that a slew of MS adverts very recently carry the tag line `your privacy is our priority`
edit on 28-5-2013 by pigsy2400 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join