It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More saddened than angry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
It is now becoming clear that so many of the entertainers that I looked up to as a kid were carrying out sexually dispicable acts.

Jimmy Savile, Gary Glitter, Rolf Harris, Freddie Starr, Jimmy Tarbuck, are among the names that have been linked to appalling behaviour that saddens me and angers me.

Of course it is natural for any decent man to have his protective instincts kick in when hearing of cruelty against the vulnerable and anger is part of that whole protective thing.

But the sadness in my case incomes from the realisiation that the young innocent child that I was back then was looking up to people who were in the business of robbing children of that very innocence.

In a much less serious way I feel that these celebrities behaviour has retrospectively robbed me of a part of that childhood innocence that I cannot get back.

I am not sure if this makes any sense to anyone else or if any other person of my age group feels the same way about all of this and that is really why I decided to post about it.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by hotel1

This is why I stopped having role models... They all at one point or another have let me down. Even in regards to holding a family member as a "Role Model". Sadly my father has even let me down. Point is... Don't hold someone in such high esteem when we are all only human. As we know, humans are the first to make mistakes.

Don't set yourself up for dissapointment.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by hotel1

Not too familiar with these guys, but I'd say that people who do these sorts of things were abused themselves, it's sad to think that rather than be advocates for abused children, they perpetuate the problem. I've worked with troubled children before and have heard horror stories. The lowest scum in my opinion.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotel1

But the sadness in my case incomes from the realisiation that the young innocent child that I was back then was looking up to people who were in the business of robbing children of that very innocence.

In a much less serious way I feel that these celebrities behaviour has retrospectively robbed me of a part of that childhood innocence that I cannot get back.

I am not sure if this makes any sense to anyone else or if any other person of my age group feels the same way about all of this and that is really why I decided to post about it.

No...you are not the only one that feels robbed of that part of innocence in childhood; many feel this way...as do I.

More and more of the deceptions that have been happening are being revealed; not only among famous people but among some of those people we thought we knew in our own personal lives.

I say take a closer look at your relatives, friends, friendly acquaintances, neighbors, spouses, boyfriends, girlfriends etc. How well do we really know them? Have they really revealed to us who they really are?

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Jimmy Savile, Gary Glitter, Rolf Harris, Freddie Starr, Jimmy Tarbuck, are among the names....

• Who are those people?
  • What is it that they've been accused of?
  • Has guilt been proven, or is it currently just accusations?

• posted on May, 14 2013 @ 12:06 PM
    link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

Jimmy Savile, Gary Glitter, Rolf Harris, Freddie Starr, Jimmy Tarbuck, are among the names....

• Who are those people?
  • What is it that they've been accused of?
  • Has guilt been proven, or is it currently just accusations?

• They are all/were entertainers some have been convicted, some are no longer living, many many more are currently under investigation and early evidence suggests that it is wide spread in the industry. Most disturbing perhaps is many are/were specifically children's entertainers.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 12:09 PM
    link   

Originally posted by sulaw
    reply to post by hotel1

This is why I stopped having role models... They all at one point or another have let me down. Even in regards to holding a family member as a "Role Model". Sadly my father has even let me down. Point is... Don't hold someone in such high esteem when we are all only human. As we know, humans are the first to make mistakes.

Don't set yourself up for dissapointment.

These were people who I looked up to as a young boy, I have long since grown out of hero worship for entertainers, as I said it is feeling of being retrospectively cheated and lied too. What you say is correct about humanity.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 12:13 PM
    link   

Originally posted by caladonea

No...you are not the only one that feels robbed of that part of innocence in childhood; many feel this way...as do I.

More and more of the deceptions that have been happening are being revealed; not only among famous people but among some of those people we thought we knew in our own personal lives.

I say take a closer look at your relatives, friends, friendly acquaintances, neighbors, spouses, boyfriends, girlfriends etc. How well do we really know them? Have they really revealed to us who they really are?

Can't argue with that as statistically we are all in more danger from people we know. In what I am referring to is a feeling of being somewhat betrayed to have been naive enough back then to look up to such people.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 04:07 AM
    link   
    I never really have been fond of any of the actors / actresses in hollywood. (ok, Emma Watson is a weakness, but c'mon, cut a guy some slack).

Aside that, there really is no one in hollywood, or even cartoons that I ever really felt "awe" or felt was that great.

I found most of the role-models for me, in books.. Characters with a strong trait I found respectable.. Like a knight from a fantasy book, or a cleric.. Those types of characters, fictional maybe, had no such "immoral" flaws that were seen in the books, or ever written about.

Just seemed safer, I suppose. (I still don't watch tv, and seldom watch movies.. ).

I am an odd duck.. /chirp

top topics

join