It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Many Sharks Are Killed Per Hour? This Graphic Will Shock You (INFOGRAPHIC)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Truly appalling.

But I think the reference would be more to the point of Sharks that are killed "Accidently" by the 100s in long trawl fishing nets.

Trawl fishing kills far more species that just fishing for sharks.

Sharks, Dolphins, etc etc are all drowned and killed in long trawl nets.

We are a truly abominable species!!.

Funny I was only thinking about this today, as I bought my can of Tuna.

That one little Supermarket, in one average size city, in a small population country...yet there are 1000s of supermakets, holding millions of cans of tuna, in my one small country.

Just imagine the 1000s of millions of cans of tuna in the USA or China with 1.3 billion people!!!!

Where does all that tuna come from? How many other species are sacrificed, just to get that tuna in a can?

What an incredibly wasteful, destructive creatures we are, one day the Earth will fight back. As in the past.

Why dont we start harvesting humans?....they breed like rabbits you know.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by gort51

It's not us that are destructive, but the system we are bound to obey.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I don't mind animals being killed for food/clothing what have you but I do have a real problem with finning. It's sick. Imagine someone cutting off your arms and legs and throwing you into a pool. If you're going to kill something, kill it humanely. I also have a problem with the number of sharks being killed. We have a tendency to take to much.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Sharks are just the coolest predators in the sea.

It seems that the Chinese and Japanese just want to absolutely murder everything in the sea to get a tasty treat!

There definitely is such thing as fat Asians!

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I agree it's appalling but as the shark population drops, at some point it will not be worth the energy required to hunt them. At the rates you state, that can't be far off.

If you want to feel sorry for any given creature, try the chicken, the most ill-treated and abused sacrificial animal on the planet. I imagine it's billions of chickens every day die for human food.

When are humans going to get on board with vegetarianism? It better be soon...

Oh,and BTW, the American Bison were mentioned. The US Army didn't slaughter them out of some kind of psychosis as generally thought - they were ordered to kill the bison to destroy the Plains Indians' way of life and drive them westward. It's what in the end conquered them. As usual, white men are psychopaths.
edit on 9-5-2013 by signalfire because: addendum

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Sparta

PER HOUR

Sorry I do not believe those stats, I do agree we kill to many though, if we kill them all those damned squid will take over I'm tellin' ya!

Yes per hour. How correct the figures are I can not be sure. However I think it is probably quite true..

Due to the incomplete nature of the data for shark catches, that number could be as low as 63 million or as high as 273 million, but both the high and low end estimates are outside of safe biological limits. According to the study’s authors, this number represents approximately 7% of all sharks in the ocean. On average, shark populations can grow at a maximum rate of 5% per year.

As can be seen, shark populations cannot grow fast enough to sustain this enormous removal each year, which is why sharks numbers have declined so dramatically in recent years.

oceana.org...

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Have you ever stopped to consider that mankind is a product of "nature?"
The "nature" you endow with the qualitiesof earth mother......
Perhaps we ARE doing what "nature" intends, as she prepares her Earth for radical changes and a new epoch, after apropriate cleansing of herself of course........
maybe mankind is directed in his unlogical and self destructive behaviors through a natural cycle of "nature"
Perhaps we are, or soon will be redundant, and meanwhile we are being used to help destroy the current ecosystem by "nature herself"

Seems everything humans get up to, is ruinous for our planet,...suicidal...yet...... we fling ourselves headlong into it......against all common sense.....
Is THIS proclivity"natural?"
Like a self cancelling program that eliminates itself from the data base if its files get corrupted...?
just sayin

edit on 9-5-2013 by stirling because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-5-2013 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by fluff007

"11,147 sharks PER HOUR"....if that's all we must be running behind...lol Run your numbers out, if they were indeed correct sharks would be extinct.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I'm not a shark lover, having being bitten once, an unpleasant experience to say the least. I realise that I was in the sharks environment and readily available as a shark food item. Sharks are basically mindless eating machines and to put forth an idea of mistaken identity as an excuse for a shark bite is totally ridiculous.

A shark bites and if it tastes good, he eats it or tries to. Sharks try to eat lots inanimate things, boat propellers, flotsam etc. If you get into a sharks environment you are liable to get bitten.

If you don't want to be victim of a shark bite, don't get in the water, seems like a sound practice, even though I had a friend get bitten by a "dead" small sand shark as he was holding it by the tail for a photo. It wasn't serious and quite funny at the time, to me anyway.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
This thread is ironic to say the least, an American saying someone else consumes to much. How many animals do we torture everyday to test cosmetics, vaccines, medicines, hell the wreckage left in our wake is staggering, but dear Chinese stop eating shark fins as the number one consumer in the world does not like it.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Boomer1941

"11,147 sharks PER HOUR"....if that's all we must be running behind...lol Run your numbers out, if they were indeed correct sharks would be extinct.

