It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The tyrrany of the PC mentality: Store chain feels it necessary to proclaim its ad is NOT pro-life

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Its a cute ad showing a pregnant mother and daughter cooking together. It aired last year with barely any comment but, this year, some pro-life groups have decided to tout the ad for its pro-life message.

Grocery Chain Denies Pro-life Motive in Poignant Mother's Day Ad

The Publix grocery store chain has insisted that it had no pro-life motivation in a Mother's Day television commercial that is getting major YouTube play because of its poignant dialogue between a pregnant mom and her young daughter. Nonetheless, it is difficult to ignore the celebration of life in the ad, which was produced last year but which is just now getting the attention it deserves.

The ad, which has garnered over 350,000 YouTube views, got the attention of such pro-life people as conservative blogger Michelle Malkin, who tweeted fans to watch the spot: “'You're really going to love mom': Publix Mother's Day ad 'salutes moms & unborn.'” NewsBuster.org alerted its readers to the commercial, calling it a “pro-life ad [that] celebrates pregnancy.” And LifeNews.com announced: “Publix Mother’s Day Commercial Affirms Dignity of Unborn Babies.”

The New American

The ad may have just been intended to show a sweet moment between a mother and daughter and maybe the pro-life groups are reading too much into it but, the ad does seem to affirm the value of the unborn child. Whether or not the store chain meant for the ad to reflect a pro-life message, the ad is very touching and its hard to imagine people not seeing other messages.

You would think the classy thing to do would be to just ignore the chatter over the ad and let people read whatever message they wanted from it. The publicity the ad is generating may even garner the store support from pro-life groups and increase their sales. Unfortunately, the store chain sees things differently and felt the need to make a statement specifically denying that the ad was meant to have any type of pro-life message.

Supermarket Publix Denies Conservative Claims That Its Mother's Day Ad Is Pro-Life

The powers that be at Publix were shocked and somewhat bemused to learn their ad was being celebrated by the anti-abortion movement.

“There’s no subliminal messaging, no anti-abortion message,” said director of media Maria Brous, who explained that the ad was designed to show the bond between mother and child, shared over food. “That was not the intent.”

Brous added that the spot will air all this week, having debuted this time last year without incident. “It’s a mother’s day commercial,” she said. “It’s centered around food. That’s really all it was.”

Forbes

Its strange how the store feels the need to distance itself from any type of "right-wing" message that people may read into the ad, as if it is now taboo for any company to openly show support for some "mean" right-wing cause like being pro-life, pro-gun or against higher taxes or anything of the sort.

This just goes to show how well political correctness has demonized everything to do with conservative values and made anything which may represent those values a no-no in the corporate world. I wonder if the company would be so quick to issue a denial if someone were to perceive a pro-gay marriage message into one of its ads? Something tells me they wouldn't dare.

It makes one wonder if they feared some type of backlash if they didn't speak out. How could a lovely ad like this ever be seen as a bad thing? Are there really groups out there who would have targeted this store chain if they thought they were pro-life?

edit on 5/9/13 by FortAnthem because:
____________ extra DIV

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Good on the store chain for not allowing it's ad to be used for political trolling and refusing to take sides! Pro-life is just a PC term for anti-choice!

I'm sure that they figure that these debates detract from the purpose of the message of wholesomeness that they are trying to project in the ad, by throwing the issue of abortion into a Mother's Day celebration.

edit on 9-5-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
Its strange how the store feels the need to distance itself from any type of "right-wing" message that people may read into the ad, as if it is now taboo for any company to openly show support for some "mean" right-wing cause like being pro-life,...

Problem is, the term "pro-life" may be all sweet and loving to some people, but to those who have been attacked, harassed, imposed upon and ridiculed by the rabid "pro-life" anti-abortionists who can't mind their own business, the term is seen in a different light. A light that this ad maker did not want to be associated with.

"Pro-life", although taken literally is a good thing (Hell, I'm pro-life), has become a hateful and vicious movement (by some), the proponents of which are filled with anger, control, hatred and downright nastiness.

I don't blame the ad maker for distancing themselves from this extremist movement that tries to control what happens in my body. Sorry. If you're Pro-life, then don't have an abortion. But when you impose your morals and personal choices on others, using the legal system, don't be surprised when some don't want anything to do with you.

reply to post by windword

Originally posted by windword
Pro-life is just a PC term for anti-choice!

