It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which ones would you have believed in?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Please pick a few of the gods and explain why you would have believed in them if you were around at the time when people were worshiping them. Thanks.
Herm-óðr
Seems to be a sort of quasi-god, sort of in the way that Achilles had god-like abilities yet was mortal.
Herm-óðr used his abilities to go through situations that easily could have killed him, but did it because he saw it as something that had to be done, but others (who potentially could have) were too frozen by astonishment to do anything themselves.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by EnochWasRight

While I'm not sure exactly why your bringing up creation since I made no reference to it, I have heard of the physicist in your post. The information was interesting and from further reading it seems it is flawed as well.

mukto-mona.net...

That link covers many of the errors in his calculations and his reasoning if you care to research it.

After looking through the list in the op and reading enochs response I think I would be fine with any god that doesn't require me to kill people and also doesn't need me to learn advanced mathematics, in depth theology, archeology, and biology simply to make sense of the writings compared to the nature world I live in.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I am always amused when someone claims that their god is the real god because their book says so. First, this argument admits to the existence of other gods. Now,The Elder and Lesser Edda are books which contradict the modern religious text. However, the modern book has been mistranslated several times. Look at the bible.First translated into Latin by a guy who lived in a cave. Then in 300 A.D about 1/2 of the books were removed and Christ was finally declared divine before he died. He was not listed as so prior and the priest who came up with the idea was imprisoned by the church for suggesting it (look up the water and wine idea). Then we have the King James VERSION. King James was the king of England; not a religion scholar.The English liked him so much that they cut his head off before he had finished rewriting all the books of the text. This is why his version is missing several books So, since the Edda are complete, and offer a much more enjoyable afterlife, I would say the Odin who foretold the future should win out.
So, back to the main idea of this thread: I like the road to Valhalla! Odin, Thor, and Baldur. Days filled with clash of swords, axes ,and shields, and nights filled with mead, feasting and Valkyries. This trumps a harp and cloud any day.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

dont understand the purpose of the OP
Why dump a bulk of deities 'to pick from '
when a large number of them are the same deities - just in another name ?

or is the purpose of OP to 'show ignorance in a topic, he dont comprehend so well ' ?

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Which ones would you have believed in?,

Impossible to say. It would depend on if I bought into the gods like everyone else around me .. or if I was a free thinker and could see through it all. I guess it would depend on what I was exposed, how I was raised, what I was forced to buy into, and how much 'smarts' my DNA gave me ...

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lone12
reply to post by jiggerj

or is the purpose of OP to 'show ignorance in a topic, he dont comprehend so well ' ?

You are bringing up another relevant fact. At the Babel episode, the languages were cut into many from one. With those languages, the names also migrated and multiplied. Just like Adam's multiplicity to many persons, the original unity was the essence of the truth. Time returns all things back to unity as we cycle back to our origin.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   

reply to post by jiggerj

Christian or Muslim?

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
The One God. Whatever name whichever culture and people may have given to that One God isn't that important to me, especially since I don't speak those languages.

It is very interesting how so many cultures embrace some form of monotheism (even if it isn't exclusive monotheism like in Judaism or Islam).

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Nice. You have four of five that I work with/worship. That fifth one's divinity is debated, however. Good list.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
Seeing as Jesus and Mohamed have only been around for 2,000 years, I'm assuming that most of the gods listed below were invented before Islam and Christianity.

Please pick a few of the gods and explain why you would have believed in them if you were around at the time when people were worshiping them. Thanks.

Not sure I was around but: Thinking about cultures, time frames and or potencials (initiates/believers) I would say from your list if one throws a few thousand Gods (passive underhand lobs or 92 ml an hour fastballs) at the Human maybe one or two will stick; as in remembered (written about). Question is why were there so many trys needed to present a Godform; why was it necessary to introduce a Premier Being to the human in the first place, when it had/held all attributes of God original; as we are its children. I suppose I just answered my own question. God as the humans diaper. Question, how many of these Gods wrote/left a legacy in script, a proclaimation of beingness and intent. We know that Jesus did not.
edit on 16-5-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Quote JiggerJ:

I'm assuming that most of the gods listed below were invented before christianity and islam.

