It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France confirms first case of new SARS-related virus

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I have zero, zilch confidence that our government would warn the population of a real pandemic. I bet they would just let us drop like flies while they hide in bunkers with their whores.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Are these people not checked at the outbound airport before leaving a Country with high rate of any type of bug??

Stands to reason that they should go through proper checking before travelling. They could have passed it onto others who were on the flight!

Not just this bug but any bug!

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

I believe that the criteria for detecting these things needs adjustment, regrettably the airline industry and those who regulate it, including those who impose restrictions on travel and manage the ways that we detect potential outbreaks/infections have their hands full and limited funding/power required to properly detect these things.

In their defense it's difficult to screen every single passenger who has the sniffles. They usually wait until it's too late, or act too early and over react.

I fear that if and when the real deal ever happens we won't be able to do anything because by the time we realize what's going on it will probably be too late.

There was a post earlier in this thread about Chinese researchers playing around with certain viruses, and I know China isn't the only country doing this as many other nations do it as well. Part of me feels like we are doomed since everyone makes mistakes from time to time and it's only a matter of time before one of these weaponized strains is released whether it's by accident or on purpose.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Yep, I posted in the other Thread you are chatting about.... I believe that someone somewhere has let one of these Viruses escape or if they havn't, they will one day.

I think the last count was 28 death's in the Region of China but that was last week.... probably gone up a bit since.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

As of the last official count it's now at 32.

www.cidrap.umn.edu...

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

I believe that the criteria for detecting these things needs adjustment, regrettably the airline industry and those who regulate it, including those who impose restrictions on travel and manage the ways that we detect potential outbreaks/infections have their hands full and limited funding/power required to properly detect these things.

In their defense it's difficult to screen every single passenger who has the sniffles. They usually wait until it's too late, or act too early and over react.

I fear that if and when the real deal ever happens we won't be able to do anything because by the time we realize what's going on it will probably be too late.

There was a post earlier in this thread about Chinese researchers playing around with certain viruses, and I know China isn't the only country doing this as many other nations do it as well. Part of me feels like we are doomed since everyone makes mistakes from time to time and it's only a matter of time before one of these weaponized strains is released whether it's by accident or on purpose.

Mentioning China, back when they had that major SAR's epidemic, they had, double quick, remote temperature sensors set up at all train stations, airports and bus terminals. Very surprised how quick they set it all up. So if China can do it, can not see why airlines can not?

As a foreigner I among all the others were kept in the dark for some time, having our travel curtailed. A bike ride round the local area provided evidence of villagers setting up road blocks to their village. That is when we realised how serious it was.
edit on 9-5-2013 by dowot because: pressed return too quick.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   

As of the last official count it's now at 32.

www.cidrap.umn.edu...

I can guarantee if this was happening on American soil, your thread would be front page news.

As it is, it should be.

Scary stuff.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

I can guarantee if this was happening on American soil, your thread would be front page news.

As it is, it should be.

Scary stuff.

I never thought of that, but you are probably right.

Sometimes people don't think things are important unless it's in their own backyard, or maybe it's a matter of their media being different than ours. But the fact that it's not already major news kind of makes me feel like they are trying to downplay this while they figure out to contain it.

Personally I don't think this is our yearly flu scare in order to make us rush and get our shot.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Personally I don't think this is our yearly flu scare in order to make us rush and get our shot.

I'm starting to feel the same way about it.

Its almost as if it is being downplayed. That makes me a little nervous.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Well to be fair the world is overdue to be hit by another plague. I know the 1918 flu killed millions around the world and I believe there was a "mini" flu outbreak in the early 60s too. Part of me thinks this is nature's way of healing the ecosystem as the planet is overpopulated and so to counter that every so often a plague comes along and reduces the world population. Of course to think that humans themselves would deliberately introduce a disease into the population is hideous and those responsible if caught should be put on trial and then imprisoned for crimes against humanity.

I do hope I don't get an oral warning at work for being off sick more than eight days in a year if this does become an outbreak of truly epic global proportions. And not the hundred or so cases globally at the moment.

I think I shall top up on my vitamin intake for the next few weeks!
Might be worth stocking up on water and food too for the next month or so just in case.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Oh and perhaps I should watch 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later and other good post plague movies too!

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:06 AM
link   
It's now in the UK:

news.sky.com...

Health officials have said a deadly virus which has killed 18 people worldwide appears to be able to spread from person-to-person.

There have been 33 reported cases of the Sars-like novel coronavirus, known as hCoV-EMC, which causes severe pneumonia in victims and sometimes kidney failure.

It is most closely related to a bat virus and scientists are considering whether bats, camels or goats are a possible source of infection.

The virus was first detected in mid-2012, with most of those infected identified as having travelled to Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Jordan or Pakistan.

The UK has had four cases, two of whom died.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   

So it does seem to be semi-official that this is in fact spreading from human to human.

Also from your link...

A statement from the WHO added: "Of most concern, however, is the fact that the different clusters seen in multiple countries increasingly support the hypothesis that when there is close contact this novel coronavirus can transmit from person-to-person."

With a kill rate which seems to be well over 50% (this is not official, just going by the amount of deaths compared to the amount of official cases) I hope this does not rapidly spread to the general population, especially urban centers such as airports and busy cities.

Thanks for the link.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   

I hope not too. I'm in London.

I think the next time I go out into central London, I will be wearing a Surgical mask.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join