It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arctic Ice Melt "has the momentum of a runaway train."

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Baffled German Government Concedes! “Global Warming Has Stopped…Warming Pause Is Remarkable…Unexpected
notrickszone.com... le-unexpected/

must......pay......Al Gore........more.........money.......

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 04:11 AM
link   
I don't know how many hear watch the Deadliest Catch on the Discovery Channel but the winter of 2011-12 had near record ice that damaged many of the crab fleet.

The arctic is a good place to make claims about because very few people can see the real story and its easy to make up stories about fake ice melt.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

Do you understand the difference between science and religion? Between a scientist and a priest?

Are you a climate scientist? Have you taken all the measurements and recorded all the data yourself?

What are you saying, if you haven't done it yourself, then you shouldn't believe it?

Have you sailed around the planet, or flown in a plane all the way around the Earth? if not, then how do you know the Earth isn't flat? That the Sun does not evolve around the Earth? Have you been in space?

How do you know your computer wasn't built by elves, and that it doesn't work by magic?

I am not a climate scientist, but I have decades of experience in instrumentation and understand the science quite well.

Most of what I know and do, I was taught by others, just like everyone else. I have followed up on my lessons by putting the knowledge to work, and proving to myself that what I was taught is real.

My knowledge and experience improves my ability to read what others have reported, and make a pretty good decision on whether or not the source has any validity.

There is a huge difference between believing something on faith, Moses parted the Red Sea, and believing something because you read observations made by people with legitimate credentials that report the results of well documented observations backed by established science.

Most of the people who claim global warming is a hoax is basing their beliefs on what some right wing radio jockeys claims, based on pure nonsense. When the evidence is examined, it is very clear that if you believe in science, and are able to read a report and know it it provides credible evidence, that global warming is indeed occurring, and accelerating.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

I have no faith in any of these global fix suggestions.

We are screwed, from what I have read, and there is little we can do about it.

Except hope to survive. The only question is how fast changes are going to take place.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by swanne

Go back to the link I provided as evidence.

The ice across the Antarctic continent is melting and flowing into the Southern Ocean, which is continuing to both warm and increase in current speed.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by pikestaff

I don't know who Climate Depot is, but the seem to be completely out of touch. A search on google news will quickly prove them wrong.

www.washingtonpost.com...

Russia is evacuating a drifting Arctic research station that was supposed to last until September, because the ice it is built on is starting to break up.

The cracks are another indication of the rapid decline of the Arctic ice sheet — especially so because the encampment is on the Canadian side of the Arctic Sea, where the ice is oldest and most durable.

The station — the 40th in a string of North Pole drift stations that began in 1937 — went into operation Oct. 1, later than usual because the leaders of the project had a difficult time finding a sufficiently robust floe to base the camp on. In fact, according to the U.S. National Ocean.

NOAA’s “Arctic Report Card” notes in particular the decrease in older ice — that is, ice more than four years old. A long-lasting tongue of older ice that extended toward Russia virtually disappeared last year. Throughout the Arctic, older ice accounted for 26 percent of the ice cover in March 1988 and just 7 percent in March 2012.

Claiming that Arctic ice is not melting at this point in time is clinging to pure fantasy.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
There's those words again.

Could - Climate Models - Predicted

So, in two years time when we're all still here can we dispense with this highly profitable nonsense?

Notice that the word “Con” is the name of the ministers of environment. They arrest you for eating snow crab meat and for driving your SUV on days that are assigned for worshipping the snowy bat.
edit on 12-6-2013 by MarkScheppy because: a

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by lampsalot

Originally posted by pavil
reply to post by WanderingThe3rd

Ok, I"ll bite once more.

How is making the Huge landmasses of Siberia and Canada more viable for habitation a bad thing if Man-Made global warming is occurring? The overall net gain of habitable land will increase.

We will not die as a species because of ANY global warming save the Sun going ballistic on us.

Lets revisit this thread in 2015 and see how good that prediction is...........

It's not going to make Canada and Siberia more habitable. The soil there is very poor and in many places is bare rock.

