It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who in your inner circle is WORTH prepping for?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I guess the question is, who are you prepping for and why?

This is gonna be a partially self indulgent thread, forgive me.

I am 19 years old, and my living situation is in limbo right now. Luckily, I'm almost done with my school and my fiance has found a job. He's getting his foot in the door with some real estate stuff, which means we'll be getting some decent money (time is the only thing keeping us from it). So, I'll be more than a lone prepper jumping between my mamaw's house and my friends' houses with a bug-out bag. I'll finally be able to start some decent prepping once my fiance and I get our new place, and I can't wait. Got some serious plans.

I want to explain why I brought up this question in the form of a thread. Because earlier today, my fiance and I were in a tight spot, and he almost didn't make it to work because our transportation fell through (we haven't paid our car off completely, so we're still car pooling with friends). When I began to think, who can we ask for a ride? Who can we really rely on?

Out of the many friends we have, almost none of them popped into my head. Granted, they're all around my age and none of them have stable transportation either, which is understandable, but then I began to think about why my friends haven't gotten on their feet.

Unlike me and my fiance, a lot of our friends are very content with living in a cloud. Video games, anime, and joking around (or for our friends who are girls, being girly and kinda loose). None of them want to live outside of their own bubble. In fact, most of the things that motivate them involve really trivial things, like staying up all night and watching movies, or having emotional tantrums when they're stressed. That's the extent of their passion. I've never ONCE heard any of them rant about the things I hear on ATS or Infowars.

I'll stop people at walmart and rant about how the government is manipulating them. It makes my BLOOD BOIL when I hear about it, and I start to rant. It angers me beyond measure. That's why I empathize with Alex Jones, hearing him rant is like hearing my own thoughts. I've heard all the bad things there are to hear about Alex, so if you're gonna reply to bash him, don't bother. That's not the point of the thread.

The point is, I have a lot of little kids in my family. A little brother, sister, and lots of little cousins who play with me on a regular basis. When I think about how screwed up my generation is, thinking about theirs scared the hell outta me. When I see the kids, I see innocent little creatures that need to be protected.

I don't see that with my friends.

My friends are closer to me than my family (besides the kids), and they've been supportive of me when family drama broke out. But many of them have told me they'd be fine living in their shells and hiding in their own personal happiness all their lives.

If I have a bunker, I have a plan. I'll have a few firearms that only my fiance and I will be allowed to use (unless we're in a tight spot, being attacked or something). And everyone will have to contribute.

But here's the thing; my best friend once crushed my other best friend's foot in a door because she "pissed him off." I love him to death, but... really?

My friend who's foot was crushed in the door once exploded into a psychotic breakdown because my fiance and I wanted to go out and spend time with other friends. She was panicking, saying we didn't love her anymore, and didn't want to spend time with her anymore.

I want to save my friends, because I've seen them at their strongest, and they've surprised me. Problem is, I have no idea how they'd act in a life-or-death situation.

I KNOW I'm planning for the kids in my family (as hard as it would be to negotiate with their parents about taking them to an underground bunker when TSHTF)

Not sure if I'm planning for my friends.

How do you know who's worth prepping for?

How do you know who's actually gonna HELP you?

How do you prep for non-believers? Auuugh.

I was hoping hearing some of you ATS prepper's plans and perspectives might give me a little more insight before I throw my plans into action. I was also hoping to provoke this thought in whoever sees this thread, in case you're a prepper and you haven't thought of this. Its kinda important.

So, who are you prepping for? And why?

Do you think these people are actually gonna HELP you?

Give it some thought. This is important!

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   
My Wife, Mom, Son...and a long lost friend.

Peace

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I don't prep.. If something happens I will kill people and take what they have to survive. Well I guess I do prep certain things, weapons but nothing else really.

I do have a prepping plan of people/places I will hit first to get what supplies I need. I am strategically located where I live and in a really good situation to where I wouldn't have to kill to many people and have lots of hunting available as well as people around me with farms so we will work out deals with them to helps us all survive.

Mainly I have places that I would loot to get supplies first. But may have to kill other people who are trying to steal the supplies as well.

There is a couple of nice atv/dirtbike stores near by me so I can get some ATV and stuff. Got a few nice guns shops near by, couple pawn shops, a few used car dealerships, grocery stores, ect.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   
The fact your prepping for an event you fear shows a life full of paranoia. You cannot prepare to survive something you have not experienced. You either do or you don't. You take it as it rolls and make instant decisions and react accordingly.

