It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GMO corn and health risks - You are ingesting this daily without really knowing, UNTIL NOW!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest

Originally posted by Char-Lee
reply to post by Hopechest

Ok then how about just using our own heads?

Insecticide that we used to wash off the outside of our food, is NOW inside of our food and we have no choice but eat it.

The foods such as corn and beets used for sugar used to be cleaned before being made into sugar and syrup to add to foods because they were covered in pesticides....NOW?

Certainly no one wants to ingest toxins but we do everyday. When I drive around LA with the windows down how many toxins am I putting in my body or when I stop to get gas how many toxins go into my body?

What are the exact benefits of GMO grown crops and to these possible risks need to be considered when looking at those benefits?

Benefits: More money for the grower. There is zero benefits to you, they were not designed to give you a benefit in health and no one has claimed that they do. The process is to grow more food around the world and make more money.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Insecticide that we used to wash off the outside of our food, is NOW inside of our food and we have no choice but eat it.

The foods such as corn and beets used for sugar used to be cleaned before being made into sugar and syrup to add to foods because they were covered in pesticides....NOW?

Certainly no one wants to ingest toxins but we do everyday. When I drive around LA with the windows down how many toxins am I putting in my body or when I stop to get gas how many toxins go into my body?

What are the exact benefits of GMO grown crops and to these possible risks need to be considered when looking at those benefits?

Benefits: More money for the grower. There is zero benefits to you, they were not designed to give you a benefit in health and no one has claimed that they do. The process is to grow more food around the world and make more money.

Certainly growing more food is a noble goal.

I know of many very poor countries with harsh environments that could benefit from sturdier crops. I believe that once we deal with the associated issues concerning GMO foods, such as patenting rights, and as soon as we know there are no serious health risks, that the world will benefit greatly from GMO crops.

I hope one day that we can grow the most nutritous foods of any type in any place in the world.

edit on 15-5-2013 by Hopechest because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Char, I couldn't agree with you more! The true bottomline is money your absolutely correct. These companies don't care one iota about the effects that their poisons have on us, just as long they can bank.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   

There is so much out there if you look. Corn syrup is in almost everything and it is now poison.

Monsanto and the EPA swore that the genetically engineered corn would only harm insects. They stated that the Bt-toxin produced inside the plant would be completely destroyed in the human digestive system. They said it would not have any impact on the health of consumers. Unfortunately they have been proven wrong, because not only is Bt corn producing resistant "superpests", researchers have also found that the Bt-toxin can badly affect human health. In 2011, doctors at Sherbrooke University Hospital in Quebec found Bt-toxin in the blood of: - 93 percent of pregnant women tested - 80 percent of umbilical blood in their babies, and - 67 percent of non-pregnant women Read more: digitaljournal.com...

“Several animal studies indicate serious health risks associated with GM food, including infertility, immune problems, accelerated aging, insulin regulation, and changes in major organs and the gastrointestinal system. …There is more than a casual association between GM foods and adverse health effects. There is causation…” Read more: digitaljournal.com...

edit on 15-5-2013 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

Once again, and this proves the point I was making, this report says that this BT toxin may or may not cause problems but it hasn't yet.

There are so many toxins put into our bodies everyday that I do not see why people are worried about this until something bad actually does happen.

Eating a Big-Mac is proven to be bad for you yet this report you referenced only alludes to possible harmful effects and is obviously, after looking at the source, written by a very biased source.

Why not just put a needle in your arm with some more toxins? If already receiving toxins on a daily base is enough for you to accept that you cant do anything about it and might as well let it happen :/

Heck, people are killed everyday, might as well grab a gun and shoot some more? Theyll die sometime anyway!

No, there are indeed toxins in my body of which I have no control over how they get/got there, thats not a reason to accept any that I DO have a choice over. Its poison, period.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

I know of many very poor countries with harsh environments that could benefit from sturdier crops. I believe that once we deal with the associated issues concerning GMO foods, such as patenting rights, and as soon as we know there are no serious health risks, that the world will benefit greatly from GMO crops.

I hope one day that we can grow the most nutritous foods of any type in any place in the world.

Except for the silly little fact there there are scientifically proven methods (that have been suppressed) for growing crops that work a million times better, do not involve screwing with the building blocks of life, are not pattentable, etcetc. These methods produce much higher yields just as well, but Monsanto cant make money off that now can they? Monsanto cant put poison in our food that way can they?

Ill have to come back to this post with sources as I dont have them at hand.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Strawberry88

Well I'd love to see those other methods and compare them.

As for screwing with the building blocks of life I'm quite of a different opinion. I do not believe they are sacred but should be manipulated by us to improve our lives.

I can't wait for the day we can genetically modify ourselves to get rid of disease or change this or that we don't like about ourselves. Incorporate technology, such as nano into that and I believe it is the next phase of evolution for the human race.

