It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Members Revisited.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteAlice

Originally posted by karen61560
reply to post by Ismail

Soduko is not a game. It's math. I hate it too.

Soduko is a game to numbers nerds!! I love Soduko!!! Then again, pretty sure I've mentioned on a variety of threads that I'm an accountant so yeah, no great surprise there, right?

I'm gonna have to agree with Karen on this one.
Counting isn't fun for me. It can be usefull, but I woudn't say it's entertaining. How can you get pleasure from something you do for a job ?

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

reply to post by benrl

Crawling further out of my comfort zone to say "hi neighbor!".
Haven't gone to a PDX Lan yet but someday, I'll figure out a way to drag my massive beast of a rig to one.

Just moved up here after a lifetime in SoCa, like it infinitely better than the hell hole that is SoCa.

Mmm, yeah, imagine so but you may change your tune if you happen to witness the Naked Bike Ride that happens every June. Next one is on June 8th as a warning. As I always tell my children...some things, once seen, can never be unseen....

That is exactly what I tell people when asked if I went to any nude beaches in Europe. Yes, I went. Most people on nude beaches are the ones you never want to see naked...

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I like long walks on the beach, cuddling...... oh wait, that's another thread.

I work in the automotive industry, but I'm about tired of it. I'm considering taking the Bar Exam, seeing where I need work, and then taking some law classes. And maybe becoming a lawyer.

I'm a computer tech on the side, building and repairing computers with the occasional virus/malware removal.

I'm a science and tech nerd. I love reading about the latest tech. Especially PC tech and mobile tech. I have to have the latest tablet, the latest smartphone. I keep my gaming PC upgraded.

Which brings me to: yes, I'm an avid gamer. Whether it be an MMO, shooter, I like to play lots of video games. When I'm not playing games, I'm reading. I like to keep up on the latest news around the world. I'm if not playing games, I'm usually reading and reading.

I'm also a researcher. Obviously a 9/11 researcher for those here that know me, but my first love of research was on the subject of UFO's. When I saw a show on TV about UFO's as a kid, it was so interesting that I read every single book my school library had on UFO's. When I was a little older, I rented every UFO documentary and movie my movie-rental store had in stock. (yeah, nerd!)

A few years ago, I was in the process of becoming a field investigator for MUFON, but work and college left me little free time to pursue. That may be something that happens in the future.

As a researcher, I like to research things before I buy. Especially if I'm buying something online that can't easily be taken back to a store for an exchange. I like to read the reviews on the product, compare it to similar products. Sometimes I spend half a day to a whole weekend researching a particular product before making up my mind.

I also like disc golf, bowling, and air shows. Most of this year's air shows around me have been cancelled due to the sequestration BS.
Gotta wait a whole nother year now.

Ah well, more video game time for me then.

edit on 15-5-2013 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I'll bite - why not.

I'm a person who tends to get bored when things get easy so I'll do an about-face and throw myself into something new. My career path has generally been "marketing person" (whatever that means) but I often work a second job because I find it makes both jobs more interesting. I have been a florist, an underwriter, a clothing consultant, an activities assistant in a nursing home, a convenience store clerk, and once worked for a legitimately crazy man in a foundry.

My most recent "let's do something different!" stint was becoming a film producer (in my "spare" time.") It happened by accident. I've completed one feature length horror movie (not because I like horror - I don't generally) and have another one in editing. We challenged ourselves to film it in three days - just to see if we could.

And no I am not rich. I have yet to make a profit. Hollywood is a brutal machine and makes it nearly impossible for anyone else to get a foothold. Don't get me started.

I read...I read... I read... generally non-fiction but some favorites are Charles Bukowski, Chuck Pahlaniuk and Tom Robbins. I used to buy books but after years of no one helping me to move I re-discovered the library.

I am a complete and utter movie snob and detest 99.9% of the crap that gets churned out. I LOVE Riff Trax. I prefer documentaries and can't wait to make one.

