It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Many Sharks Are Killed Per Hour? This Graphic Will Shock You (INFOGRAPHIC)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:05 AM
link   
If we kill that many sharks in a day how many tunafish do we kill?

oh wait who cares they are all just fish..

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by dreamsnatcher
This thread is ironic to say the least, an American saying someone else consumes to much. How many animals do we torture everyday to test cosmetics, vaccines, medicines, hell the wreckage left in our wake is staggering, but dear Chinese stop eating shark fins as the number one consumer in the world does not like it.

The first thing I would like to say to you is; never assume anything.

For starters I am NOT an American. I am British and I live on an island off the West Coast of Scotland. Actually I do not consider myself British but more of a being of the earth..

I never stated that anyone consumed too much. I was simply spreading information to those who need to be educated about the fact that if we continue to inflict damage upon the creatures in the ocean then there will be dire consequences to follow...

And it is not just the Chinese who are responsible for this...

I do not know about you but I do not torture animals everyday. I try very hard to either make my own stuff or buy things that I know are not tested on animals.

I am not the number one consumer in the world...

If you had bothered to read any of the information given in the thread then you would understand why protecting one of the main predators in the ocean is so important. IMHO your post seems very ignorant...

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by elfrog
I'm not a shark lover, having being bitten once, an unpleasant experience to say the least. I realise that I was in the sharks environment and readily available as a shark food item. Sharks are basically mindless eating machines and to put forth an idea of mistaken identity as an excuse for a shark bite is totally ridiculous.

A shark bites and if it tastes good, he eats it or tries to. Sharks try to eat lots inanimate things, boat propellers, flotsam etc. If you get into a sharks environment you are liable to get bitten.

If you don't want to be victim of a shark bite, don't get in the water, seems like a sound practice, even though I had a friend get bitten by a "dead" small sand shark as he was holding it by the tail for a photo. It wasn't serious and quite funny at the time, to me anyway.

I do not think sharks are mindless killing machines. But this is how they have been portrayed by the media over numerous decades to scare people. It is ironic as IMHO humans can be mindless killing machines.....

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by LastStarfighter
Lets get sad for the sharks and mad at the humans. Seriously, lets worry about how many people are getting killed in Chicago, and how many children are being abused in this country instead focusing on the sharks right now.

Yes I know I should care about sharks because they keep the squid in check. Squid is an excellent meal. As is shark.

edit on 9-5-2013 by LastStarfighter because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-5-2013 by LastStarfighter because: (no reason given)

Wow..

I do not know about your good self but I am more than capable of caring about multiple issues at once.. What about child abuse world wide. Why just the Chicago children. Are they more important than any other child. Are their lives of more value than any other.... It seems that many Americans believe the people of their country are more important than other peoples. I do not understand this..

Every single individual on this planet is important and has a part to play. No matter how small or how big....

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Most vegans realize that the world's oceans, forests, and "wild"life are being destroyed to feed corpsearians. Eating corpses is the single worse preconditioned habit man has kept and sustained from his prehistoric ancestors. It is a death spiral kept in motion by death industries. And generation after generation, one advertisement after another, societies portray it as both normal and "good". This shark-death report - sharks killed for their fins of all things - shows that ignorance still reigns and is chipping away at the natural world at a rate that any sane civilization would recognize, act on, and reverse.
edit on 10-5-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-5-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by votan
reply to post by fluff007

Why don't you go feed yourself to the sharks if you feel they should eat more of us?? try teaching them that humans are tasty... eat healthy for a while and baste yourself in a nice sauce.

Do you not possess any humour. They can teach themselves that humans are tasty. Sharks do not have a voice. They can not stand up and say hey! we are being threatened with extinction if you do not do something about this. We are suffering and so is our population...

It is up to people who care for our planet to stand on their behalf and speak for them.

I read an article not long ago that said there have been studies done which show that human emotions are in decline. Humans are so desensitised and uncompassionate we are becoming droid like..

That is scary...

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by goou111
If we kill that many sharks in a day how many tunafish do we kill?

oh wait who cares they are all just fish..

I would imagine the number of tuna fish killed is huge too. About 60,000 tons are killed per year and that is the recorded number. Not including all illegal catches...

You will soon care when both these marine animals are extinct. It will have dire consequences for the oceans ecosystems... Have you not read any of the information in this thread.

Do you know what will happen if sharks are wiped out.. Do a bit of research and see for yourself..

Again I will say to you what I said to another poster. An article I read not long ago said there had been studies proving that humans are becoming droid like.

Human emotions are in decline and we have become so desensitised as a species that this might even be the cause of our own downfall..

Do you want your children or your children's children to live on a lifeless planet left for dead...

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I am sorry the humans are mean to you. Cuddle with a shark
edit on 10-5-2013 by LastStarfighter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
We still don't seem to understand how the food web works. Without the top predators, the whole system could fall apart. Will we finally be satisfied when the oceans are empty?

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Don't worry. The top predators for wild deer are gone and the human race thrives.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Very important topic. I covered it a few years ago. Sharkwater is an amazing doc and should be watched by anyone that cares for our environment:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join