It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feeling a Pull Towards England

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I've had a yearning for Scotland for ages - I've been nurturing an ambition to move there for at least 20 years now, albeit half-heartedly.

Don't know why...maybe to escape from the globalised hell-hole that England has become over the years.

I love the Roman heritage that England has - that Scotland sadly lacks (though it still seems preferable).

Are you of English ancestry? That would explain the "pull".

If you are of Polish or Italian ancestry, say, it would be more of a mystery.

(Either way, I don't think we need the 'past life hypothesis' to explain it)

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Oh please come and visit....you will fall in love with Scotland for sure. We live in the Highlands and will be your tour guides if you make it this far north! It's not warm really at any time of the year, and winter is definitely not the best time to visit. Not only does it tend to be extremely cold, but we get very short daylight hours. You could spend months exploring castles, scenery, wildlife, coastlines, islands, and if you like taking photos, you will love it here. It's a very photogenic place, albeit a bit moody. There is also a huge and very productive art community in Scotland, lots of galleries and studios to visit. Have I sold you a trip yet?

I say explore your instincts and see where it leads.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   

This may not be the same but whenever i see the pillars of creation
i feel the same thing, Like i belong there(i know it sounds daft)

Chester is not as bad as people say to visit

forgot your SaF
edit on 19/5/2013 by maryhinge because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
I feel a strong pull to anywhere but here(UK) so don't be deceived into thinking the grass is greener over here.

Things are worse here than in the US, the people just dont realise it yet.

I saw your thread concerning the testing you have to do in class, its just the same here.

The grass is always greener, as you yourself are saying by making the suggestion that things are better in the USA.

This is all objective though, isn't it? It's all about personal opinion and experiences. I can pretty much guarantee that I would rather live in the UK than the USA, because we don't have massive gun crime, we don't have the TSA, we don't have indefinite detention, we don't have the Patriot Act, we are further along in gay equality, we are less religious... there are plenty of reasons why the UK is MUCH better than a lot of countries.

Yet, there are still a lot of idiots here in this country who seem to think that the Muslim population has somehow wrestled control of our government away from us!? How exactly?
People screaming about the immigrants to the UK seem to ignore that this is STILL one of the most liberal countries, despite the Conservatives calling the shots. We still do not have religious groups making major decisions. We don't have radical Muslims deciding ANYTHING, and in fact there is more influence from Christian bigots than any other!

I would say that people need to think long and hard about moving somewhere and consider the future and not just how things are now. But there are a hell of a lot of places that a far worse off than the UK, and the idiotic right-wing tabloid readers need to educate themselves a little, look out of the window, read something other than the Daily Fail and realize that 90% of those "evil Muslims" are not extremists in the slightest, and have less influence over our country than right-wing Christian fanatics.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   
The fact is that England swings like a pendulum do, bobbies on bicycles two by two. And if that's not enough to get you packing and selling your extra stuff then pinch yourself because you may be a hologram.

When you move don't forget the chunnel, which is like an escape hatch.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by caitlinfae

Oh please come and visit....you will fall in love with Scotland for sure. We live in the Highlands and will be your tour guides if you make it this far north! It's not warm really at any time of the year, and winter is definitely not the best time to visit. Not only does it tend to be extremely cold, but we get very short daylight hours. You could spend months exploring castles, scenery, wildlife, coastlines, islands, and if you like taking photos, you will love it here. It's a very photogenic place, albeit a bit moody. There is also a huge and very productive art community in Scotland, lots of galleries and studios to visit. Have I sold you a trip yet?

I say explore your instincts and see where it leads.

It's on my list of things to do before I croak. Only problem is, hubby wants to visit Peru and other Central/South American countries.

We may end up taking two different trips.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

The fact is that England swings like a pendulum do, bobbies on bicycles two by two.

When Roger Miller said that back in 1965, it was probably an accurate portrayal of England at the time.

I remember bobbies 'on the beat'...one on his own walking the streets, sometimes two together.

Before mass immigration ruined everything.

Ah, take me back...

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by CJCrawley

The fact is that England swings like a pendulum do, bobbies on bicycles two by two.

When Roger Miller said that back in 1965, it was probably an accurate portrayal of England at the time.

I remember bobbies 'on the beat'...one on his own walking the streets, sometimes two together.

Ah, take me back...

Thanks for getting the reference. I tried to remember more of the song, something in there about the Tower of Big Ben, which is actually renamed now (sigh). Gotta get me a bobbie uniform for Halloween dress-up this year!

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Maybe your genes or DNA are holding memories of your ancesters.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Clock Tower

As been known as st. Stephens Tower

and as now been renamed Elizabeth Tower

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by CJCrawley

I love the Roman heritage that England has

I believe a team of archeologists discovered a rock engraving made by an Ancient Brit in the year 213 which read ...