The rest of the planning is BS in my opinion. Especially if it's coming from those under 25 who have all head ideas and yet fall into panic when they break their smartphone. Only life will prepare you and the older you get the better you get.

Sorry.... seen it so many times it's beyond funny.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater
I don't prep.. If something happens I will kill people and take what they have to survive. Well I guess I do prep certain things, weapons but nothing else really.

I do have a prepping plan of people/places I will hit first to get what supplies I need. I am strategically located where I live and in a really good situation to where I wouldn't have to kill to many people and have lots of hunting available as well as people around me with farms so we will work out deals with them to helps us all survive.

Mainly I have places that I would loot to get supplies first. But may have to kill other people who are trying to steal the supplies as well.

There is a couple of nice atv/dirtbike stores near by me so I can get some ATV and stuff. Got a few nice guns shops near by, couple pawn shops, a few used car dealerships, grocery stores, ect.

Not bad plans, but why plan as a loner? Wouldn't commune living be smarter?

Do you have a reason why you don't plan on being around people?

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

My Mom

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Well I have my girlfriend and her daughter but I am not prepping for them. I will survive with them and a few people in my core group of neighbors. Some of them I will have to kill though I already know that. Then we can build a compound and work together to survive.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   

You are probably better off Not telling others that you are preparing for anything.

The problem comes about 10 days after the Shtuff Has Hit The Fan and everyone realizes they are HOSED.

You Must Always remember. . . .. Desperation Breeds Courage.

When someone gets Hungry, they are going to do what they need to do to eat.

If you would like to see a Very good Example of this do some research on the Donner Party.

Also, it might be wise to keep in mind that if it comes down to it the government will declare that "Emanate Domain" BS and take ALL of your Shtuff.

Don't worry, when you have the Need, your Reptilian Brain will kick in and take over. It is called "Self Preservation". Think back to the Stone Age. That is where we will be.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by MadMax7
The fact your prepping for an event you fear shows a life full of paranoia. You cannot prepare to survive something you have not experienced. You either do or you don't. You take it as it rolls and make instant decisions and react accordingly.

The rest of the planning is BS in my opinion. Especially if it's coming from those under 25 who have all head ideas and yet fall into panic when they break their smartphone. Only life will prepare you and the older you get the better you get.

WoW!

I knew there were a lot of people out there that are still blind and clueless but to see so many coming out on ATS is the truly interesting part.

But that's ok. You probably wouldn't know how to prep anyways. 2 cans of Spaghettios and a pint of Mountain Dew won't make it very far.

Jude11

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by MadMax7

I'm not preparing for any event, I'm just preparing. To prepare for one event in particular is kinda stupid.

I didn't grow up hunting or farming, and I realize that society lives fairly dependent on the establishments that be. I am prepping because I am tired of being that way. Its lead me to homelessness more than once.

Get over yourself.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   
To everyone;

Well I have my girlfriend and her daughter but I am not prepping for them. I will survive with them and a few people in my core group of neighbors. Some of them I will have to kill though I already know that. Then we can build a compound and work together to survive.

It might be less of a hassle (and less of a karmatic burden) if you didn't plan to kill people. Killing someone should be a last resort. But, its your plans and your life.

Don't worry, when you have the Need, your Reptilian Brain will kick in and take over. It is called "Self Preservation". Think back to the Stone Age. That is where we will be.

But aren't we the descendants of the "mutant" humans who were genetically altered to be more obedient? Ha... I've been getting into weird stuff lately.

On a serious note, that's what I worry about regarding my friends. I've seen them surprise me, they have their strong points. But I've had to talk a few of them out of suicide. I worry about how they'd take it.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 02:51 AM
link   
My fiance, my sister, and her kids. That's really about it, to be honest. There's just not a whole lot of people in my circle that are worth it.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Wow, these questions make me panic. I know who I would prepare for, but I also have a 6 year old niece and I worry myself stupid about what kind of world it is going to be for her when she's about 15 or something. What kind of life she's going to have to prepare for.
I have a few friends I would willingly die for, so I will prepare for them along with my family. Luckily my friends think the same as me so I wouldn't have the 'non believer' issue, my family on the other may be a little harder to convince, but I think I could get through to them if I ever really needed too.
I have some friends and I always wonder about how they can get through every day in a little bubble, sometimes I wish I could do it to be honest, the weight of the world sometimes gets me down, but I hate drama and stay away from it as much as possible, so I try not to get involved with friends drama unless they genuinely need my help for something.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
They make me panic too. I'm essentially starting fresh, and I haven't talked to my older cousins about taking their kids to an underground bunker in the future given the event of some kind of public, national, or global disaster. My family is good ol' southern, fairly simple folk.

