It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feeling a Pull Towards England

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Greetings, ATS!

All my life I've been drawn to England and, more recently, to Scotland. Kinda strange for an American, IMO. I'm not interested to this degree in other countries (no offense to those countries); it's almost as if something in England calls to me.

Growing up middle class in the South, we never had the funds available for a trip cross country, much less overseas. So I contented my burgeoning obsession with ancient and medieval England by reading anything and everything I could get my hands on.

My sophomore year at college, my dream to travel to England came true when I won a scholarship to study for a semester at Oxford. What an incredible experience! I spent my weekends traveling through the English countryside and it was like coming home. I loved every minute, except for possibly the weather. Although I never made it to Scotland, I did get kinda close when visiting the Lake District. Beautiful beyond words, and this is from someone who grew up in the Great Smoky Mountains of Tennessee.

Even now, I long to return to England and still feel drawn there. I continue to read English history (fiction, non fiction, it's all good) and its my life's ambition to someday return.

Now my question. Does anyone else ever feel this way? To what country or area? Have you managed to visit, and did it meet your expectations?

Most importantly....why do I feel drawn so strongly to England? Past life experience? (I'm still out on the validity of reincarnation, but this is the Bly thing that comes to mind).

Looking forward to your replies!

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I feel the same way about Ireland, but my home is here.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Next time you go to England, take a visit to Bradford, you will soon change your opinion

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by dmsuse
Next time you go to England, take a visit to Bradford, you will soon change your opinion

Or Hull for that matter!

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

It's been my experience that we need to live our dreams to the best of our ability; Otherwise we build resentments.

Resentments are soul killers.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12

It's been my experience that we need to live our dreams to the best of our ability; Otherwise we build resentments.

Resentments are soul killers.

That's a profound statement.

To clarify, I don't feel any resentment about not visiting England again (I did get to spend a wonderful summer there), and this feeling of attraction is more than just a desire to visit. I wish I could explain it better.

For example, I'm obsessed with the time period of Henry VIII and I don't know why. I'm not claiming to be Anne Boleyn or Catherine Howard, but this fascination with all things Tudor seems strange to me.

Just wanted to know if anyone else has ever experienced something similar.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I feel a strong pull to anywhere but here(UK) so don't be deceived into thinking the grass is greener over here.

Things are worse here than in the US, the people just dont realise it yet.

I saw your thread concerning the testing you have to do in class, its just the same here.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
I feel a strong pull to anywhere but here(UK) so don't be deceived into thinking the grass is greener over here.

I saw your thread concerning the testing you have to do in class, its just the same here.

That's not what I mean. Wow, I'm really not explaining myself well tonight. I apologize.

I have no desire to move to England. I'm American, through and through. It's just, I have this fascination/obsession with the historical England. Can't read enough about it, and if I ever get the opportunity to visit again, my travel plans will be to the historical side of England.

Gah....I'm making no sense. Sorry, everyone!

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   

England is a great country, and so is the rest of the UK, despite what you may hear to the contrary.
The very nature of ATS leans towards only hearing the negative - one of the few downsides.

The UK is vibrant in it's diversity whilst still retaining it's rich cultural and social history and heritage.

At this time of year there is truly no greater landscape and scenery - obviously I'm more than just a little bit biased.

I've travelled quite extensively throughout Europe and whilst I've always enjoyed it there's always a tremedous sense of homecoming on my return.

I don't know if your yearning is some echo of a past life - I'm not convinced about reincarnation etc but I suppose there is some evidence to suggest that there may be some truth to it, to be fair though I lean more towards doubting there is, just the natural sceptic in me or have I just become too cynical and closed minded?

Personally I'd love to visit Japan - it's culture is so different to 'our's' and they have a completely different mindset and thought process.

I'd like one day to visit Melbourne in Australia and Auckland in New Zealand.

A few years ago some friends of mine toured the US for just over a month. They travelled from gig to gig in an old camper van and they loved it.
That holds a certain appeal to me.
I'd like to travel around the US in a similar fashion getting off the beaten track away from the usual tourist attractions and experience the 'real' America and it's people.
Hopefully one day.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
When I was visiting San Diego, I had the feeling (and still have it) that I love this city.

But I lived in Japan the last year and I have to say that Osaka is the city where my heart belongs to. I will move back there as soon as possible. Japan is the best country I have ever been too.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Originally posted by VoidHawk

That's not what I mean. Wow, I'm really not explaining myself well tonight. I apologize.

