It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which ones would you have believed in?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I'd pick one who provides a paradise in heaven, instantly answered prayers, and
free dental cleanings once a year.

Or the one with the prettiest face who is on TV alot....If I'm too busy to research

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
According to archeaological evidence, the last 6,000 years of recorded history, and 4,000 years prior to Christ, mankind had a love for worshipping their dollies (idols) and pretending they were "gods" that could do magic. This ofcourse backs up what the hebrew bible says about the matter.

Now with that in mind, not a damn one of them because they are not real.

Jeremiah 10:1-16

Hear the word which the Lord speaks to you, O house of Israel.

2 Thus says the Lord:

“Do not learn the way of the Gentiles;
Do not be dismayed at the signs of heaven,
For the Gentiles are dismayed at them.
3 For the customs of the peoples are futile;
For one cuts a tree from the forest,
The work of the hands of the workman, with the ax.
4 They decorate it with silver and gold;
They fasten it with nails and hammers
So that it will not topple.
5 They are upright, like a palm tree,
And they cannot speak;
They must be carried,
Because they cannot go by themselves.
Do not be afraid of them,
For they cannot do evil,
Nor can they do any good.”

6 Inasmuch as there is none like You, O Lord
(You are great, and Your name is great in might),
7 Who would not fear You, O King of the nations?
For this is Your rightful due.
For among all the wise men of the nations,
And in all their kingdoms,
There is none like You.
8 But they are altogether dull-hearted and foolish;
A wooden idol is a worthless doctrine.
9 Silver is beaten into plates;
It is brought from Tarshish,
And gold from Uphaz,
The work of the craftsman
And of the hands of the metalsmith;
Blue and purple are their clothing;
They are all the work of skillful men.
10 But the Lord is the true God;
He is the living God and the everlasting King.
At His wrath the earth will tremble,
And the nations will not be able to endure His indignation.

11 Thus you shall say to them: “The gods that have not made the heavens and the earth shall perish from the earth and from under these heavens.”

12 He has made the earth by His power,
He has established the world by His wisdom,
And has stretched out the heavens at His discretion.
13 When He utters His voice,
There is a multitude of waters in the heavens:
“And He causes the vapors to ascend from the ends of the earth.
He makes lightning for the rain,
He brings the wind out of His treasuries.”[a]

14 Everyone is dull-hearted, without knowledge;
Every metalsmith is put to shame by an image;
For his molded image is falsehood,
And there is no breath in them.
15 They are futile, a work of errors;
In the time of their punishment they shall perish.
16 The Portion of Jacob is not like them,
For He is the Maker of all things,
And Israel is the tribe of His inheritance;
The Lord of hosts is His name.

edit on 15-5-2013 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Going by my last post, God is evident as the light, not by the light. That is witness one.

Witness two comes by the evidence and demonstration of dimensional knowledge of future events. Only one God can claim to accurately draw the future into the past. Only one God can show the future in two directions. We see it coming and arriving. Name one of those Gods listed that can do this and you have named one of names of Abraham's God. He goes by many. Each identifier can only describe an attribute and never the larger picture.

Witness three is the last fact stated. One name or quality can never define an infinite and eternal God.

One rises to the top. Can we get a witness? How many do you want?

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
it seems that Julius Ceaser was inadvertenly left off the list...
and Simon Magus.
two more gods from the bible.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by tinhattribunal
and Simon Magus.

Never predicted the future and was seen in the light. They fail the test as well.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Wow, and you don't think any other religion has writings that say their deity is the right one?

Reminds me of an image posted here long time ago, where on a piece of napkin it said:

"The napkin religion is the right one, because it says so on this napkin".

You cannot prove you're right by quoting your own religious text, that's insane.

edit on 15-5-2013 by Kharron because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Jesus is just as much an idol as any other god in history. The only difference is that he's the latest one to come around.

I'm sure you'd have just as hard of a time convincing a Greek from 3,000 years ago that Zeus didn't exist, or a Hindu that Krishna doesn't exist, or a Mormon that Kolob doesn't exist, ad infinitum.

It all depends on when and where you were raised.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I may have been drawn to Zarathustra, though technically he was not a god, but more of a prophet.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Nope. None of them existed, so how could they have said anything? You know, Jigger, you and I differ in our belief of how many gods there are by only one -- given your gigantic list of potential gods, I think that's a pretty insignificant difference, lol.

Cute!

Sooo, when it comes to the other thousands of gods, you're an atheist too, huh?

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Kharron

Probably the one everyone else believed in... people forget that their right religion is only 'right' because they were born in that particular place on Earth.