Ah, take me back...

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I too have a yearning to visit England. Upon doing some research, including what I've heard here, I know there are some "problem" areas, but we have that here in the USA (Detroit, et ux).

I've read about people (in the late 1800s), from various English colonies around the world, describing their high expectations before their arrival in England, but soon disappointed by what they saw after setting foot on the dock. I'd say the same is true for any place in the world, except Hawaii.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Scotland is awesome in all ways except one-the MIDGES!!!!(like tiny mosquitoes).
Those things can turn the sky black in seconds,can drive you to madness,and carry on itching for months in my experience.
No insect repellent seems to work at least not for me.
That aside,Scotland is amazing,especially the highlands and Lochs.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I'm the opposite, I want to get out of England.It's ruined, if my grandfather and great grandfather could see what's happened to this country, they would turn in their graves.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I know the feeling well. There are specific places in the world that "call" to me in my heart. My regret in life is that I didn't set myself to be able to travel to all those other "homes" of mine. Instead, I got the mortgage, the debt, the corporate job.

As a kid, we learned about Japan, India and Brazil in school--and I wanted to go to all of them, but mostly to India.

As a teen, I needed to go to Europe, but made it only to Ireland for six months. Ireland is my home. I never needed a map, I felt as if I knew it like the back of my hand, especially up and down the west coast, and Kilkenny, Kells, Thomastown, Inistioge area. Been back several times, and each time my heart feels like it will explode with joy once I grab my rental car and start driving toward Kilkenny.

My "call" has also been screaming at me to go to Scotland, particularly the western coast, Iona, Skye and way up north. To a lesser degree, Wales west coast and Cornwall area are calling.

But, there are other places---Brittany, Andalusia, Crete, Croatia, Iceland, Scandinavia, Italy along the coast, Instanbul, Namibia, New Zealand and Australia, Nepal and Bhutan, Mongolia and some areas of China. And the weirdest one for me is Patagonia.

So, if I had been lucky enough to win that Powerball, I would have gone home to all the places that call to me!

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Q33323
I too have a yearning to visit England. Upon doing some research, including what I've heard here, I know there are some "problem" areas, but we have that here in the USA (Detroit, et ux).

From experience, there are places to avoid. Manchester, Birmingham and London are generally considered to be the roughest. London is different from area to area though, for instance Soho or Camden might be decent and interesting places to live if you love the night-life and diverse culture without too much risk, and then Brixton and Hackney are areas you would want to avoid.

These are not dangerous areas because of immigrants or Muslims though, they're dangerous because of British gangs, violent youth raised in this country by selfish parents, they've grown up on a diet of "wannabe gangster" BS.

That's the problem with a lot of xenophobes who live here and read all the right wing propaganda. They like to blame all the immigrants for all our problems, but they refuse to accept that the vast majority of the lazy ass people claiming benefits fraudulently in this country are British. Frankly, I would rather see decent and hard working immigrants coming here and living alongside me, than pay taxes for British chavs to do nothing but breed, drink and fight outside clubs every weekend.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Q33323

I've read about people (in the late 1800s), from various English colonies around the world, describing their high expectations before their arrival in England, but soon disappointed by what they saw after setting foot on the dock. I'd say the same is true for any place in the world, except Hawaii.

Yes Hawaii is beautiful - I loved it and want to go back.
How did Hawaii end up American anyway, I thought it was British for years then they gave them[ them as in the Hawaiian islands] back home rule, so how did the Americans get their 'mits' on that wonderful island ?
edit on 19-5-2013 by HelenConway because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazmeister
I'm the opposite, I want to get out of England.It's ruined, if my grandfather and great grandfather could see what's happened to this country, they would turn in their graves.

They would.. but there is still the old England in many many places - you need to move

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Dear Smyleegrl !
I usually don’t bother posting much; but I think I understand where you are getting at.
You are probably not talking about this centuries, or todays England.
You are feeling “roots”, am I thinking correctly?
I often have this feeling myself; there is some sort of connection.
To way back when…
I am originally from across the North Sea from England. Years back, I did extensive research on my families’ ancestry background. My mother’s maiden name derives from Scandinavian origin, and I had learned that many of those Vikings had travelled over to Scotland and settled there.
Maybe this is where my connection with the British Isles comes from.
Many of us originated from that part of the world, hundreds of years ago.
Maybe you do some research yourself; I won’t be surprised if you will find out that some of your ancestors came from that part of the world. This would explain your connection to the old country, and the maybe hidden longing to your true existence.
I hope I assumed right and this helps a little.
And may I recommend a book for you, which I am sure you will truly enjoy?
Mists of Avalon, by Marion Zimmer Bradley.
By reading this book, you will probably understand a bit more (or have more questions about your longings, lol).

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by CB6699

I love that book.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join