Exactly! If someone is against choice, then just say so! Don't use sweet language to disguise your position. Kind of ironic the OP rants on the PC mentality... I am pro-choice. I would make the choice NOT to abort, but my choice is not every woman's choice.
edit on 5/9/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Most companies find it wise not support taking away the rights of its customers. I do not like abortion but, I would never try and force my morals on others. So despite not liking abortion I am in deed pro choice. Not to mention the "pro life" movement tends to have a lot of nut jobs in it that make the rest look bad.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Problem is, the term "pro-life" may be all sweet and loving to some people, but to those who have been attacked, harassed, imposed upon and ridiculed by the rabid "pro-life" anti-abortionists who can't mind their own business, the term is seen in a different light. A light that this ad maker did not want to be associated with.

"Pro-life", although taken literally is a good thing (Hell, I'm pro-life), has become a hateful and vicious movement (by some), the proponents of which are filled with anger, control, hatred and downright nastiness.

The pro-life movement has, for the most part, moved away from many of the hateful tactics of the past. Today, it uses prayer outside of clinics and sidewalk counseling to educate women about the life that is growing inside them. Gone are the days of throwing blood on women entering clinics and shouting hateful remarks.

Unfortunately, the left refuses to let go of the past and continues to portray pro-lifers as the hateful idiots that the movement has worked hard to expel from its ranks.

Also, pro-life doesn't necessarily mean forcing people using legislation. Much of our efforts focus on educating the mother about the life growing inside her so she will make the right choice and decide to keep her baby.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Also, pro-life doesn't necessarily mean forcing people using legislation. Much of our efforts focus on educating the mother about the life growing inside her so she will make the right choice and decide to keep her baby.

The problem is what you think is the "right" choice, may not be the "right" choice for everyone. That's why it's called "choice".

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
...Much of our efforts focus on educating the mother about the life growing inside her so she will make the right choice and decide to keep her baby.

So, you are pro-CHOICE then? And, your use of the term "right" in that sentence is your opinion. Using how you do has the perception you sit in judgement of others, for what you deem is "right", regardless of their choice?

I see....quite a hypocritical message if you ask me.
edit on 9-5-2013 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   

The pro-life movement has, for the most part, moved away from many of the hateful tactics of the past. Today, it uses prayer outside of clinics and sidewalk counseling to educate women about the life that is growing inside them. Gone are the days of throwing blood on women entering clinics and shouting hateful remarks.
Any statistics on how many 'pro-lifers' adopt those 'unwanted' children whose lives they fought so hard to protect?

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Any statistics on how many 'pro-lifers' adopt those 'unwanted' children whose lives they fought so hard to protect?

Exactly. We have plenty of parents who very, very obviously are far less than thrilled with their output and all of his/her attachments. Sometimes birth control fails and these people need a course of action.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   

"The right choice" eh? According to who? The right choice for you or the mother?

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Yes there are groups who would do that. I tend to avoid overly political establishments on both sides of the aisle. I go to the grocery store for tofu and produce not a sermon.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   

The tyrrany of the PC mentality: Store chain feels it necessary to proclaim its ad is NOT pro-life

That we could somehow find ourselves living in a day when human life was no longer respected... is really hard to swallow. That we could find an avenue to legitimize the killing of unborn children by twisting it into a political gambit called 'freedom of choice', takes the very concept of humanity and spins it on its ear.

Personally, I have nothing against a mature approach to free will when it comes to sexual relations but there are simply no excuses anymore for unwanted pregnancies. Birth control is available over almost every store counter in the country. Moreover, Obamacare seems bound to make it free to every woman from 6-to-60.

And no... this isn't to say that cases of rape/incest or the mother's well being cannot be made an exception. It is only in those extremist camps doing their eternal battle on this subject that such common sense is ignored.

There is no reason at all for unplanned conception except through immature, irresponsible behavior and from that point, there is no reason whatsoever to sacrifice the unborn in favor of those who so neglected those most basic responsibilities as sexually mature human beings.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia

Yes there are groups who would do that. I tend to avoid overly political establishments on both sides of the aisle. I go to the grocery store for tofu and produce not a sermon.

Oh, I can understand a company's desire to not get mixed up in some political argument. That's why I said the classy thing would have been to just say nothing and let people think what they want about the ad. By denying any pro-life message, they give off the impression they are against the pro-life position or at least find it embarassing to be associated with that position in any way.