I love Tori Amos and am not ashamed to admit it.

I am considered a strong writer (but a terrible typist). Writing for business has helped me to perfect my craft. I do tend to belabor every word, phrase and piece of punctuation.

I'm a Toastmaster!

I am a Taurus Leo Rising with a Moon in Scorpio and a Venus-Saturn-Pluto T-square that pushes my life frequently into chaos. I have my astrology chart done once or twice a year by the same astrologer who I've been going to for almost 20 years. It has helped me to better understand myself and my personal challenges. Like therapy, only with a lot less talking...

I own two homes - one a two-family with my mother downstairs and the second our family property on 42 acres in the great north woods of NH. My neighborhood is a bit like a commune, only less earthy. It helps having an extended family when you have four young kids.

My proudest accomplishment was leaving my six figure job on my own terms and taking two years off to find my life. I am very happy working for a university now with a more modest salary and tons more time off.

I'm an occasional knitter. I am obsessed with measuring things. Oh and I like to garden and can. But I guess that is very apparent. In fact I should be finishing up my research project post but I needed a break!

It was fun getting to know people better. Cheers!

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I'm a lover of music, gamer, and reader. Occasional (very) amateur musician. I honestly don't get out and do much to be perfectly honest. I visit the park a lot. I have no real skills apart from writing and basic wound care.

That's all I can really contribute lol.

Nice to see such varied lives and interests coexisting.

Peace.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

I like long walks on the beach, cuddling...... oh wait, that's another thread.

Hey as soon as you see the thread that starts like that, link it here

Peace, NRE.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ismail

Originally posted by karen61560
reply to post by Ismail

Soduko is not a game. It's math. I hate it too.

Soduko is a game to numbers nerds!! I love Soduko!!! Then again, pretty sure I've mentioned on a variety of threads that I'm an accountant so yeah, no great surprise there, right?

I'm gonna have to agree with Karen on this one.
Counting isn't fun for me. It can be usefull, but I woudn't say it's entertaining. How can you get pleasure from something you do for a job ?

Son, you are asking the wrong person that question. I'm the type of girl who looks for patterns in the numeric cosmos through license plates while stuck in traffic.
I'll never forget the day where it was variations of 7's, 1's and lots of EEE's in a row. Trippy day!

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I live in Rio de Janeiro and own a fantastic house. Swimming pool, coconut/mango trees and so on... It's like my Private Disneyland

I'm a professional soundtrack composer and have my own studio at home. I'm into so many things that's quite difficult to elaborate...

Reading (a lot);
playing an instrument (piano, classical guitar, elect. Guitar, bass, cello and violin);
making home furniture (hobby);
diecast cars customization/creation
Ats every single night before sleeping
Travelling
.... Criptology, math, history, etc etc

I work really hard but have a wonderful job. I live with my wife and son and we have a really happy life.
Being brazilian south American, I sometimes see some ATS posts from a totally different perspective. This is somehow interesting to note.

Great thread OP,
Cheers to everyone

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Oh yeah what does G.S.O.H mean?

Good Sense Of Humour. Pretty standard online dating patter. I think it was used originally in news papers, where every word would cost.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordAdef
I live in Rio de Janeiro and own a fantastic house. Swimming pool, coconut/mango trees and so on... It's like my Private Disneyland

I'm a professional soundtrack composer and have my own studio at home. I'm into so many things that's quite difficult to elaborate...

Reading (a lot);
playing an instrument (piano, classical guitar, elect. Guitar, bass, cello and violin);
making home furniture (hobby);
diecast cars customization/creation
Ats every single night before sleeping
Travelling
.... Criptology, math, history, etc etc

I work really hard but have a wonderful job. I live with my wife and son and we have a really happy life.
Being brazilian south American, I sometimes see some ATS posts from a totally different perspective. This is somehow interesting to note.

Great thread OP,
Cheers to everyone

I assume my invitation to visit is in the mail?

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Forgot to mention, and saw a lot of other members mention this, so figured I would elaborate.

