It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Barrister - "Age of Consent Should Be 13 - To End The Persecution Of Old Men"

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

There are many other ways people break the law too but because they get away

with it doesn't make it right ... They are still breaking the law!!

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
That is the most senseless reasoning I've ever heard.Is this jurist insane?13 is not even close to being a mature person!

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

No that is not what i said stop putting words into my mouth.

From your post above:

It might just be an age thing but I know if it was my daughter at 13 who had some horny 15 year old getting in her pants I would hunt him down and the result would not be pretty, I would make sure it would be medically impossible for him to ever have sex again.

If thats not "advocating permanently physically harming teenagers who have consentual sex with other teenagers approximately their age", I dont know what it is..

In the UK, as this is a thread based in the UK, it is illegal for anyone under the age of 16 to engage in sexual intercourse, that means even if two people aged 15 years and 11 months have sex they are both committing a crime.

en.wikipedia.org...

The Act has faced criticism on several grounds, the most controversial of which is the criminalising of various common behaviours, such as laws which, on the face of it, outlaw consensual "sexual hugging" in public places or by underage persons, even when both participants are under age, followed by the issue of guidance notes which countermand this, saying they should almost never be prosecuted.[6][7]

The Home Office says legalising consensual sexual activity between children "would damage a fundamental plank in our raft of child protection measures".[6] A spokesman said, "We are not prepared to do this. We accept that genuinely mutually agreed, non-exploitative sexual activity between teenagers does take place and in many instances no harm comes from it. We are putting safeguards in place to ensure that these cases, which are not in the public interest, are not prosecuted - by amending guidance to the police and Crown Prosecution Service".[6]

Criticism comes from Action on Rights for Children: "Laws should mean what they say. It's astonishing that the government could consider legislation with the prior intent of issuing guidance to countermand it. I worry about the message it sends to young people - it seems to say that sometimes the law means what it says and sometimes it doesn't.".[6] Spokesperson Terri Dowty also fears that it could lead to unreasonable private prosecutions, such as by angry parents who don't like their child's boyfriend or girlfriend.[6]

Professor Nicola Lacey of the London School of Economics comments: "What the Home Office would say was that they wanted to use the criminal law for symbolic impact, to say that it's not a good thing for kids to be having sex. My counter-argument is that the criminal law is too dangerous a tool to be used for symbolic purposes. With this on the statute book, it will give police and prosecutors a lot of discretion. It could be used as a way of controlling kids who perhaps the police want to control for other reasons. Kids who perhaps are a nuisance or who belong to a group who attract the attention of the police in some way.".[6]

Its only "technically" a crime, there are guidance notes issued by the government which countermand this if both partners are underage. And the law has faced a lot of criticism for this, because it is pretty stupid to technically criminalise common harmless behaviour just to "send a message" regarding morality, and then counter it with contradicting guidelines, essentially making the law moot and by doing so essentially admit that its a stupid law that does not need to be respected (because it is).

not "should be illegal" but it is actually illegal for two 13 year olds to have sex.

No its not, the guidelines countermand this.

did you not take up sex-ed class or something because what you are saying on this thread is incriminating yourself as you could based on this thread if the police could id you, be charged and sent to jail.

I am not from the UK (and even if I was, I could not be charged for anything I said in this thread).

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

I'm with you all the way ... I do believe that the age for drinking in the USA is 21yrs?

Maybeone of our American members can confirm?

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by eletheia

The law really says that on paper, but it is actually not enforced in such cases, by the government order:
news.bbc.co.uk...

"We are not prepared to do this," says a spokesman. "We accept that genuinely mutually agreed, non-exploitative sexual activity between teenagers does take place and in many instances no harm comes from it.

"We are putting safeguards in place to ensure that these cases, which are not in the public interest, are not prosecuted - by amending guidance to the police and Crown Prosecution Service."

So its not illegal in practice.

The government basically claims that its law regarding this is so obviously "not in the public interest" (read: stupid) that it should simply be ignored.
This is the epitome of hypocrisy, but I applaud them to at least making the correct decision and admitting mistake, even if they are unable to pass a better law.
edit on 10/5/13 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

I was speaking about what I would do if I found out some honey 15 year old was messing about with my 13 year old little girl. I don’t think there is a responsible father that would not want to do the same. I am not saying that I think you and all the other honey little boys should all have been castrated, I am saying what I would do as a father if anyone was doing that to my little girl. In more general terms when looking at this more objectively I take a different view, please stop muddling my words, my position is that you, or any one underage for that matter, should have been punished to the fullest extent of the law for what you done. But if it was one of my own who was being subjected to this you better hope the police get to you first or you’re going to be pissing out of tube for the rest of your days.

