It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great Jobs Report: Unemployment Rate Falls To 7.5%

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   

The April number is out and it's good all around! This is a major relief for the economy, as people have been worried about slowing data. The 165,000 new jobs was above the 140,000 that was expected. The unemployment rate fell to 7.5%. It was expected to stay flat at 7.6%. And there were big upward revisions to last month, which was originally really weak.

The April Jobs Report

I'll admit I've had my doubts about Obama, but this is good news. Perhaps I've been wrong about his policies? Or is this due to the sequester? As everyone tended to blame Bush for the economy during his tenure, (and even long after), and people have been blaming Obama for the economy when its been bad during his first term I guess he deserves credit when things are getting better too?

Thoughts anyone?
edit on 3-5-2013 by BobM88 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-5-2013 by Gazrok because: removed all caps from titles.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by BobM88

I'll need to see a more constant trend before I believe his action/ inaction had anything to do with it. Didn't a favorable jobs report come out just before the election that showed it was improving, only to have it sink down afterwards?

+40 more 
posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by BobM88

I appreciate your positive attitude, but I believe the number of unemployed has dropped only because people have fallen out of the system and aren't collecting unemployment benefits anymore.
According to this, it's 13.9%
portalseven.com...

+4 more 
posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by BobM88

^^^^^Beat me while I was still typing.....

Yeah they aren't taking into consideration the people still unemployed that had their benefits run out!!

Nothing changed, it is a false report......People still don't have jobs nor money, but with benefits running out on millions of people it makes Obama look like a superstar!!

edit on 5/3/2013 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Also this,

The American economy continues to add jobs in proportion to population growth. Nothing less, nothing more. The share of American adults with jobs has barely changed since 2010, hovering between 58.2 percent and 58.7 percent. This employment-to-population ratio stood at 58.6 percent in April. That is about four percentage points lower than the employment rate before the recession, a difference of roughly 10 million jobs. In other words, the United States economy is not getting any closer to recreating the jobs lost during the recession.

So I guess take it for what you will.

economix.blogs.nytimes.com...
edit on 3-5-2013 by Covertblack because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

Sorry 'bout that!

Yeah, you would think that they'd have a better system in place, but it works for them as it satisfies their agenda.
Imagine if the bot that runs the stock market according to memes was this off!

Oh, wait. I bet the stock bot is programmed to increase stock markets on this report. See how that works?

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
reply to post by BobM88

I appreciate your positive attitude, but I believe the number of unemployed has dropped only because people have fallen out of the system and aren't collecting unemployment benefits anymore.
portalseven.com...

Yup,

This lack of progress has been obscured by the steady decline of the high-profile unemployment rate, which continued in April. But the unemployment rate is easily misunderstood. The government counts as unemployed only those who are actively looking for new jobs. As people have given up, the unemployment rate has declined – not because more people are working, but because more people have stopped looking for work.

economix.blogs.nytimes.com...

+4 more 
posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
These guys say its different.

www.shadowstats.com...

The workforce participation rate is at 1979 levels. Not good!

These numbers provided by the government are rigged like a cheap carnival game!
edit on 3-5-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

+12 more 
posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I personally know many people who have fallen out of the system and are still unemployed. The report to me is so false it is not even funny. I am out of work right now, but it doesn't count because I am not collecting unemployment.

Work is very hard to come by. But I do believe networking and meeting people with like minds help. Maybe some work, maybe some trading....

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss

www.shadowstats.com...

Wow! That's twice as high as the report I posted.
I seriously wonder what the real number is. I wouldn't doubt if there isn't a single person out there that knows for sure.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

www.shadowstats.com...

Wow! That's twice as high as the report I posted.
I seriously wonder what the real number is. I wouldn't doubt if there isn't a single person out there that knows for sure.

if you read who they come up with those numbers you will understand there charts are "more true" to the real state of this union

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

Ah, well that is interesting! U6 even went up .1% by the looks of that data.

I'm the first to admit I'm no economist, I have less than a layman's knowledge of these statistics, so I guess I'm one of those easily bamboozled by these reports.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

reply to post by BobM88

portalseven.com...

And?

The U6 is still on the decline and still under what it was when Obama took office in 2009.

You can't compare today's U6 to the pasts U3 (official number).

At some point, people are going to have to stop lying to themselves and admit that Obama turned this economy around. Have you looked at the housing market lately? That is bouncing back to...so is the stock market.

History books will show that Obama saved the economy...at this point it is historical fact.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

reply to post by BobM88

portalseven.com...

Indeed... That is what the other side of the reports indicate ..and the media always seems to forget to mention until a polite period after the first bit of news has been what sticks with 90% of people.

I'd just say anyone can go to the Bureau of Labor Stats and see, personally, the text reports issued about the same time which always explain method and details of how a number came to be ...as well as the full U-1 through U-6 Unemployment numbers. (And I'll bet half the people celebrating this have NO clue what I'm talking about by that, either.
)

@48e18

WOW.... Your assessment of historical fact is why they emphasize critical thinking SO heavily in College. It's to deprogram the near automatic acceptance of a single report without questioning how it came to be or why something changed. Tinkered with, this way or that, the SAME set of original raw data can be made to 'honestly' show almost anything the statistician wants it to show ..within reasonable bounds on either side of center line.
edit on 3-5-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

See? That makes no sense to not count someone like you just because you're no longer on unemployment. How that could possibly give an accurate figure in any accounting of the true number of unemployed people is a mystery to me. I don't even see the point in not counting that figure other than for political purposes.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by BobM88
reply to post by Afterthought

Ah, well that is interesting! U6 even went up .1% by the looks of that data.

I'm the first to admit I'm no economist, I have less than a layman's knowledge of these statistics, so I guess I'm one of those easily bamboozled by these reports.

It's all good! Just remember that we're all here to learn.
It's difficult sifting through all the propaganda to figure out what's real and what's not, but you have the right attitude.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise
I personally know many people who have fallen out of the system and are still unemployed. The report to me is so false it is not even funny. I am out of work right now, but it doesn't count because I am not collecting unemployment.

That is simply untrue.

People like you would still show up in the surveys and not drop off of the other collecting methods unless you were out of work for several months (which would suggest you aren't looking very hard).
edit on 3-5-2013 by 48e18 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by BobM88
reply to post by Starwise

See? That makes no sense to not count someone like you just because you're no longer on unemployment. How that could possibly give an accurate figure in any accounting of the true number of unemployed people is a mystery to me. I don't even see the point in not counting that figure other than for political purposes.

Right!
I find it very interesting that they really got the number wrong especially since last month was tax time. They sure don't forget anyone with it has to do with that!

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by 48e18

(which would suggest you aren't looking very hard).

Conjecture.

What about,

The government counts as unemployed only those who are actively looking for new jobs. As people have given up, the unemployment rate has declined – not because more people are working, but because more people have stopped looking for work.

Is that false?

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

www.shadowstats.com...

The workforce participation rate is at 1979 levels. Not good!

These numbers provided by the government are rigged like a cheap carnival game!
edit on 3-5-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

I heard this same statistic on the news this morning. Lowest workforce participation rate since 1979. That doesn't sound like improvement to me.

As someone else pointed out, the unemployment numbers only APPEAR better because some people have been out of work so long they have stopped looking.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join