I love gaming, and play everything from WoW, android games on my phone.

Mostly I am into strategy, and time/ resource management games.

I loved to play star wars empire at war, and star wars empire at war forces of darkness, I used to mod the hell out of them, because the gaming engine was quite good, but the ship limit was way too low for an actual space combat star wars game.

I wanted to play a big battle so I moded it to allow many more ships at once, and with my comp at the time being built for gaming, I pushed the processor and video card to their limits.

Also dled the mods for battlrstar galactica and mega ship packs to have access to nearly 100 different star wars historical ships, was a very good time.

Reminded me of the battle over courescant( did I spell that right? The galactic capitol city world) in the start of the 3rd movie in the new trilogy, it was unreal. Litterally hundreds of ships in capitol ship warfare with star destroyers and super star destroyers spitting out ties and tie bombers every where.

The pathetic rebelion learned a valuable lesson about nebulon B frigate and moncalimari cruisers vs star destroyers and SSDs that day .

Sorry for the tangent, but that was the most fun I think I ever had playing a strategy game since warcraft 2 and warcraft3.

Anybody else got any epic gamer stories?

I also own and beat every single halo game on legendary, except halo reach, that one id tough tough, better pack some extra funderwear for that trip, that is truly the way halo was meant to be played.

I also owned assassins creed in less than 4 days, thought the naval battles were the best thing about the entire series so far, am looking forward to the next one.

Also had my auto skill level up to 199 on halo wars, but thought the game was quite weak as far as strategy games go.

Own and play every call of duty up to black ops 2, I think zombies is one of the greatest FPS ideas ever. I mean who doesn't want to shoot nazi zombies, or just zombies in general in the new version of black ops.

Ok now I am done with my tangent for now, sorry again, I just on a role and get all excited and worked up, and the words and stories just fly out of me.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by inverslyproportional

If you want epic space combat on a grand scale, look at Eve Online. And if you decide to play, let me know and I'll get you in one of the biggest alliances there is.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Excallibacca

I played EVE back when it first came out, but was put off by several things.

The people who got in on the beta, got to keep their stuff, and everyone who came after was restrained as it took research slots to get new techs so one could advance, but every slot was already bought out in andvance by those that had played the beta and already built up enitre fleets.

As well as all the good open spaces in uncontested space were already taken and developed so there was no room really either.

Unless you wanted to put up shop in a busy lane and get neat down every other 5 seconds, and lose everything because you died so many times you couldn't afford insurance, so you lose it all eventually.

I am sure it has changed a lot since early 2000s when I plyed though, I will likely try it out again, I though it would have been fun if not for the dumb beta cheaters.

I will hit you up if I decide to give it another whirl, being in a big alliance could be a lot better than trying to go it alone like I did, that sucked pretty bad.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I love this thread...

Me? I'm a ranter.

I get heated VEEEERY easily, and I'm sure most of you ATSers who have seen me, Revy two-hands with her guns or the Red Dalek (my two usual avatars I switch between), will agree.

I try SO hard to see from everyone's perspective--but God help me, I'm a passionate (albeit occasionally over-the-top) human being. I have lots of supporters cause of this, and lots of trolls, or enemies, or "rivals" .... whatever.

Personality.

I am usually pretty mean and angry on the exterior, but not too terribly. Just rough around the edges, not an all-around a##hole. I'm not a "girly" girl by any means, and the only time I dress in anything feminine is for an occasion, like a party... and even then, I only wear black. Like always.

I love my spikes and chains, and I love when people are afraid of me. Makes them keep their distance.

I adore goodness in the world, even though I royally SUCK at expressing my feelings. I love anything rightious and good, because I don't see it too often, so when I do, it hits me close to home.

Appearance.

I have a dynamite body. Don't get me wrong, there are things I HATE about it, but overall, I don't look bad. I got an hourglass figure and I'm told I'm beautiful by my fiance and friends. That's all I need, I don't need to impress society by wearing skimpy booty shorts or anything... That's where the spikes, chains, and blackness come in...

