It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the S-300 means to to Israel

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
The Russian Foreign Minister has cleared up the rumours of S-300s being supplied to Syria.

No S-300 supplies planned. Russia finalizes standing Syrian weapons contracts - Lavrov Russia is not planning to supply Syria with any weapons beyond the current contracts that are nearing completion, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said refuting speculations that Moscow was going to sell S-300 air defense systems to Damascus. “Russia does not plan to sell,” Lavrov told reporters on being asked on S-300 air defense systems rumors. He stressed that Russia has only been fulfilling contracts that have already been signed with Syria for defensive weapons.

rt.com...

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Electronic warfare is going to be the number one line of defense I think. The platform in which they operate can be deceived, fairly easily I might add. From my understanding of our capabilities which I'm sure we've given Israel.

Thanks to the poster above me. Glad they aren't.
edit on 11-5-2013 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by milkyway12

The US EW program has degraded somewhat since 1991. The Air Force dedicated EW platform, the EF-111 Raven was retired shortly after Desert Storm. The Air Force only recently (5-7 years ago IIRC) began flying Navy EA-6B Prowlers in an exchange program. The only real EW platform they have left is a C-130 variant. They are working on revamping the EW program, with the E/A-18 Growler, but again, that's Navy/Marine. The Air Force tried twice to convert some of the B-52 platforms to stand off jammers, but the cost went haywire and it was cancelled both times.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Cool.

The aircraft I noted were drones. Not manned craft. They were used when they dropped men on the mountain ranges close to Pakistan.

I really don't know much about the drones other than messing up our sat links when they were overhead.

I was just told through hear say they were EW drones to keep the Taki's from tracking our movement along the border, apparently they were leaking intel.

Dead sat link feeds, and crypts along with the hear say, it's pretty obvious what they were for.

----

Oh yeah, not to mention we had a couple of FACs that would mess with em on the Tarmac. You could shine a a laser at the aircraft and a pod on the belly would flip toward the laser and it would stop working. Until there was a sign ( construction paper lol) placed on the roof access that said and I quote " Stop #ing shining lasers on the Tarmac." So that was the end of our drone trolling days, well mine any way, the FACs didn't care.

They have some weird stuff as you can see. I was only there for three days, so.
edit on 11-5-2013 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   

I've heard rumors that there were some with a limited EW capability, as compared to the old EF, and Wild Weasel birds. They won't be on par with them, because with the Weasels, the Bear had the capability to jump frequencies much faster than anyone back at the control facility can, and make real time adjustments. Any UAV has a time lag between the time the UAV receives the input, to the time it reacts. So even if the guys at the control station react immediately, there is usually about a one second lag time at the UAV, from their input to reaction by the UAV.

I've heard of a few weapons that are capable of that, but I didn't realize they had minaturized them that much yet. Pretty cool stuff.
edit on 5/11/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
A great deal would hinge on which version they deploy. A lot is know about the initial versions of the S300 but like all missile systems changes are made.

Israel had better hope that Russia do not decide to send the S400 system to protect their base. That is one of the most advanced systems in use anywhere.

Israel is attacking another country, it is that simple. They deserve to be shot out of the air.

P

really?...if north korea moved missiles to the Mexican- American border, I'd want our jets to go and take them out. do you think Israel didn't know what those missiles were going to be used for?

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

Originally posted by pheonix358
A great deal would hinge on which version they deploy. A lot is know about the initial versions of the S300 but like all missile systems changes are made.

Israel had better hope that Russia do not decide to send the S400 system to protect their base. That is one of the most advanced systems in use anywhere.

Israel is attacking another country, it is that simple. They deserve to be shot out of the air.

P

really?...if north korea moved missiles to the Mexican- American border, I'd want our jets to go and take them out. do you think Israel didn't know what those missiles were going to be used for?

So if the US or Israel moves missiles to the Jordan / Syria border then it is OK for Syria to destroy them.

I will let Syria know they have your blessing to kill those missiles and crews.

P

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Russia has not yet delivered S-300 missiles to Syria: Putin AFP - Russian President Vladimir Putin said Tuesday Moscow had not yet delivered its sophisticated S-300 missiles to the Damascus regime despite hints from Syrian President Bashar al-Assad that such shipments had already been made. "The contract was signed several years ago. It has not been realised yet," Putin said at a joint press conference with EU leaders. "We do not want to upset the balance in the region."

www.france24.com...

“As for the S-300s, it’s one of the best air defense systems in the world,” Putin said following a Russia-EU summit. “It’s a serious weapon. We would not like to tip the balance of power in the region. We signed the contract a few years ago. It has not been implemented yet.”

rt.com...

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

The US EW program has degraded somewhat since 1991. The Air Force dedicated EW platform, the EF-111 Raven was retired shortly after Desert Storm. The Air Force only recently (5-7 years ago IIRC) began flying Navy EA-6B Prowlers in an exchange program. The only real EW platform they have left is a C-130 variant. They are working on revamping the EW program, with the E/A-18 Growler, but again, that's Navy/Marine. The Air Force tried twice to convert some of the B-52 platforms to stand off jammers, but the cost went haywire and it was cancelled both times.

Isn't the E3 AWACS can act as a EW platform

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by SajeevJino

Yes, but if you think that an E-3 will ever get anywhere near a target, think again. It will have the same problem that the B-52SOJ would have had, and the EC/MC-130s have, in that they have to stay at long range, where jamming isn't as effective. The Air Force no longer has a dedicated EW platform that can ride in with the strike package.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   

There are always countermeasures. Im sure the west already has production pro-typoe S-400 and S-500 systems and have figured out how to do deal with them.

Well, the easiest and cheapest countermeasure to any missile defense system is simply to overwhelm the defenses with sheer numbers of incoming...
Use to be Russia's strategy for decades. (they, and China now, have some new missiles though, that have a good chance of penetrating even our missile defense systems). Good thing the world is so interconnected these days.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join