I'd believe in that one too! There was no secular government back then to protect the rights of all religions. So, if I didn't believe (wink wink) I'd be killed or harassed and refused jobs to support my family.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnochWasRight

and Simon Magus.

Never predicted the future and was seen in the light. They fail the test as well.

You write a couple thousand pages and I bet you'll hit on a couple predictions too. Plus, the one thing the writers of the bible had was the understanding of humans and human nature.

Donning my mystic turban. I see... I see... YES! I see war in the future. Governments will fall. Nations will be torn asunder. Politicians will lie. And all that crap.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
did anyone actually look through that list to choose one? should i quit my job?

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Originally posted by EnochWasRight

and Simon Magus.

You write a couple thousand pages and I bet you'll hit on a couple predictions too. Plus, the one thing the writers of the bible had was the understanding of humans and human nature.

Donning my mystic turban. I see... I see... YES! I see war in the future. Governments will fall. Nations will be torn asunder. Politicians will lie. And all that crap.

More specific than what you say.

Read the Sermon on the Mount. It only takes a few minutes. Ask yourself the question: Can EnochWasRight, in all his musings on truth, accomplish this work of salvation from faith?

Read Revelation 13

18 This calls for wisdom. Let the person who has insight calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man. That number is 666.

Let's assume for a minute that the mark of mankind is Carbon (6 protons, 6 electrons and 6 neutrons) and our fruit of knowledge is a graven image made from Carbon (Technology) and that this image will ultimately spell our demise. Let's see it coming and ask a simple question:

Can I buy and sell? Yes. Why? Simple. I have not sold all I own and I do not pickup my cross, giving all I own to the poor (No selfishness at all). If I did, I could say that I do not have the mark of the beast (Animal nature of selfishness). Didn't Christ say that this was necessary? Didn't he say that the sermon on the mount was the measure of the Christian life?

Let me give Jiggerj and my own righteousness a riddle? How do we overcome? You and I are on either side of the debate, yet we are equal against what Christ demands of us. Are we lost? Give me your best answer.

edit on 15-5-2013 by EnochWasRight because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   

The book you are quoting from while it does say that god is the one god there is no other it at the same time make many references to the other gods of man. Just as you point of "pretending" their gods could do magic I will assume that you simply accept that magic and sorcery are just real since that is also in the scripture being performed. Perhaps since your using archeological evidence you might research when your personal god actually seems to come on the scene. It's not 6000 years ago. Odd that the supreme god doesn't have a constant history don't you think? If that deity existed personally I think we should be able to establish a solid timeline throughout instead of midway through. off topic sorry just wanted to respond to this particular post.

On topic the greek and roman gods were interesting I think I would have to vote for zues and the pantheon.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by drivers1492

The book you are quoting from while it does say that god is the one god there is no other it at the same time make many references to the other gods of man. Just as you point of "pretending" their gods could do magic I will assume that you simply accept that magic and sorcery are just real since that is also in the scripture being performed. Perhaps since your using archeological evidence you might research when your personal god actually seems to come on the scene. It's not 6000 years ago. Odd that the supreme god doesn't have a constant history don't you think? If that deity existed personally I think we should be able to establish a solid timeline throughout instead of midway through. off topic sorry just wanted to respond to this particular post.

On topic the greek and roman gods were interesting I think I would have to vote for zues and the pantheon.

As many will do here on ATS, you miss the words used in Genesis 1 and 2. In Genesis 1, we have Elohim creating the image of creation and mankind in perfection. This is, for us, the world to come. There is no dictation for how old this world is or how long a day of creation of an image requires. If we consult the other verse that starts, "In the beginning," we see that the image was produced with Word (Information). What would we expect from a copy of something else. A programmer does the very same with a computer reality. Design happens first.

In Genesis 2, we have the LORD engaging the image into the present world of matter. In a hologram, light shines on the voxel (Particle) around it's surface. Bind particles together and you have the mechanism for particle / Wave duality, with the wave being the WORD that engages and renders the image from the holographic process.

At a minimum there are 14 days of creation. Genesis 1 is 6 days with a day of rest. Genesis 2 is six more followed by our own history. Adam is created on day 6. We assume a day of rest again. That's 14 days plus the last 6.

John 1

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

God is Genesis 1. The Son of God is the copy.

Hebrews 9

23 It was necessary, then, for the copies of the heavenly things to be purified with these sacrifices, but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these. 24 For Christ did not enter a sanctuary made with human hands that was only a copy of the true one; he entered heaven itself, now to appear for us in God’s presence. 25 Nor did he enter heaven to offer himself again and again, the way the high priest enters the Most Holy Place every year with blood that is not his own. 26 Otherwise Christ would have had to suffer many times since the creation of the world. But he has appeared once for all at the culmination of the ages to do away with sin by the sacrifice of himself. 27 Just as people are destined to die once, and after that to face judgment, 28 so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him.

