It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All paths lead to Father?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 05:41 AM
link   
I have seen a quote posted:
Christian, Buddhist, Muslim, Jewish, Hindu...all paths lead to God.

It seems as this would be correct. As what all these have in common, is teaching self to be better.

If religion teaches said person to be better, would that be what Father would want ultimately? As long as you lived life in a good way, no matter how you did it, religion or not.

But, it seems religion wants to claim sole rights on God. (Jesus is the only way, Allah is the true God, etc.)

Would God really punish a person for being good throughout life?

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

Two words... Hell no!

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

Sure, all good spiritual pathways - taken with intent to learn and then evenutually getting some training in - lead to what can be described as god. Another way to put it is there are many paths up a mountain, but when you get to the peak you can see them all. I don't see the conspiracy in religion though.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister
reply to post by jhill76

Sure, all good spiritual pathways - taken with intent to learn and then evenutually getting some training in - lead to what can be described as god. Another way to put it is there are many paths up a mountain, but when you get to the peak you can see them all. I don't see the conspiracy in religion though.

Wouldn't the conspiracy be... all religions try to claim exclusive rights to the path to God?

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Karma is heaps like original sin in my opinion.

Do the jews have anything like 'original sin'? Does Hindu?

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

I have seen a quote posted: Christian, Buddhist, Muslim, Jewish, Hindu...all paths lead to God.

Does lying lead to god? Or, living a lie? Defending a lie? Well, if the religious defend their belief that theirs is the only true path, then either all the other religions are lying, or, no, they're all lying.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

reply to post by jhill76

Wouldn't the conspiracy be... all religions try to claim exclusive rights to the path to God?

Lots of territorial people drift into the organized relgion scam, so yes, they all claim they're the only way because they want to herd the people through their doors. The real teaching stuff comes in the mystical branches of each religion (Sufi's in Muslim, Kabbalah in the Jewish tradition, not really a place to go in most of the christian religions, scientology in scientology, and lots of paths in the wiccan and pagan traditions).

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

religion revolves around fear based dogma/doctrine...

how would one separate that dogma from what is truth?

Simple... find the fear, remove it... and what you're left with might be closer to the truth

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

reply to post by jhill76

Lots of territorial people drift into the organized relgion scam, so yes, they all claim they're the only way because they want to herd the people through their doors. The real teaching stuff comes in the mystical branches of each religion (Sufi's in Muslim, Kabbalah in the Jewish tradition, not really a place to go in most of the christian religions, scientology in scientology, and lots of paths in the wiccan and pagan traditions).

Actually Gnosticism is basically a mystical sect of Christianity...

Im not sure if I agree with what you said though.

so called "mystics" of any religion still have their issues... and in the end, they're still a religion

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I have always found it somewhat of a paradox how most religions both claim to know the will of God, and yet say that God works in ways that we couldn't possibly understand.
God is in many religions considered to be omniscient, but yet he would judge someone for not living up to his standards. I am well aware that most religions also have their ways of explaining how this work, but I am sorry to say that I've never heard an answer that fully satisfied me.

I don't believe God would punish a person who was good all of his life, even if he failed to submit to any religion. The different religions take on what is good, is sometimes in opposition to each other, in conflict, so I find it hard to understand how anyone could possibly know what is truly good by God's standard.
edit on 06/06/12 by Mads1987 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Mads1987

God is within all of us... thus... we all know what is Good according to God...

Some choose not to listen to what is inside though...

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

Would God really punish a person for being good throughout life?

Who knows?

your definition of "good" may be different to mine.

All religions are conspiracies, the few controlling the many.

Anyone claiming to know what happens after we die is lying, no matter what any book says.

None were written by dead men.

Tfw.

edit on 18/5/2013 by Theflyingweldsman because: A single interaction can have multiple interpretations.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

In Buddhism the path of a devoted adept points directly to Mind Only, or Buddha Mind. "God" is a mere eidolon, created by and for stupefied sentient beings, denying themselves their true nature.

Or to quote a contemporary Zen Teacher; "The most concise answer is Buddhism is the religion of awakening since the Indo-Aryan word “buddha” simply means, ‘awakened’. Next, we might ask to what, specifically do we awaken? We would not be off the mark to say that one who becomes Buddha awakens to ultimate reality, or the same, the Dharma. This is made clear when the Buddha reflected in his mind the reality or Dharma he had just discovered."
edit on 18-5-2013 by johncarter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   
No. Saying "all paths lead to God" is not only bad religion, it's bad logic.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by FollowTheWhiteRabbit

It's more accurate to say that all paths lead to God (or Goddess) but the individual has to first start on the path, be determined not to wander off it, persist through obstacles, and stop often to smell the flowers.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by FollowTheWhiteRabbit

I think "All roads lead to death" would be closer to the truth.

After that, it's all speculation.

edit on 18/5/2013 by Theflyingweldsman because: there is a reason for everything

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Not necessarily...

Eventually all will return to where we came from.... so technically all paths (lives) lead to God

Good or bad...

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

No.

If Islam is saying that Jesus wasn't the Messiah, and Christianity is saying that He was the Messiah, and Buddhism doesn't believe in a personal God, then we have a problem. They can't all be right.

This modern day relativism in society is getting absurd. Things aren't relative. You can't live more than 24 hours with a relativistic mindset. Either something is, or it isn't. Something can't be and not be at the same time and in the same relationship.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   

reply to post by Akragon

No.

If Islam is saying that Jesus wasn't the Messiah, and Christianity is saying that He was the Messiah, and Buddhism doesn't believe in a personal God, then we have a problem. They can't all be right.

This modern day relativism in society is getting absurd. Things aren't relative. You can't live more than 24 hours with a relativistic mindset. Either something is, or it isn't. Something can't be and not be at the same time and in the same relationship.

Jesus never claimed to be an exclusive god, he said "ye are gods", etc (lots of examples of Jesus facepalming himself as he tried to teach the illiterate and barbaric people - and that's in his own band of apostles, let alone the crowds lulling about). There is no problem - God, no God, some God, they are all talking about the same thing anyway. Language isn't used on those levels.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   

reply to post by Akragon

No.

What if they're all wrong and none of us have a clue as to Jesus relationship with the Father...

Does that mean we're all lost?

Mans ego gets in the way of truth... Personal truth isn't always universal...

And who cares what people say he was? Some say he was God... some say he was just a man...

But does any of it change what he left us?

Nope...

<<   2  3  4 >>

join