I understand what you say about not wanting to be preached to while shopping. I just wish the same standard applied when it comes to shoving the "global warming" agenda down everybody's throats (Oh look how green our company is!
) ,how they support the rich paying their fair share (while they, themselves, pay 0% in corporate taxes) or how they support immigration reform (most likely because they love the cheap labor). Somehow, they don't seem to see how some of those positions may be offensive to a percentage of the people who shop there because these causes are considered PC while anything to the right is considered hateful and potentially tyrannical.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

Personally, I have nothing against a mature approach to free will when it comes to sexual relations but there are simply no excuses anymore for unwanted pregnancies. Birth control is available over almost every store counter in the country. Moreover, Obamacare seems bound to make it free to every woman from 6-to-60.

MYTH: Women are using abortion as a method of birth control.

In fact, half of all women getting abortions report that contraception was used during the month they became pregnant.1 Some of these couples had used the method improperly; some had forgotten or neglected to use it on the particular occasion they conceived; and some had used a contraceptive that failed. No contraceptive method prevents pregnancy 100% of the time. If abortion were used as a primary method of birth control, a typical woman would have at least two or three pregnancies per year - 30 or more during her lifetime. In fact, most women who have abortions have had no previous abortions (52%) or only one previous abortion (26%).5 Considering that most women are fertile for over 30 years, and that birth control is not perfect, the likelihood of having one or two unintended pregnancies is very high.
www.prochoice.org...

Also, education is key! 7 states trying to gut sex ed and promote abstinence

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Oh, I can understand a company's desire to not get mixed up in some political argument. That's why I said the classy thing would have been to just say nothing and let people think what they want about the ad. By denying any pro-life message, they give off the impression they are against the pro-life position or at least find it embarassing to be associated with that position in any way.

I think that's where your mind goes if you are pro-life. You are reading too much into it. They stated "That's not what I meant" not, "We are ardently pro-choice". You took that leap because of what you believe and that's not fair to them. They can't simply allow a group to use the ad for a political purpose without looking like they support that group. If they are trying to be apolitical they have to address it.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

MYTH: Women are using abortion as a method of birth control.

MYTH: This subject is not political and facts will not be manu'fact'ured to fit the needs of that agenda.

Common sense doesn't need poll results or some politically biased study. It's always there, as plain as the nose on the face you see in the mirror; fully recognizable, and understandable.

I stand by my comment.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

The pro-life movement has, for the most part, moved away from many of the hateful tactics of the past. Today, it uses prayer outside of clinics and sidewalk counseling to educate women about the life that is growing inside them.

Prayer outside clinics and "sidewalk counseling" is harassment. If they want to lose the reputation they have, then they need to leave women alone.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Prayer outside clinics and "sidewalk counseling" is harassment. If they want to lose the reputation they have, then they need to leave women alone.

Taking into consideration the reason such 'counselling' is being offered... the fate of a human life, the remaining complaint must have more to do with the sequestering of conscience than anything else.

Now, don't get me wrong. I fully agree that the responsibility of whether that child goes to term or is aborted, is the responsibility of the mother who is hosting said life. I also understand how being forced to face your choices in this matter can be extremely uncomfortable.

But... still and all, we're not talking about how a book of savings coupons will be spent or how many miles per gallon your car gets. This is a human life and if you (or anyone else) can justify setting the weight of this life aside to dodge the weight of it... then, what can I say?

My argument is that the current argument is:
A) Political and not based (from either extremist camp) on anything resembling humanity.
B) Once you pull the trigger here, there is no going back so you had better be sure you are sure.
C) How does this political quarter support banning guns but killing the unborn simply because the pregnancy was an accident?

Just an opinion.

edit on 9-5-2013 by redoubt because: typo repair

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

The tyranny of the PC mentality

More likely, it is the harsh reality of the retail industry.

Now days, especially concerning "sensitive" topics, retail stores are best served by distancing themselves from any political hot buttons. The proclamation made by this store chain has nothing to do with political correctness and everything to do with their bottom line.

I see this proclamation as a public announcement intended to nip any budding dissent, protest or boycott that may cause them to take a financial loss. Had the add been different and portrayed a scenario that may have come across as pro-choice and was being heralded as such by pro-choice groups; I suspect that a similar proclamation would have been issued.
edit on 9-5-2013 by LeatherNLace because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join