It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man sticks finger into saw blade to prove his invention

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
This is a great idea.

Google Video Link
Losing a finger working on a weekend project, can mean money lost due to time off work because of the injury, not to mention the huge medical bills. Carpenters can lose a whole contract because they can't finish the job. This man invented a safety that stops the blade in 1/1000 of a second. "The blade has a sensor that detects electrical conductivity". Although it trashes the blade and the safety device that stops it, it only costs about $60 to replace. Don't know about everyone else, but my fingers are well worth 60 bucks. Probably not possible on a circular saw, too heavy and bulky, but it works fine on table saws.
Don't know what happened to the video, probably something I did [or didn't] but you can watch at the link below.

www.vidaddict.com...
edit on 9-5-2013 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

Your link doesn't work.
---
Here you go.
---

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

I've seen that a while ago. This is an awesome invention.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I saw a video like this at a safety meeting at work but instead of sticking his finger in the blade, he used a hot dog weenie. Still pretty cool invention though.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

Thank You

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Having a dad that worked in engineering for half his life and now has the obligatory missing fingers this seems like a great invention!

The only downside I see is that how are engineers / machinery operators now supposed to identify eachother if they dont all have at least one missing digit

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Just noticed a giant FUBAR. Both my browsers posted this!? I've been switching between the 2 and have no idea what happened. I've alerted The Mods and asked them to pick one and delete it.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
This was on TV about 5 years ago and I haven't seen anything come of it, I guess people figure if your dumb or clumsy enough to stick your finger in their, then oops, your going to loose a finger. LOL

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

Wow great invention! It did make me pretty tense when he stuck his finger in there i was cringing lol!

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
That is crazy but a great idea. My grandpa years ago lost a finger tip on a band saw. I wonder if with a little more engineering it would work on that application as well? Great invention I've never heard of before. Someone said they saw it years ago? I would think these would be all over the market by now.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Saw this a few years ago.

Cutting edge stuff.
edit on 9/5/2013 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
this was on Time Wrap, i use to watch Time Wrap all the time. it was a cool show.
here's a link to the site with some more videos.

Time Wrap

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

I which they had this 20 years ago, BEFORE my accidents.

I used to be an avid woodworker, creating solid Oak desks, chessboards and chess pieces from Walnut and Poplar, and many other projects. I blueprinted all my creations in the process. The first accident wasn't so bad, just the end of my thumb on my right hand, while cutting out a piece of 3/4 inch Walnut trim. Many million saw cuts later, fate struck again, this time my left thumb, the table saw blade ripping neatly through my distal phalanx and proximal phalanx, nearly through, on a diagonal slice.

I can remember my thumb barely attached, the saw shredding the tendons in the interphalangeal joint.

That REALLY hurt.

The ER said there wasn't much left to put back together, that they could stitch it up, but there was nothing they could do about the shredded tendons. 21 years later, I'm a Mechanic with each finger insured for 6000 USD each. My left thumb is permanently in Extension, no Flexion whatsoever:

I have a full range of movement otherwise. I don't do much woodworking anymore, losing heart from my own stupidity, just a project here or there. Please, folks, keep the safety guards on your table saws, or get one of those units. Like I said, I wish I had one 20 years ago. Believe me, I use the safety guards and push sticks now. Everything gets a feather board before a cut, and my fingers don't get anywhere near the blade. You live and learn.

Great thread, DAVID64, SnF.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
That guy has serious balls.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

I love it. A novel use of a very simple mechanical modification. One of those, "Why didn't I think of that?" kind of inventions.

Very cool.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Now that's a very useful invention and all table saws SHOULD have it as part of the design and national laws should be passed that orders companies manufacturing table saws to either have the device as part of the saw or be banned from selling their table saws in the countries the have that law.

edit on 10-5-2013 by Conspiracyskeptic because: spelling correction

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 04:18 AM
link   
I've got something like this on one of my machine tools - it's for cutting into a PCB to get access to an inner layer trace. You hook a wire to the trace you DON'T want to cut through, and just start drilling. The instant the drill bit or cutter touches the trace, it brakes within something like a 32nd of a rotation. Doesn't cut through even a 4 mil trace.

I'm sort of surprised no one's ever applied the same thing to a woodworking tool like this guy. I've got a table router and a saw I'd pay to have work this way. Still got all my fingers but I've come close a couple of times.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiracyskeptic
Now that's a very useful invention and all table saws SHOULD have it as part of the design and national laws should be passed that orders companies manufacturing table saws to either have the device as part of the saw or be banned from selling their table saws in the countries the have that law.

edit on 10-5-2013 by Conspiracyskeptic because: spelling correction

Jesus. Why do we have to make everything a law? What ever happened to the concept of "let the buyer beware"?

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
This is what makes privatization such a wonderful thing. People come up with innovative ideas when they compete. Bad side, I bet you there are equipments already being manufactured by the Chinese with this safety

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
The companies should be required to manufacture the table saws with these sensors by law in the same way elevators have sensors such that they lock in place if the cable fails instead of plummeting to the bottom of the shaft.

of the job of OSHA isn't really to make things safe but just make money off of regulating inane workplace "dangers" like a slippery floor.

This type of tech has been available for twenty years why do they just start it now.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join