And I am sorry I don’t care what Wiki is saying there are cases in the UK where people have been put on a sex offenders register for having underage sex. Yes there exists a certain amount of tolerance but the word of the law is above all. You knowledge of jurisprudence and its implementation are really quite abysmal, in this thread you continue to incriminate yourself by defending having sex with a underage girl. Hell, if she was a few months younger the charge would be statutory rape and if you were having sex with her when you were 17 and she was 15 you could very well have ended up in jail.

stop trying to say what you done was legal when it was really illegal!!

edit on 10-5-2013 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Some religions advocate this and may be even earlier, once a child shows signs of puberty, they are ready, google it, i am not putting links.

This is absurd and that is my opinion but that is how it is in some cultures.
edit on 10-5-2013 by whatnext21 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   

I was speaking about what I would do if I found out some honey 15 year old was messing about with my 13 year old little girl. I don’t think there is a responsible father that would not want to do the same.

I dont think any normal father would want to castrate the boyfriend of his teenage daughter for having consentual sex with her. I am sure she would thank you for such an overreaction!

There is nothing wrong with teenagers having sex among themselves (with other teenagers) as long as its safe and responsible (protection, educated about the risks etc..). They always did, and they are going to do it whether you like it or not anyway.
Even the government recognises this, hence the updated guidelines extempting it from the law.

Hell, if she was a few months younger the charge would be statutory rape and if you were having sex with her when you were 17 and she was 15 you could very well have ended up in jail.

You are mistaking me for the other poster. I never said I had sex with 13 year old when I was 15. I am just saying there is nothing wrong or illegal about it, since its not an adult having sex with someone underage, but simply two people of similar age having sex.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

You are mistaking me for the other poster. I never said I had sex with 13 year old when I was 15.

sorry my mistake you are correct, regardless however it still makes it wrong, legally it is wrong for any 15 year old to have sex with a 13 year old or even another 15 year old and it is a law i agree with.

to get back on topic what do you think about lowering the age of consent.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

Probably to resolve his own guilt.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   

I believe age of consent should be 15 or 16 (its 15 here is Slovakia), plus close age exceptions (so called Romeo and Juliet laws) ensuring partners close in age would never be prosecuted for having sex, no matter their ages.

I dont agree with it being 13 as proposed by the barrister. 13 is too low for having sex with adults.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

As a parent I am not interested in any other interest, than that of the children in MY

family. And as 'it is the law' I would instigate a prosecution against anyone who

did anything illegal with them

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

This world is getting kind of sickening now. Surprised a woman would be the one suggesting such things. Kind of makes me think of those mothers you see around here walking with their daughters both being dressed like what you'd see people dressed as going to night clubs.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 02:50 AM
link   

And as 'it is the law' I would instigate a prosecution against anyone who did anything illegal with them

It is also the law that this law would most likely not be enforced.

And you do realize that if the law was applied, then your child will be a rapist just the same as the other party? I think then you would change your rhetoric very quickly..

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

I would hazard a guess that you are male and do not have a daughter ... And if you

come back that you aren't and that you do. I won't believe you!

Now my children have been brought up to know the difference between right and wrong

and that there are consequences for wrong and anti social actions and if they do the

crime they will have to pay the consequences and 'do the time'

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   

I would hazard a guess that you are male and do not have a daughter ...

So? Maybe that is partly why I can see the issue objectively instead of immediately going into moral panic mode.

if they do the crime they will have to pay the consequences and 'do the time'

Yeah, like I believe you that..

And on the off chance that you are sincere and really do it, rest assured only a very bad parent would act like that..
edit on 11/5/13 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

You better believe it
If they think they are mature enough and too old to seek

advice they have to take responsibility for their own actions

However I am speaking from experience (from both sides of the fence) You come back

when you are a 'Father' and more especially to a daughter ... I can't count the number of

times I have heard fathers say they'll be vetting all their daughters dates
and they won't

be allowed here there and every where
and they won't be allowed to wear this that and

the other!!!.

Oh yes "Boys become men when they become fathers" they have a whole different

perspective
and attitude than yours

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join