It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The tyrrany of the PC mentality: Store chain feels it necessary to proclaim its ad is NOT pro-life

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Nice dodge re facts that are politically manu'fact'ured... and regarding your:

Why don’t “pro-lifers” support birth control?

I know a lot of people who support human life who also (like myself) support birth control. In fact... I think I mentioned that in my original comment here.

Talk about manufacturing... you seem to be working on industry status, lol.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
People are getting ridiculous!

I shop at Publix and thought this was a really sweet ad, being pregnant and all.
I've seen this ad posted on FB many times since it came out. Nothing wrong with a mother cooking with her daughter!

When will people stop reading into things so damn much!

Publix has always had nice heartfelt commercials for Mothers Day and Fathers Day. Those who see this as a pro life commercial have deep seeded issues and are just looking to pick a fight.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

Given your sweeping generalities, hinting that all abortion is murder, I would gather that you believe that a "sacred life" begins at conception. Many of those who claim life begins at conception would also ban hormonal contraception, emergency contraception and IUD's.

Given the Catholic Church's stance on contraception, I would imagine that many unfortunate Catholic teenage girls find themselves in a clinic.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by chasingbrahman

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
Any statistics on how many 'pro-lifers' adopt those 'unwanted' children whose lives they fought so hard to protect?
Exactly. We have plenty of parents who very, very obviously are far less than thrilled with their output and all of his/her attachments. Sometimes birth control fails and these people need a course of action.
It is a question that seems to remain unanswered a lot. Cue the crickets...

edit on 9-5-2013 by JohnnyCanuck because: ...just because, eh?

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

Originally posted by redoubt
Taking into consideration the reason such 'counselling' is being offered... the fate of a human life, the remaining complaint must have more to do with the sequestering of conscience than anything else.

That's really none of your business, either. I would wager that most women who have an abortion are feeling some amount of guilt anyway (they DO know what they're doing, contrary to some people's beliefs) and they don't need some holier-than-thou stranger rubbing their face in it.

C) How does this political quarter support banning guns but killing the unborn simply because the pregnancy was an accident?

I don't speak for a political quarter, but I imagine it's similar to how another political quarter is quick to go to war and kill a bunch of innocent strangers, but doesn't want women to have autonomy over their own bodies because "every life is precious"... And yet, they're not willing to support these unwanted babies.

People are sometimes hypocritical. Worry about your own stuff and let others live their own lives, complete with feelings of guilt and learning the lessons of life.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Well, if anything, this thread has answered why it was that the store felt the need to make that clarification.

I never knew there was so much hatred out there for the pro-life cause in some quarters. Who woulda thought that standing up for the rights of those who cannot speak for themselves would subject someone to such virulent hatred and revulsion?

I guess I can't blame that company for wanting to stay out of this argument. The forces of political correctness truly have taken over the world.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

If Publix advertising, or business practices offends you....Don't shop there!!

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Still awaiting an answer to my question...

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
I never knew there was so much hatred out there for the pro-life cause in some quarters.

How do you feel about the anti-gun crowd? You know, the people who want to make laws that deny your choice to own guns? Do you feel all understanding and warm and fuzzy about them? No. Whether or not you own guns is NONE of their business. It's YOUR right, it's YOUR money, it's YOUR business. How dare they impose their choice on you, right?

Put the shoe in the other foot. The so-called "pro-life" cause is as messed up as the anti-gun cause. I don't belong to either because both are trying to force their personal beliefs on others.

Who woulda thought that standing up for the rights of those who cannot speak for themselves would subject someone to such virulent hatred and revulsion?

A fetus does not have rights. Don't kid yourself by saying that you're "standing up for the rights" of someone. That's just more PC BS. You aren't standing up for anyone's rights, you're trampling on the rights of women to make the decisions about their own bodies and reproduction.

The forces of political correctness truly have taken over the world.

And if you're "pro-life" those forces are being embraced by you. At least use a label that illustrates the truth: Anti-choice.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Sorry but, a Non-Sequitur does not merit a response in my book.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

I never knew there was so much hatred out there for the pro-life cause in some quarters. Who woulda thought that standing up for the rights of those who cannot speak for themselves would subject someone to such virulent hatred and revulsion?

Honestly, I haven't seen any "virulent hatred and revulsion" for your opinion or others that have posted, here in your thread, on behalf of the pro-life argument. But, I have seen, on these boards, not this thread yet, women admitting to having an abortion, sharing their experience, treated with virulent hatred and revulsion.

edit on 9-5-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   

That wasn't a non-sequitur. That was a legitimate question....answer it!

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   

I never knew there was so much hatred out there for the pro-life cause in some quarters.

You like to put people in "quarters" don't you?

Look - there was no hatred on the part of Publix. They just wanted to clear up a misunderstanding. There has been no hatred illustrated in this thread. In fact, it's been very civil and above board. Typical of the religious right and "pro-life" people, any disagreement is seen as "hatred" because that makes them the victim...

You are not the victim of hatred. We're having a discussion and debate. I thought some great points were being made. But it's hard to have a discussion when one party dismisses the questions and points made by the opposite position...

