It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who in your inner circle is WORTH prepping for?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Once they mature and start having more to care about, any suicidal tendencies go out the window.

I am struggling with these tendencies myself. It's not about being immature, it's about how much someone values oneself. Some people have no evidences that their life has a value, or feel that their existence causes more harm than good. These people may be tempted in terminating what causes harm, even if it's themselves.

This is not always the cause, of course. But one should investigate further than dismissive psychology. Low self-esteem may be a trait some people will carry all their life, and incorporate into their critical thinking processes. These people may permanently assume their life has less value than others.

edit on 6-5-2013 by swan001 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by swan001

No doubt, but my statement was more in consideration of the OP's stated age, and assumption that friends are in the same age group. A lot of young people go through a stage of suicidal thoughts and simply mature through it.

That does not imply that these thoughts in older folks are immature, as having such feelings when there are things in your life to care about, usually points to some other triggering event or condition causing hopelessness.

I am struggling with these tendencies myself. It's not about being immature, it's about how much someone values oneself. Some people have no evidences that their life has a value, or feel that their existence causes more harm than good. These people may be tempted in terminating what causes harm, even if it's themselves.

All I can say is look around you. REALLY look around you. Look at the people who DO value you, and who have shown you kindness, and know that you DO matter to them. THEY see the value, so you need to see what they see.
edit on 6-5-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by swan001

This is beyond the scope of this thread, but I have noticed a lot of those tendencies correlate with a specific life-circumstance. This may or may not apply to you, it's just a generalization I have found to have some power to explain one source of stress.

The most at-risk age group in our culture is young adult. I believe the reason for this is quite simply that we expect them to behave like young adults, but at the same time we don't value their viewpoints since they have so little life experience as adults. It's not something that is explicit in our society, but the undercurrent is definitely there.

Someone recently asked me what advice I would give the 1980s-era me, and the question got me thinking about what I most needed at that early stage in my life. Basically, things got better as I acquired coping skills, and moved up the 'food-chain' socially.

As to the OP's thoughts, I acquired a better class of friends---because my friends grew up emotionally by surviving various economic and emotional hard times. We all got seasoned by the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.

wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
I'm older now but still running, still running against the wind.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by tovenar

I'll think about it. Thanks for sharing that thought, it may indeed explain at least some cases.

reply to post by Gazrok

These are wise words. I'l try and remember them...

Now, back on topic...

reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

I think anyone I love I would prep for. Even if they don't help, that's not the point. It's not about what I get from them, it's a bout what I can give them. At the end, that's what really counts. Nice thread BTW S&F.

edit on 7-5-2013 by swan001 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by dc4lifeskater

I fear that should TSHTF you will not be doing the killing. I'm sorry to say that your plan is no plan and it will not work. If you're planning ahead of time to kill other looters you can be sure other more experienced looters are planning to do the same.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies, guys. Interesting reads.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join