Would you not genetically modify your intelligence to an extreme level if you could?

Why not?

Starting with crops is just the beginning of a very long and exciting journey for the human race. Fix the problems with GMO foods by all means but its a technology that needs to be expanded upon.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Ok, I hate to be judgmental, but you are either very naive, or just want to be argumentative.
All it takes is a few hours on the internet to make a fairly informed decision, (although why the links here aren't helping, IDK)

And if you think that these plants are so great, just think about this:
They are injecting them with chemicals. The head of the FDA is an ex Monsatan employee. Rumor has it, they don't eat food in their cafeteria made with GMO crops. Many other countries are making labeling mandatory, as a cautionary measure, but we in the US let Monsatan spend MILLIONS to fight the labeling here.

In the very least, any company that is spending as much money as they do, to tell me their product is ok, yet slanders anyone who tries to do independent long term studies, is shady.
Obviously nobody is going to change your mind, and that is ok. Just don't expect most of us to feel the same.
edit on 15-5-2013 by chiefsmom because: sp

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

There are many reports filled with assumptions and weak testing standards but as far as I can tell, there simply has not been enough data collected to empircally say one way or another whether they are harmful.

You are a bartender, not a scientist. Why don't we leave the testing standards to the experts, hmm?

And, yes, we have been genetically modifying species for years, but, this is different. Crossing species of plants/selective breeding.... and splicing genes are two completely different animals.

Sometimes, I think you disagree just for the sake of disagreeing.
edit on 15-5-2013 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn

There are many reports filled with assumptions and weak testing standards but as far as I can tell, there simply has not been enough data collected to empircally say one way or another whether they are harmful.

You are a bartender, not a scientist. Why don't we leave the testing standards to the experts, hmm?

And, yes, we have been genetically modifying species for years, but, this is different. Crossing species of plants/selective breeding.... and splicing genes are two completely different animals.

Sometimes, I think you disagree just for the sake of disagreeing.
edit on 15-5-2013 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

Yes I am not a scientist and I am all for in-depth testing so we can learn the extent of harmful effects. If they are bad than they should not be on the market.

As for labeling of GMO foods I support that 100%.

I just will not jump on the GMO foods are killers bandwagon without evidence to back it up. I'm also not saying they are healthy, I'm simply saying we don't know yet so lets gather the correct data to find that out before we make assumptions.

As for Monsanto business practices I will certainly agree they are horrendous and need to be addressed.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Yes Hope a glorious goal. They are polishing up the apple just for you!

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Yes I am not a scientist and I am all for in-depth testing so we can learn the extent of harmful effects. If they are bad than they should not be on the market. As for labeling of GMO foods I support that 100%. I just will not jump on the GMO foods are killers bandwagon without evidence to back it up. I'm also not saying they are healthy, I'm simply saying we don't know yet so lets gather the correct data to find that out before we make assumptions. As for Monsanto business practices I will certainly agree they are horrendous and need to be addressed.

There is a wealth of information out there, Hopechest. I encourage you to do a little more research before you assume that they are safe and have no long-term effects.

Do you really want to eat food that has insecticide INSIDE of it?

Why anyone would think that is even remotely a good idea... is beyond me.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

First I would like to point out that hybridizing plants is not the same thing as genetically modifying them. Hybrids happen when the pollen from one plant fertilizes another, it is a natural process that happens in the wild as well. People have been utilizing the process to get better crops for a long time, I could play in my greenhouse and create my own tomato on my spare time if I so choose.

Genetically modifying something screws with the inherent natural processes. We have already seen cancers and other diseases on the rise due to damage to our own DNA because of the toxins that you have mentioned. Why would we eat food that has already been damaged on the genetic level and expect it to be good for us? I know people who have developed food allergies to corn later in life, conveniently enough, since the genetically modified corn has gained traction in the food market. Someone else already mentioned that corn syrup is in everything anymore! If you want to feed the world better then don't make me pay $6 for a loaf of bread hasn't been ruined by this crap food. I don't think that it is any coincidence either that the obesity and chronic disease rates have also shot through the roof.

As far as being a humanitarian effort, that is BS. The farmers should not have to buy NEW seed every year when they can harvest it from their own crops as they have done forever. The small family farmers are the only ones who can't afford those practices. It creates an environment that supports the massive commercial farms who don't care about a local community and poison things along the way. To them it is all about the bottom line, the shareholders come first you know. How about the poor farmers in third world countries? If our small family farms in our relatively wealthy nation can't afford it, then where does that leave the poorer nations?