I have no desire to move to England. I'm American, through and through. It's just, I have this fascination/obsession with the historical England. Can't read enough about it, and if I ever get the opportunity to visit again, my travel plans will be to the historical side of England.

Gah....I'm making no sense. Sorry, everyone!

Ah, I get you now

As Freeborn above says, it is a lovely country, and has some interesting history too, something I've only just gotten interested in.
But sadly its being run like every other place on this earth, by a bunch of corrupt -SNIP-

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I love historical England as well, specifically the Jane Austen era. I had not really read her books, until recently, but I when I saw the most recent version of Pride and Prejudice (with Matthew McFayden and Keira Knightly), something really clicked with me. I watched that movie about a million times. I loved everything about it - the clothes, the homes, the farm life, the way they spoke.

This will sound goofy, but I had a weird dream once that I always wondered if it was a past life memory. It sounds a little Jane Eyre-ish. In this dream, I was a young girl from a poor family - it felt like it was either Ireland, England or Wales. My parents somehow got me married off to a man who was semi-well off (compared to my family at least), with his own farm. I had never met him, and I was told he was blind and very socially awkward (he didn't want to do the usual social courtship stuff with women) . In the dream, I was very nervous and scared about spending the rest of my life with some guy I didn't know or love. What if he was mean? My parents seemed sad to see me go, but happy that I was going to be taken care of. At the end of the dream, I was sitting on a bench outside, doing some kind of knitting or needlework, sitting next to this man, and I was relieved that he seemed to be very kind. The time frame on this felt like 1600's or 1700's - I'm not sure.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   

I was born and raised in Nantwich a little English Tudor town, evident by all the old black and white building still standing there. When you grow up in a place like this, you don't really appreciate the history because that is all you know.

It wasn't until I left England for Australia that I came to appreciate the atmosphere of my wonderful childhood. I know it is normal to cherish your childhood memories but thinking back on how Nantwich was then before things got modernized, I feel a sadness and longing for that place.

I have taken many trips back to the UK over the years and the shock of how it has changed is always my first impression but it always astounds me that the atmosphere there is so different to any other place I have visited.

I have often said that if I was transported blindfold to England without being told where in the world I was going , I would still know when I got there, that I was in England rather than France or Germany or anywhere else on the planet, the atmosphere is unique. It feels as though I am walking through a sea of ghosts, I can tangibly feel it's history. It is a welcoming feeling because it reminds me of how my life was.

If you feel a strong connection to England I believe, it is because you have lived a life (or many) on that small magical Island.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
anything medieval fascinates me.
i find it all enchanting

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 04:40 AM
link   

well I do not know how it feels when your vehicle's steering wheel is on the right, I should go to English someday to test that !
once I wanted to study in Manchester university, but I did not. there are rumors that London or England is an expensive country or city.

(people of UK ! do not read this !!) I have heard that miserliness is widespread in UK ! is this right !? or may be people confuse thrifty with miserliness !!!!
edit on 19-5-2013 by maes2 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Listen

From the album "Idlewild" (not "Amplified Heart" as shown in the picture). One of the great albums of our time.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 05:35 AM
link   
When I was a child I was obsessed with ancient Egypt and their gods. I used to make these pyramids out of paper and statues of their gods. I always LOVED history class, I loved to learn about Egypt.

Later, I became interested in ancient Rome and Midieval England.

I used to read a lot of things about Egypt, Rome, England but now the interest is gone, and I don't where it went

Sometimes I wished I lived in those times, which I think i might have done (reincarnation).

When this world ascends i'm hitting the library of akasha asap to learn about my past

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Come live here Smylee - we so need more people like you

Yes to your question - America, when I first visited, it felt like I was ' home', particularly the Southern states and New Mexico. I now want to visit the New England area and go on a riding holiday in Montana.

Also I felt very comfortable with the energies of South Africa, despite the troubles there, what a wonderful, magical, place.

I really want to go to Namibia - so I guess Southern Africa also has a pull for me.

The middle East is magical in places too.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Come and stay with me buddy, we can be in london or anywhere by teatime
Hows your injury by the way? The Tudor period is fascinating, and we have a wealth of extremely old things and places to see, i love dungeons and graveyards.

Would i sway all that for decent weather? Not on your nelly.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Just Chris

Originally posted by dmsuse

Or Hull for that matter!

Yep, im from Hull and he,s right. You,ll never come back after a visit.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join