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Oh, it absolutely follows. There would seem to be a association between those who call for removing choice and those who decry aid for those in poverty or responsibility for the lives of those they have vouchsafed. A certain Christian crisis of confusion, I would say.

In fact, you might want to investigate the Donohue-Levitt hypothesis Link , in which it has been observed that rates of crime have dropped since Roe vs Wade. And not because Pro-lifers are adopting the kids that they insist should be born.

Non-sequitur indeed. In a very small universe, maybe. One where concepts of cause and effect are very much removed from each other.

Oh...and 'tyrrany'? Nope. One R, two Ns.
edit on 9-5-2013 by JohnnyCanuck because: of spelling, eh?

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Also, pro-life doesn't necessarily mean forcing people using legislation. Much of our efforts focus on educating the mother about the life growing inside her so she will make the right choice and decide to keep her baby.

Wow, that last paragraph says a lot....

so she will make the right choice and decide to keep her baby.

The Right Choice for whom?

as much as i hate the idea of knowing someone would willingly kill a baby,
i am pro choice, always have been. It is not my business, the decision is
up to the mother and father of the baby, period. No one else should be involved
in the decision except maybe a psychologist to make sure they are mentally ready
to deal with their decision.

edit on 9-5-2013 by severdsoul because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Allow me to devolve into my country self for a moment- Emotional blackmail ain't no way to convince anyone of anything. No one was hateful to you in the thread.
edit on 9-5-2013 by antonia because: too country there apparently lol

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   

pro-life doesn't necessarily mean forcing people using legislation

Yes it does, conservatives have pushed 900 bills in the last decade against abortion and birth control. They are worse than ever before, how you could deny that is unbelievable.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Any statistics on how many 'pro-lifers' adopt those 'unwanted' children whose lives they fought so hard to protect?

If you have an unwanted pregnancy then you do the responsible and sensible thing
you settle down and become the best mother/father you can be
It may sound harsh but you might have to put personal goals on hold
It was your choices that lead you to that point and you should take care of the baby
other people should not take a life changing burden for your actions
simple

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Dear Benevolent Heretic

From your responses you seem to be as much of the problem as pro-life extremists
because you are a pro-choice extremist yourself, at least in your views you are
you have the us vs them mentality, pro-choice vs pro-live bipartisanship
the reality, like in many other complex legal and social problems, is that it is not black and white
there is a whole lot of gray in the middle
and most sensible people will lie in a shade of gray

Would you not agree that abortions are a crude way of dealing with a much deeper and bigger problem?
or would you say that the pro-choice alternative is the perfect solution?

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by quietlearner

Originally posted by quietlearner

If you have an unwanted pregnancy then you do the responsible and sensible thing
you settle down and become the best mother/father you can be
It may sound harsh but you might have to put personal goals on hold
It was your choices that lead you to that point and you should take care of the baby
other people should not take a life changing burden for your actions
simple

This is a very pragmatic view point. It sounds like something my great aunt, who always wanted to be a nun, would have said to me.

I mean, first of all, adoption, the argument that a woman should sacrifice 9 months of her life, to give life, share that life with a couple who wants a child, rather than abort, is a noble thing to do, is a compelling argument in the pro-life agenda.

Further, many abortions are decided based on less then optimum health circumstances, when the fetus is found to have Down Syndrome, Spina Bifida, and other maladies that parent's don't feel capable of taking on.

But your solution is easy, never abort, pay the consequences.

Secondly, your stated point of view is an attempt at behavior modification, the ole "you do the crime, (sex) you do the time (parenting)" adage! Having a child, creating a family should never be viewed as a punishment for some night of passion. Having a family is a choice that needs planning, social support, and lots of money.

With the advent of easily accessible birth control comes promiscuity. Engaging in sexual activities is a fun past time. It's not all about romance, marriage and children anymore. A good chunk of those who opt for abortion, do so due to failed birth control.

Originally posted by quietlearner
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Dear Benevolent Heretic

From your responses you seem to be as much of the problem as pro-life extremists
because you are a pro-choice extremist yourself, at least in your views you are
you have the us vs them mentality, pro-choice vs pro-live bipartisanship
the reality, like in many other complex legal and social problems, is that it is not black and white
there is a whole lot of gray in the middle
and most sensible people will lie in a shade of gray

I also am a pragmatist. I am pro-choice. I see nothing immoral in opting for an abortion, under the present mainstream guidelines, up until 20-22 weeks, and with exception for emergency issues of the health of the mother.

Would you not agree that abortions are a crude way of dealing with a much deeper and bigger problem?
or would you say that the pro-choice alternative is the perfect solution?

We don't live in a utopia. Life is full of crudeness. Menastration is crude! Tampax and sanitary napkins are crude! Toilet paper is crude! Senility and Osteoporsis are crude!

Is the pro-choice alternative the perfect solution? More choice is always a better solution. We need more choices, better birth control, male birth control!

Soon abortion will be a moot argument, as science moves forward and finds medical solutions for these issues, leaving us and our discussion behind. The deeper and bigger problems of human condition will continue to persist and plague us though.

Making Abortion Obsolete

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join