It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are alcoholics, winos, and sugar addicts just craving Vitamin C? "Of course" says the OP

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister
reply to post by BriGuyTM90

That's a bit off topic.

I was explaining why ethanol and compounds like it are addicting. I would say its on topic.

Did it become popular because of man's perpetual longing for Vitamin C? Maybe. And maybe its never been tested, so there is no statistical accumulation to refer to when addressing the issue.

Actually its pretty certain that the reasoning behind its expansion and wide use came from it being more sterile than water, its intoxicating effects, and its addictive qualities.

you'd have to make sure that the people on ascorbic acid took at least 5 grams a day of tablet ascobic acid or the highest absorbed amount of Vitamin C from the ATS-wide popular drinkable type.

That is a ridiculous amount of ascorbic acid for some one to take. Ascorbic acid is only absorbed by the body up to a certain rate, so there's a point where adding more wont effect the rate at which it is absorbed. That amount is a lot lower than 5g its more around 90mg I believe. At that high of a does your are just giving your self a better chance of experiencing adverse effects from it. There are other forms of vit. c that have a higher bio-availability do to part if the molecule being non-polar. Also I don't know what the ATS-wide poplular form of it is but any form of Vit. C is drinkable you just have to put it in a liquid.

By the way, the bodies production line is almost able to make it, and is only missing one key step.

edit on 1-5-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

Yup the L-Gulono-1,4-lactone oxidase step and primates lost the ability to preform this step as a genetic mutation.

And maybe its never been tested, so there is no statistical accumulation to refer to when addressing the issue.

Yes meaning there is no evidence to support your theory. Having no evidence of something doesn't mean that it is true. There is a quite a bit of evidence as to why ethanol is addictive and no evidence has ever implemented vitamin c as one of the causes.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
you should check out the info on candida albicans. It is a yeast/mold that grows and afflicts various organs in the human body, such as, the brain. Once it is there, it may make the brain actually crave what feeds it, such as the byproducts of alcohol as it breaks down inside the system.

Would provide a link, but anyone here is more than capable of searching. Besides, I grew disgusted with a post in reply I saw on the first page about what alcoholism is all about that was the usual judgemental tripe that got us all to where we are now.....a paradigm of judgement that is all about culling the population as it controls it to make us cullable.....

anywho, candida albicans....that's the story. good luck, morning glory.
Tetra50

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   
No, no I just like to get drunk.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   

humans and other apes

Which apes ? the ones who can post threads or the ones who are being ape like their fathers ?

Although all other lifeforms happily and constantly make it within themselves, we broke a long long long time ago.

Is this science or is it fiction ?

Last time I was trying to make Vitamin C , I made a donkey . Coincidence ?

+ I saw a donkey who was trying to make a giraffe , but the child ended up elephant.

Maybe he ate much apple and less cucumber. Coincidence ?

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Nice touch.
Read that chocolate cravings arise from deficiencies in healthy fats, and can be replaced with almonds...
Well chocolate is still great - & people are generally deficient in the whole array of vitamins lacking in our modern agricultural harvests - so both are good to include in ones diet!!

Thanks for the info~

LOVE

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Hi - I kicked off taking liposomal with my normal diet...

but I was starting to feel so much better, I went the whole way...

now this is a bit on topic and a bit off topic...but I have actually tried to make my alcoholic drinks healthier...

I bought a Hurom juicer to try and make good juices - i ditched the colas, beer, wine...all mixers....

Now I will have a vodka or gin, etc with some bizarre juice mixes...once a week...maybe on a friday, watching a film or something

Best one so far has been a weird gin concoction...

2 measures gin
1 measure vodka
1 measure gomme (yep - sugar..I know!)
1/2 measure triple sec

2 granny smith apples
big handful of parsley
bit of ginger..
top with ice and sparking water....

it's pretty damn good.

I dont get the same hangovers or feel bunged up in my nose and chest after drinking...

have just tried to remove as many additives as possible...as well as dosing up on liposomal..

feel pretty fresh!

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by mideast

humans and other apes

Which apes ? the ones who can post threads or the ones who are being ape like their fathers ?

Although all other lifeforms happily and constantly make it within themselves, we broke a long long long time ago.

Is this science or is it fiction ?

Last time I was trying to make Vitamin C , I made a donkey . Coincidence ?

+ I saw a donkey who was trying to make a giraffe , but the child ended up elephant.

Maybe he ate much apple and less cucumber. Coincidence ?