What is our salvation from? The IMAGE!

1 Corinthians 13

11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

If you are aware of how time dilation works, you would know that the relative nature of Space/Time and Matter/Energy dictates that frame of reference and perspective with an image dictates relation to unites of measure. Since God tells this story from a position outside our time, he uses a day as the same interval by dilation of the laws governing the process.

Explained Here

This guy is a physicist.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by EnochWasRight

More specific than what you say.

Read the Sermon on the Mount. It only takes a few minutes. Ask yourself the question: Can EnochWasRight, in all his musings on truth, accomplish this work of salvation from faith?

Read Revelation 13

18 This calls for wisdom. Let the person who has insight calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man. That number is 666.

Let's assume for a minute that the mark of mankind is Carbon (6 protons, 6 electrons and 6 neutrons) and our fruit of knowledge is a graven image made from Carbon (Technology) and that this image will ultimately spell our demise. Let's see it coming and ask a simple question:

Can I buy and sell? Yes. Why? Simple. I have not sold all I own and I do not pickup my cross, giving all I own to the poor (No selfishness at all). If I did, I could say that I do not have the mark of the beast (Animal nature of selfishness). Didn't Christ say that this was necessary? Didn't he say that the sermon on the mount was the measure of the Christian life?

Let me give Jiggerj and my own righteousness a riddle? How do we overcome? You and I are on either side of the debate, yet we are equal against what Christ demands of us. Are we lost? Give me your best answer.

I'll answer it as well. The answer is, "We cannot do it ourselves." It was Christ's cross the bear. The risen Christ will conquer the Serpent. Who is the risen Christ? The church. We are the body. Who crushes the head of Satan? The heel.

1 Corinthians 10

14 Therefore, my dear friends, flee from idolatry. 15 I speak to sensible people; judge for yourselves what I say. 16 Is not the cup of thanksgiving for which we give thanks a participation in the blood of Christ? And is not the bread that we break a participation in the body of Christ? 17 Because there is one loaf, we, who are many, are one body, for we all share the one loaf.

We, who are many, are one loaf. That loaf has a heel on either end.

1 Corinthians 15

If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body. 45 So it is written: “The first man Adam became a living being”; the last Adam, a life-giving spirit.

What does faith give us? Salvation from this world and a new Heaven and Earth. We receive a new robe (Body) and Crown (Mind).

Name the God that would allow grace and mercy to pay my penalty and debt, returning all things as new. Name the one on the list. There is only one. All the other names bow to the name above all names.

edit on 15-5-2013 by EnochWasRight because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

YHVH

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

she's a hottie!

to add... good thread jigger, stuff like this makes me feel less and less and less and less (ad. infinitum) guilty of supossed sins.

This pic gives a whole new meaning to junk in the trunk. Ewwwww!

Ganesh lol, its a dude. Son of Shiva.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   

she's a hottie!

to add... good thread jigger, stuff like this makes me feel less and less and less and less (ad. infinitum) guilty of supossed sins.

I am curious as to why you would even think Ganesh is a female?
I am curious if Ganesh would be insulted of humored by it. Being the patron of arts and sciences and deva of intelligence and wisdom I am betting…the latter as ignorance is only a lack of knowledge...:

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Please pick a few of the gods and explain why you would have believed in them if you were around at the time when people were worshiping them. Thanks.

I think the question comes down to - if you could project yourself to a time, place, and occupation/social class of your choosing, and still retain the innermost feelings you have about life, the universe, and everything, what would you choose?

Athena would be a good choice covering a fairly long time period and a fairly large territory. That's assuming that I lived either near one of the towns or villages that had a storyteller who knew the stories of Odysseus, or a gifted poet or two. I doubt that I would have been the sort to have learned to read or write.

I can see how so much wishful thinking is involved in this exercise. Wouldn't we all just love to have been in the reading and writing class of society!

If it were up to me, I would be a leisured aristocrat debating the relative merits of Epicureanism, Platonism, and Stoicism. I would favor Epicureanism for it's non superstition and freedom from fear due to understanding that the gods are concerned about their own affairs and don't expend the time or energy to bother with us mortals.

Sky Father - is available in every time and every place. Tengri, Zeus, Jupiter. Stripped of anthropomorphic myth, He quite obviously exists, just look up and there he is - Big Blue Himself. Even if I lived among sun worshipers, I could join in, while they looked up to the sun, I could look up to Heaven. No one would be the wiser.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join