There is lots of evidence that the permafrost areas of Canada and Siberia were once vast forests, hence the methane locked in the permafrost. Prove that most of that area is bare rock and bad soil. In the long run, if global warming keeps on, those northern latitude areas where there is permafrost will once again become thriving land supporting both animals and plants in far greater concentrations then they do today. Warmer Temps will also make other areas of Northern Latitudes more habitable as well with longer, warmer growing seasons.

edit on 13-6-2013 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
There is no global warming.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Methane levels are also increasing over Antarctica.

methane-hydrates.blogspot.com...

Image 1. (above) shows high levels of methane over the poles. Peak levels of over 2000 ppb over Antarctica have been recorded repeatedly over the past few months, which is extraordinary, the more so since the photochemical sink for methane is typically strongest during summer, while average levels of methane over Antarctica have historically been the lowest on Earth (image 2. below).

What it looks like is that the glaciers on Antartica have deteriorated to the point that they are releasing as large amounts of methane from hydrates as the Arctic.

How this is happening is pure speculation at this point, but a likely cause is deep fissures in the thick glaciers releasing the methane. This is very bad news.

We might have two runaway trains, one at each pole.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

The antarctic ice is melting from below, warmer ocean water is eroding them.
Link

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Thanks for the link.

Put two and two together, and it looks like the glaciers are developing fissures and breaking up.

Methane is escaping from the fissures, and accelerating the process.

What is supposed to take a thousand years could happen within decades.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Most who claim climate change is a hoax would like to keep doing things the way things have always been done, in order to keep selling all of those dumbasses those things that cause climate change.

It's about turning a profit, there is no such thing as "Sustainable Development".

The earth's resources should be inventoried and controlled like anything else, those who do not understand this are the ones who believe everything will go on as it has forever, and generate the lion's share of the profit for themselves.

Lotsa good it'll do when the planet, in it's osmotic sort of way gets rid of the pollutants knocking things outta wack, to balance things out naturally.

Makes one wonder if maybe the so called "Great Flood" may not have been anything more than the planet resetting itself the last time around

The warehouse is empty.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by MyHappyDogShiner
reply to post by poet1b

Most who claim climate change is a hoax would like to keep doing things the way things have always been done, in order to keep selling all of those dumbasses those things that cause climate change.

It's about turning a profit, there is no such thing as "Sustainable Development".

The earth's resources should be inventoried and controlled like anything else, those who do not understand this are the ones who believe everything will go on as it has forever, and generate the lion's share of the profit for themselves.

Lotsa good it'll do when the planet, in it's osmotic sort of way gets rid of the pollutants knocking things outta wack, to balance things out naturally.

Makes one wonder if maybe the so called "Great Flood" may not have been anything more than the planet resetting itself the last time around

The warehouse is empty.

I remember you =)

Great points in my opinion.

I don't think the Earth is in "business as usual mode" by creating new plots of land, new ore deposits, new oil reserves, new lumber and rainforests, more marine life, etc.

Or perhaps the Earth is trying to cope, but is being offset by the demands of mankind in a losing battle?

I think the flood was a reset, and the Earth has been reset many times. Perhaps we are near that switch now and heading to the hills is a good idea?

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I create these threads to keep track of the data as it has came out. I was more on the sidelines of the issue until 2008 when Arctic Ice experienced a huge loss. It became obvious, after looking at the data that this bad become a very major issue, if not the major issue of our time. Before then I had thought there was a possibility that we would run out of the cheap high grade oil before GW became a real problem, and things equalized. I thought this was still a possibility until I read reports of methane plumes a KM wide. At that time, IMO, it became a very distinct possibility that a massive extinction event could take place, which is currently taking place, that would hit humanity a lot sooner than expected.

This latest link I posted on Antarctic methane levels may be the most ominous sign yet. Runaway Train may be an understatement. Wild Fire is more accurate. It is hard to say how dramatic the changes are going to be over the next couple of years, but there is a very real possibility that in the next year there could be a wide spread uprooting of civilization on a significant scale.

edit on 18-6-2013 by poet1b because: Typos

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
Nothing to worry about kids.

This is just another lie by those damn liberal tree huggers!