Out of this sentence I figure you believe these gods were invented.

And then you say this....

Originally posted by Murgatroid

Seeing as Jesus and Mohamed have only been around for 2,000 years, I'm assuming that most of the gods listed below were invented before Islam and Christianity.

You know what they say about assuming...

Jesus SPOKE all physical reality into existence LONG before these "gods" were invented...

Jesus declared, “I tell you the truth, before Abraham was born, I AM!”

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God" ~ John 1:1

And, you believe that NONE of those other gods ever said anything like that?

What do you mean with invented? That they are unreal?

And then you say... ta ta tah you believe that none of those gods ever said anything like that?

How can some 'fantasy' speak things into existence?

Who are you talking to Jiggers..

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   

...Please pick a few of the gods and explain why you would have believed in them if you were around at the time when people were worshiping them. ...

Okay - I'll play.
Inanna - because she was something else!
Ningishzidda - one smart cookie
Enki/EA - just because
Marduk - he's received a lot of bad press (some well deserved, but a lot more that was blown out of proportion)
Dummuzi/Tammuz - Agriculture & Shepherding
And...whoever wrote "The Emerald Tablet of Thoth" (was that Ningishzidda?)
Maybe - Quetzlcoatl too!

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Angle

Quote JiggerJ: I'm assuming that most of the gods listed below were invented before christianity and islam. Out of this sentence I figure you believe these gods were invented. And then you say this....

I know, I know. lol I knew someone would pick up on it. Sometimes I comment to express my beliefs, then I reply by trying to communicate to those with opposing beliefs. No big deal. It's a play on words where the idea still comes across.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Ok, let me just lick your face then....

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   

reply to post by jiggerj

Christian or Muslim?

I think Elvis was Christian, you wait in 200 years he will have been elevated to rightful kingship, Graceland becomes the new Solomons temple. Charles1952 has some interesting thoughts as to the Jesus/Elvis connections so may qualify as potencially being the SAME entity at one point (very funny reading).
edit on 17-5-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by drivers1492

Not magic or sorcery being performed in the scriptures at all, it's advanced science. Being the Master, Yeshua is able to manipulate the elements by his will alone. He demonstrates this in John 9 when he mixes the dirt he spat into mud and rubs it in the blind man's eyes, to fix his broken eyes. Manipulating matter on a molecular scale with nothing but his willpower, symbolising when he spat into the dirt and molded Adam from it and brough him to life. Man was not created to be mortal, but immortal, however that was stolen. We are failed gods, born dead into this world where only the real God, whose name we are given to know as Yeshua ha''Moshiach (Jesus the Christ) to know him by, can resurrect us from the dead.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
reply to post by drivers1492

Not magic or sorcery being performed in the scriptures at all, it's advanced science. Being the Master, Yeshua is able to manipulate the elements by his will alone. He demonstrates this in John 9 when he mixes the dirt he spat into mud and rubs it in the blind man's eyes, to fix his broken eyes. Manipulating matter on a molecular scale with nothing but his willpower, symbolising when he spat into the dirt and molded Adam from it and brough him to life. Man was not created to be mortal, but immortal, however that was stolen. We are failed gods, born dead into this world where only the real God, whose name we are given to know as Yeshua ha''Moshiach (Jesus the Christ) to know him by, can resurrect us from the dead.

Are you excluding the old testament? So it was advanced science that the individuals turned staffs into snakes in Exodus 7? While I have no problem at all accepting that ancients were able to do alot of things that is not one I can say I accept. I have never seen anything that would make me believe things like this were in anyway possible in the way they are presented. Of course that view is my own and many argue how we have lost some ancient knowledge and can't do it anymore but it's highly unlikely imo. There are many stories throughout history of fantastic things and they prevail today but there isn't any true support outside of just believing it to be true.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join