There are other methods, they have been used forever to nourish the land as well as the crops to feed humanity up until now. Investigate the soil food web, composting and vermicomposting. Plants and animals work hand in hand on a farm, together they make quite a little food cycle. Animal eats plant, poops out plant, plant is nourished by poop, and grows to be a stronger healthier plant. The life energy is allowed to cycle through and continue to recycle to create a healthy food web. There are organic farms that can and do create wonderful food. It takes more work and more resources to accomplish, so the food is more expensive and therefore out of reach for people sometimes.

Monsanto isn't doing anybody any favors, except for themselves and their agenda. I rely on my seed from previous years and I have 2 small children to raise, why should I, or anyone else, be beholden to a corporation to provide basic sustenance to our families?

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

reply to post by Strawberry88

Well I'd love to see those other methods and compare them.

As for screwing with the building blocks of life I'm quite of a different opinion. I do not believe they are sacred but should be manipulated by us to improve our lives.

I can't wait for the day we can genetically modify ourselves to get rid of disease or change this or that we don't like about ourselves. Incorporate technology, such as nano into that and I believe it is the next phase of evolution for the human race.

Would you not genetically modify your intelligence to an extreme level if you could?

Why not?

Starting with crops is just the beginning of a very long and exciting journey for the human race. Fix the problems with GMO foods by all means but its a technology that needs to be expanded upon.

No i wouldnt. Why? Because its unnatural for starters. Because it would most likely take away the pleasures of life, including the bad ones. Because transhumanism or anything related is not something id consider. Why do people want to live forever? Self entitlement and an irrational fear of death. Billions have gone before me and I want to.give the billions after me a chance too. Why do you want te be all-knowing? SouNDS boring to me, i get a lot of pleasure out of looking back at my past self and realizing how I didnt know stuff back then that I do now. Like watching a movie after you've just received a 2 hour long summarized reading about it... Booooooooooring.

Anyway, this is getting completely offtopic and I feel my answer is not really one to your question, so lets just get back OT.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   

This is an informative read
responsibletechnology.org...

Just wondering if you'd eat the same food (Round Up Ready Soybeans) that caused the rats testicles to change?

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
All I know about this, is one of my rabbits ate dried corn on cob because (mistakenly) we thought it would be a nice treat.

The day we gave it to her, she had two grand mal seizures and one the next day.

We had changed nothing about her diet nor her environment, so we thought it must be the corn and took it away. After we gave her vitamins in her water and so far she has been alright.

We willl never give her, or her companions, corn ever again.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   

When doing a meta-analysis of existing scientific study, one must always ask: WHO is doing the studying, and WHO is paying for it? Studies can always be skewed to create the desired result. It's research design 101.

Personally, I doubt you did more than read the summaries of a few studies courtesy of the GMO industry and the USDA, but whatever.

Tell you what: You go ahead and eat nothing but GMO foods, and drink the chemically-laced Kool-Aid. Those of us who are skeptical that these companies put our safety over massive profits will continue to avoid it whenever possible.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   

haha! haha! What is wrong with you exactly? You always come into threads trying to disprove or "debunk" something, and you ask people for evidence or research. How about YOU do some research!

Jesus Christ!

Let's see here, I'm going to do a GOOGLE search yeah a GOOGLE search, here we go tinkerbell, hold on tight.... woaahahahah!!!

www.huffingtonpost.com...

www.naturalnews.com...

theautomaticearth.com...

Way to go Hungary!

I wonder why now many countries in Europe have banned Monsanto and GMO's? Why would they ban GMO's exactly? For fun? Why would Hungary literally burn down GMO's crop fields? Fun? A good laugh? Something about preventing your vital organs from failing?

You know I always thought I was really lazy, and I am, but you take the cake, not only do you come in here saying that you haven't seen any evidence of GMO's being harmful, (there's a TON) you also want US to provide it for you.

So let me get this straight. It looks like you haven't done much research on this topic, and then you ask for the information to be handed on to you on a silver platter?

Every time I see your avatar I cringe because I know side of the spectrum your going to be on. It's so painfully obvious I'm surprised more people aren't speaking up about people like you on this forum.

To anyone still reading this, this is your friend when you come across posters like tinkerbell here. Also, He/she has never replied to one of my posts yet, which is, disheartening to say the least.

vigilantcitizen.com...

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
They are looking for volunteers for mars colinization in the future. Maybe we should force the Monsanto people to go up there and grow their corn.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   

I have yet to see any conclusive proof that GMO foods are dangerous.

I find this thinking astonishing. I'll chose natural food over GMO any day! No studies required from my point of view.

Unlike you, I have little trust in the safety assertions advanced by those with a commercial motive that has little to do with any concern for my overall well-being.

Require full disclosure and let the market decide. In this manner, I can avoid such things and you can munch away accordingly. Thereafter, let Darwin's principles apply.

edit on 15-5-2013 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Kang69

Kang, you are my new favorite poster!

Thank you for stating the patently obvious.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join