Will they still be saying that when their in water that is neck high?

Wow, wow, wow... I wonder if similar dramatic Climate Changes are happening anywhere else in the Solar System?....

Heck, I remember some years back in these same forums when I started posting the fact that Mars, Pluto and other planets and moons with an atmosphere were undergoing dramatic Climate Changes at the same time, but worse than the Earth has been, the AGW camp came back claiming "but look at Venus, nothing is happening to Venus and it is closer to the Sun", well guess what?...

Venus’ Winds Are Mysteriously Speeding Up

by Jason Major on June 18,

High-altitude winds on neighboring Venus have long been known to be quite speedy, whipping sulfuric-acid-laden clouds around the superheated planet at speeds well over 300 km/h (180 mph). And after over six years collecting data from orbit, ESA’s Venus Express has found that the winds there are steadily getting faster… and scientists really don’t know why.

By tracking the movements of distinct features in Venus’ cloud tops at an altitude of 70 km (43 miles) over a period of six years — which is 10 of Venus’ years — scientists have been able to monitor patterns in long-term global wind speeds.

What two separate studies have found is a rising trend in high-altitude wind speeds in a broad swath south of Venus equator, from around 300 km/h when Venus Express first entered orbit in 2006 to 400 km/h (250 mph) in 2012. Thats nearly double the wind speeds found in a category 4 hurricane here on Earth!

www.universetoday.com...

Jupiter Photos Reveal Big Changes on Giant Planet

by SPACE.com Staff

Date: 17 October 2012 Time: 04:58 PM ET

Jupiter, the largest planet in our solar system, has made some dramatic transformations in recent years, a new study reveals.

Huge belts in the giant planet's atmosphere have changed color, radiation hotspots have faded and flared up again, and cloud levels have thickened and dissolved, all while space rocks have been hurtling into it the gas giant, astronomers said.

www.space.com...

But I guess it's got to be them suvs in Venus... Damnit Venusians...stop driving around so much!!!... Same for Martians, and Putorians, and Jupiterians, etc, etc...

When are people really going to start THINKING for themselves instead of repeating the same BS they are being constantly told by the same people who have been caught time and again LYING?... Heck, is not like they NEVER lied to you right?...

CO2 is not magical, you can't claim that CO2 causes "major warming" meanwhile the most warming in reality has been occurring in places that are remote and far away from cities. If CO2 was the culprit we should have been seeing most WARMING in the major cities and not in remote areas FAR AWAY from the sources of anthropogenic CO2...

Not to mention the fact that meanwhile the AGW camp among regular people keep wanting everyone to change their lives, the elites and governments have been digging bunkers even back at a time when they claimed "it can be stopped"... If these people really believe they could stop or even mitigate Climate Change why build bunkers for seeds, and for "art collections"?... The answer should be obvious, and no, they were not seeing the future, they knew they can't stop it, or even mitigate it.

BTW, the following part is also very telling.

"The changes we're seeing in Jupiter are global in scale," Glenn Orton, a scientist at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif., said in a statement today (Oct. 17).
Orton and his team found that in 2011 the North Equatorial Belt grew whiter than it had in a century, though it started to darken again earlier this year. And along the southern edge of this belt, the team observed infrared hotspots (which signal radiation being released from a deep layer of Jupiter's atmosphere) vanished from 2010 to 2011, but remerged by June 2012. During this period, the researchers also observed thickening of the deeper cloud decks in the northern belt, the while both the deeper and upper cloud decks of the southern belt condensed and then cleared up.
"Other changes haven't been seen in decades, and some regions have never been in the state they're appearing in now. At the same time, we've never seen so many things striking Jupiter," he explained in a statement. "Right now, we're trying to figure out why this is all happening."

www.space.com...

So, we have been seeing GLOBAL dramatic CLIMATE CHANGES in several, if not all planets in the Solar System as well as moons with an atmosphere like Triton, at the same time that Earth has been experiencing similar problems.

Not only that, but we know as a fact that the most warming on Earth has been occurring FAR AWAY from major sources of anthropogenic CO2.