They'd think I was insane to propose such a thing.

Still working on how I'm gonna talk em into it. None of my family are conspirators (besides my mum and dad, but they don't obsess over it like I do). I think, if I had a bunker or at least some strategy, my parents would let me take my brother and sister if I could provide the means to protect them.

My little cousins have different non-conspirator parents, though. They're gonna be a bit harder to sway.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Hey Jewel. Hope you are well. And very interesting thread.

I have been more mentally preparing than anything tbh. I know I need items and what not, but I haven't started on that and I am a horrible procrastinator.

The main people I am concerned with in all honesty is my son and little sister.

EDIT~ oh and the reason why my son and sister, is becuase they mean the world to me.
~nat cat~
edit on 4-5-2013 by natalia because:

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by natalia

Hey Jewel. Hope you are well. And very interesting thread.

I have been more mentally preparing than anything tbh. I know I need items and what not, but I haven't started on that and I am a horrible procrastinator.

The main people I am concerned with in all honesty is my son and little sister.

EDIT~ oh and the reason why my son and sister, is becuase they mean the world to me.
~nat cat~
edit on 4-5-2013 by natalia because:

Yeah? Props to you Nat.

I kinda wish my inner circle was a bit smaller, kinda, kinda...

But I have so many friends and little cousins... and I'm the only believer out of all of them.

Its overwhelming.

BTW, your avatar is adorable.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   

I guess the question is, who are you prepping for and why?

First and foremost, my wife and I, of course.
Second, close friends and family.

As for why, there are several reasons:

1) Having emerged from some tough times recently, we benefited first hand from prepping, as some of our measures allowed us to live better off of a reduced income during that time.

2) I have a good location and setup to allow for it (land, a well, etc.), whereas my friends and family do not.

3) We may never see any kind of SHTF event, but even a temporary event (like a major hurricane) can displace friends and family in evacuation zones, and we could always lose power for a time, etc.

4) It helps me feel I'm doing SOMETHING when facing all of the threats to our way of life when watching/reading the news, and I like feeling more self-sufficient.

5) I see my close family and friends as being conducive to my quality of life. I don't just want to survive a SHTF event, I want it to cause as little disruption as possible.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   

On a serious note, that's what I worry about regarding my friends. I've seen them surprise me, they have their strong points. But I've had to talk a few of them out of suicide. I worry about how they'd take it.

It's a phase. Once they mature and start having more to care about, any suicidal tendencies go out the window.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater
I don't prep.. If something happens I will kill people and take what they have to survive.

I see.. I bet you'll like that. What an immoral society has our civilization become. A controlling government and a bloodthirsty, filled with violence, people. Shame on you. You see so much violence in the movies you actually think it's our reality. Or, at least, you wish it would be.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by dc4lifeskater

This is a horrible plan (the killing others part), both morally and strategically. I don't have to elaborate on the morality, but strategically, this is courting death. You may be able to survive this way, for a short time, but also you'd be alone and have to shun people the rest of your days. And, contrary to your self-opinion as Rambo, there will be people out there better equipped and trained to kill you, and likely, THEY are organizing into groups to do just that, pick off lone survivors with lots of stuff.

Picture it, an armed group, going around, trying to sustain themselves. Who do they attack first, a lone guy with guns and stockpiled gear, or an armed survival compound with sentries, booby traps, etc.? Keep in mind, no hospitals around, so even a minor gunshot could end up killing you by going septic. My advice to people who aren't in a position to prep themselves, is to befriend others who are, and have some skills to bring to the table, even if those skills include just being able to bring some arms. You'll have a much better LIFE vs. just surviving. Just my opinion. The part of your plan where you work a deal with farmers, that's more like it. In this scenario, you'd be better off working as a lone trader going between farms and brokering trade deals, getting food, possibly gear, and shelter for your troubles.
edit on 6-5-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join