Honestly, I look like the girl in my avatar, only with short hair, and blue eyes, not hazel.

Short red hair (usually dyed blood-red, but its naturally ginger) blue eyes, kinda pale white, and I like hats... and leather. I like anything black, hats, spikes, chains, and leather.

My drives.

My drives are very contradicting. I am driven by love--romantic and otherwise. I want love, I want to love everyone, I want to hold everyone, and I want to steal their pain away... but for someone who hasn't got the slightest effing CLUE how to show emotions or trust other people, this proves to be a difficult task for me.

My fiance, friends, and God forbid, even my family mean more to me than anything.

They probably have no idea.

I come off as the exact opposite kind of person. A hateful teenager.

Well... anyway... that's me. I'm gonna thumb through this thread later when I have more time, I'm interested in everyone's personal stories here.

edit on 16-5-2013 by XxNightAngelusxX because: typo

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   

I've got a lot of epic game stories but probably the toughest was when I won the tournament. It was aired on the G4 channel. and it was so nerve wracking just knowing that a whole lot of people were watching us. My hands were shaking so bad. Didn't help that I was under so much pressure because Jody of Gamespot had been introduced to me after I played CEVO and she told me that, if I won this, I'd be the first woman ever to win any Gamespot tournament in their 9 years of operations. No pressure at all!
Whole thing is kind of silly but here's the footage of that game: www.gamespot.com...

I used to be a terrible perfectionist in everything but forced myself to loosen up years ago. Gaming is the only place where I allow myself to fly my perfectionist flag. When I beat a game, I try to beat it 100%. Only game that has thwarted me is Just Cause 2. Here's my screenshot of where I ended it at: i.imgur.com...
If there are any Just Cause 2 players here, they'll know how bad of a perfectionist I can be to get that level of completion...

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   

I understand completely. Things have changed a bit, lots of rebalancing, and the alliance certainly helps a lot. The alliance also pays for lost ships and skill books among other things.

If you do decide to play, I can send a buddy invite to give you an extra week on a trial.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Its been a fun read through all the posts here, I might as well toss my hat into the ring.

20 years ago I became unemployable due to illness so I started doing some serious gardening and reading lots of books.

The books I read raised some serious questions about reality and what we perceive it to be.

So on to the internet I go and that now is my main hobby in the winter months when things get boring.
I think of myself as a semi expert on plants, and I am definitely anal retentive when it comes to our yard here:-)

We have a nice pond with fish, a nice yard thanks to my anal thingy, I try to keep busy at all times and usually something will provide that for me.

I am married to a wonderful woman who has put up with all my stuff for years on end without bitching although I would prefer she would bitch some just to clear the air.

She is a member here by the name of YogaGinns and she is the love of my life.

The more I type the more my life looks mundane but I am very happy with what I have.
That includes ATS and all its members that I have come to respect regardless of how we agree to disagree here.

S&F for a good read and to see the inside workings of some of the members here is nice.
We are all the same yet entirely different at the same time.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   

I forgot to mention that I am gaming retarded. The only games I can handle are strategy games that don't involve hand-eye coordination. That rules out... almost everything.

Let's put it this way: I couldn't make it past the crocodiles in Pitfall. And if you don't get the reference, well then I hate you.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

I LOVE the desk! Can you ship to PA???
Seriously, very beautiful. My dad could do marvelous things with wood, too. Thanks for showing us!

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by otherpotato

I forgot to mention that I am gaming retarded. The only games I can handle are strategy games that don't involve hand-eye coordination. That rules out... almost everything.

Let's put it this way: I couldn't make it past the crocodiles in Pitfall. And if you don't get the reference, well then I hate you.

I hear you on that one, I can play first person shooters, but would play boggle, diner dash or a match 3 game over that anyday!

HaHaHa Pitfall.. I mean whats Pitfall?

Peace, NRE.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join