Over the past 30 years, the Earth has warmed by 0.6° C or 1.08° F. Over the past 100 years, it has warmed by 0.8° C or 1.44° F.

Current warmth seems to be occurring nearly everywhere at the same time and is largest at high latitudes in the Northern Hemisphere. Over the last 50 years, the largest annual and seasonal warmings have occurred in Alaska, Siberia and the Antarctic Peninsula. Most ocean areas have warmed. Because these areas are remote and far away from major cities, it is clear to climatologists that the warming is not due to the influence of pollution from urban areas.

www.nasa.gov...

It should be obvious by now that it is not "coincidence" that planets and moons with an atmosphere in the Solar System have been experiencing not only dramatic Climate Changes, but these changes have been in the form of WARMING...

But hey some people still want to believe the fairy tale that "humans are to blame for CLIMATE CHANGE"...

edit on 21-6-2013 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

BTW, I can see that you are still unwilling to stop using all of your power, yet you want(alongside some others) for everyone else to change...

Do you even know what is the biggest source of anthropogenic CO2 on Earth?... It is not cars btw, it has something to do with you using your pc everyday to this day to post thread after thread, and post after post proclaiming that "people must start making changes, and stop using oil"...

I am not advocating the release of REAL TOXIC chemicals or gases into the environment, but people have to start thinking and understand that there is a BIG difference between CLIMATE CHANGE and the lie that is AGW (Anthropogenic Global Warming).

Oh and btw, knowing how the regions FAR AWAY from major cities have been the MOST affected during the ongoing Climate Change I do have to wonder what could possibly be the reason for these areas like the Artic warming more than the rest of the planet...

Perhaps it has something to do with the following?

Do look at what regions are hit the most by the Solar wind.

Anyway, it not only has to do with our Sun, for some reason there has also been an increase in magmatic and volcanic activity on Earth, which in turn seem to be also heating the oceans.

BTW, did anyone notice how in the article about Jupiter I posted above they also mention that Jupiter is being hit by meteors more than we have ever seen?

Can I finally say "I told you so"?

edit on 21-6-2013 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   
And I also forgot to post the following about Mars.

Weather On Mars Surprisingly Warm, Curiosity Rover Finds

by SPACE.com Staff

Date: 01 October 2012 Time: 07:00 AM ET

NASA's Mars rover Curiosity is enjoying some nice, warm weather on the Red Planet — and spring hasn't even come to its landing site yet.

Curiosity's onboard weather station, which is called the Remote Environment Monitoring Station (REMS), has measured air temperatures as high as 43 degrees Fahrenheit (6 degrees Celsius) in the afternoon. And temperatures have climbed above freezing during more than half of the Martian days, or sols, since REMS was turned on, scientists said.

These measurements are a bit unexpected, since it's still late winter at Gale Crater, the spot 4.5 degrees south of the Martian equator where Curiosity touched down on Aug. 5.

www.space.com...

Yes, we have to observe Mars even more to see if it will continue warming, even when we know Mars ice caps have been melting, and Mars has been warming alongside other planets since at least the 1990s.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

Ah, still repeating the same old debunked propaganda. The solar system is not experiencing Solar Warming, some parts are heating, other parts are cooling. This theory has been debunked on many threads.

The poles are Earth's heatsinks, so naturally they heat faster, and the evidence is easier to monitor, but the evidence of carbon fuels effecting cities is quite obvious in the form of smog and extreme weather.

At least you recognize that Global Warming is happening. The evidence of the true cause has yet to be established, but most of it leans towards industrialization and over production. At this time, I think the point is mute.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

I haven't told anyone to change their lifestyles. The problem is far bigger than people starting to be more environmentally conservative. I try to keep my carbon footprint small, and using my computer isn't making a dent. Imagine how much electricity Wall Street uses to keep their stock market gambling casino running, or those corporate prisons. Planned Obsolescence is a far bigger problem. Making products on one side of the planet with slave labor in horrible environmental conditions, to ship those products to the other side of the planet is a far bigger problem.

As the planets oceans increase in volume, and increase their pressure on the Earth's crust, it is only natural that we would see and increase in volcanic and magmatic activity, not to mention seismic activity.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join