It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama administration gives wind farms a pass on eagle deaths, prosecutes oil companies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Another prime example of how this current administration bends the laws to further their agenda.

More than 573,000 birds are killed by the country's wind farms each year, including 83,000 hunting birds such as hawks, falcons and eagles, according to an estimate published in March in the peer-reviewed Wildlife Society Bulletin.

Each death is federal crime, a charge that the Obama administration has used to prosecute oil companies when birds drown in their waste pits, and power companies when birds are electrocuted by their power lines. No wind energy company has been prosecuted, even those that repeatedly flout the law.

Now don't get me wrong, I support renewable energy. However, turning a blind eye when they commit a federal crime while going after the oil and power companies is plain wrong. It seems every form of energy has a negative consequence. They need to figure something out before these birds of prey start disappearing altogether.

Source
edit on 14-5-2013 by ratcals because: Fixed the link AND the spelling mistake. I hate spelling mistakes.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   
There aren't enough wind farms to kill all the birds of prey.

Technology exists to protect them, however, In the form of screens to shield the blades.

That should be the priority if you're pragmatic

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by rival

No, but 83,000 a year is 83,000 too many. Plus there are more wind farms going up on a daily basis. So the number of deaths is only going to increase as long as the current administration turns a blind eye.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   
hemp oil. can be just as strong as diesel. easily renewable. nature friendly.
Oh if only the general public knew, too bad they are slaves to fake propaganda.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Arolexion

A quick search on the internet implies this would be a supply and demand problem. We simply would not be able to grow enough to meet the demand. Offset the demand? Yes, but not completely replace it.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
It's a wonder there is anyone left who still has faith in the law.

Either all law is law or no law is law.

While a eagle slaying wind farm gets a pass some poor guy with 5 acres gets a $50,000 fine for chopping down an old half dead tree because there was a nest way up in it he didnt see.

Yay law!

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I wonder if the blades could be fitted with some type of whistle that the birds would naturally avoid.

I realize this is a simple solution, but they're typically the most efficient to implement. Surely the audubon society could make a suggestion. Bet their phone's just a-ringin'...

new topics

top topics

join