*Sighs....*

Do I really need to churn out the numbers again. Do people not read through threads anymore...

OK so here we go again....

There are roughly 8,765 hours in on year. Multiply by 11,417 equals roughly about 100,079,252..

Firstly there are over 470 different species of sharks.. The estimated number of sharks in the ocean is hundreds of millions probably even billions. You believe there to be 7 billion humans on the land of this planet. The ocean covers 71% of the planet.. Why is it so difficult for you to believe that 100 million sharks die per year. If there are billions in the sea... Maybe you are in denial. Maybe you are a sceptic. Maybe you do not want to believe that we as a race are so speciesist. I do not know.......

The sharks discussed in the OP are the open ocean (pelagic) sharks of which there are 64 species.. Here are some shark species that are commonly finned sandbar, bull, hammerhead, blacktip, porbeagle, mako, thresher, blue and occasionally white sharks...

32% of those 64 species of shark are now threatened with extinction due to overfishing....

And like I said in a previous posts sharks do reproduce... But they are not like other marine animals. They do not lay millions of eggs at a time. Many species only have one shark pup per year. They also take roughly 10/15 yrs to reach maturity. So with all the damage we have already inflicted added with their slow and fragile reproduction rate. Their population may never recover.....

Please would you have a read of this. Or maybe actually do some research yourself......

Why Should We Care About Sharks?

We should care because sharks are valued citizens of oceanic eco-systems. They are both predators and scavengers, and these roles they play contribute to eliminating diseased and genetically-defective animals and help to stabilize fish populations.

We do not know enough about marine ecology to understand what the impact of this incredible onslaught of shark deaths will bring about. There will be consequences.
Life in our oceans has been seriously disrupted. With shark populations reduced from 70% in some species to up to 95% in other species, the consequences are extremely serious.

For example, removing sharks will increase octopus populations resulting in greater predation on lobsters by octopus. This was the very reason that the spiny lobster fishery collapsed in Tasmania.

www.seashepherd.org...

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Lets get sad for the sharks and mad at the humans. Seriously, lets worry about how many people are getting killed in Chicago, and how many children are being abused in this country instead focusing on the sharks right now.

Yes I know I should care about sharks because they keep the squid in check. Squid is an excellent meal. As is shark.

edit on 9-5-2013 by LastStarfighter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Why don't you go feed yourself to the sharks if you feel they should eat more of us?? try teaching them that humans are tasty... eat healthy for a while and baste yourself in a nice sauce.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by votan

Why don't you go feed yourself to the sharks if you feel they should eat more of us?? try teaching them that humans are tasty... eat healthy for a while and baste yourself in a nice sauce.

Now that is good advice

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by votan

The OP was not suggesting that sharks should eat more of us.. Did you not notice that it was a joke..

Sharks kill somewhere between 10 - 40 people a year. Most sharks are harmless to people. So even if you did try feeding the OP to the sharks it probably would not work. Tiger sharks, bull sharks and great whites are most likely to kill you.

Sharks are a top predator. They are important to ocean ecosystems.. What do you think would happen to the worlds ocean if we wipe out the predators... Reply and contribute something of worth to the thread apart from a throw away off topic post...

kind regards..

purp..

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamsnatcher
This thread is ironic to say the least, an American saying someone else consumes to much. How many animals do we torture everyday to test cosmetics, vaccines, medicines, hell the wreckage left in our wake is staggering, but dear Chinese stop eating shark fins as the number one consumer in the world does not like it.

Are you saying that you should only be able to make a thread about the sharks if you are Chinese.. Dang I thought this was an international forum.....

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlindBastards
I call bunkin. If humans kill this many then how are there any sharks left in the ocean?! Same goes with a lot of other things. Fear mongering, really.

Why not provide some evidence to prove this is bunk...

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by LastStarfighter
Lets get sad for the sharks and mad at the humans. Seriously, lets worry about how many people are getting killed in Chicago, and how many children are being abused in this country instead focusing on the sharks right now.

Yes I know I should care about sharks because they keep the squid in check. Squid is an excellent meal. As is shark.

You share a planet with other species. If everyone had your attitude there would be no planet left for you to worry about child abuse in your country... A little short sighted on your part dont you think.. I really wish people could be bothered to think things through a little before they posted...

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

A fair and well thought out point.. IBut we do not fall outside the remit of nature then what ever we choose to do is natural. So maybe we should learn to start doing things a little different so that we look after our planet instead of destroying it..

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   

The Monsters are Killing EVERYTHING. Including the Planet!

When will we stand against them? For the sake of every living thing.

When will we say we've had enough? What else will we let them destroy?

When will we regain our Humanity?

When will we say NO? NO MORE!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join