Ah, apes like their fathers? I don't understand your question.

As for primates like humans not being able to make Vitamin C in our bodies because the mechanism broke, yes, that's true and is not fiction. The other animals you named (donkey, elephant, giraffe) can all make it within their bodies, which is why they don't have that particular genetic disease. Humans do have that disease, and it is a major - not minor - one. We are all "sick" at birth from our bodies not being able to produce ascorbic acid.
edit on 2-5-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
You have to ensure for your teeth enamel to stay clean, if your taking the powdered form (or chewable) to rinse you mouth and enamel thoroughly after you take this.

I rarely take any vitamin C now, because it, like potassium iodide and apple cider vinegar, make my arthritis worse.

So Im sticking to magnesium powder, vitamin D, MSM, which helped it enormously.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I drink two to four shots of Jack Daniels a day for the last thirty or so years or so..

...Haven't been ill since the eighties

Should I eat a lime or something so I don't get sick ?

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by rival

No you should start drinking proper whisky and buy some 21 year old Highland Park

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
reply to post by rival

No you should start drinking proper whisky and buy some 21 year old Highland Park

Maybe so...I started drinking JD in my youth 'cause I thought it made me look tough

Now I'm so used to it that any other liquor tastes terrible to me

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Wow, never thought of it that way Aleister. Maybe I need to take Vit C. My grandmother use to keep a HUGE bottle of Vit C wafers under the sink. They were cherry. Fond memories of my childhood. I guess I should have taken her lead, huh? Or like, if you start to get a headache, lie down with a cool rag and some mint oil on it, for about 15 minutes, and the headache goes away.

Anyway, as far as alcohol goes, if we crave it, what your saying, is if we are stressed out, our bodys consume more Vit C? I'll have to research this.......So, maybe I should switch from wine to drinking something mixed with juice?? Already on it, Got Cran-raspberry, And Raspberry Vodka!!!!!!

Did you know the fruit highest in vitamin C is a Strawberry????

If ya didn't, now ya know!!!

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Interesting idea.

Got any actual evidence?

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by tetra50
you should check out the info on candida albicans. It is a yeast/mold that grows and afflicts various organs in the human body, such as, the brain. Once it is there, it may make the brain actually crave what feeds it, such as the byproducts of alcohol as it breaks down inside the system.

Whoa, there buddy. People aren't going to have a yeast infection in the brain unless they have HIV, or some other disease where their immune system is compromised.
candida albicans is part of the normal flora in both the mouth, gut, and vagina. It's only when there's a problem that it grows out of control.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Malcher
Thats what i am gonna tell my wife next time i get hammer stead. "just craving me vitamins"

But seriously, i never heard of a human body craving vitamins. So i have to say no on this chestnut.

Several years ago I could drink most grown men under the table (that is no exaggeration, sad to say). In more recent years, I've become almost intolerant of alcohol. Coincidentally, I've become more aware of what my body needs nutritionally and physically. The more in-tuned I've become with my body's needs, the less I crave potentially damaging substances.

Everyone in our home takes a regular old multivitamin, daily. FlintStones sour chewy gummy vites are friggin' addictive, beware. I actually eat several more than what's directed throughout my day. I even have to hide the jar from my kids so they won't OD on gummy vites. Yes, they're that yummy, lol!

But it's also critical people understand proper absorption of particular vitamins and minerals. The same is true, of course, for certain foods and medicines. Without following this basic rule, many people end up missing valuable nutrients. The body will naturally "crave" items (sometimes really odd items, like dirt or even blood) when it's deprived nutritionally.

For the most part, my diet consists of raw fresh fruits (a lot of berries), raw fresh veggies (bright colored), raw unflavored almonds and beans. But, I'm not a vegetarian. About once or twice a month, I must have red meat! I will then have an 8 oz. filet, barely seared, with a glass of merlot, followed by one dark chocolate truffle, yummy

I'm convinced following this diet, along with moderate exercise, is the primary reason I still look like I'm in my early twenties. Could it also be the reason for no longer feeling an urge to drink excessively? Proper nutrition could be the medical breakthrough most people are missing.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Hi Op

Believe it or not I am brewing some orange country wine atm including a pineapple and mango one, I shall try to get some kind of test kit to see if any vitamin C is remaining in the wine after it is fully fermented.

Afterall if I'm drinking to fill my cravings a wine that actually holds some of the stuff I'm craving would be the best thing right?

I agree that our food/drink is full of crap that fools our body into thinking we are getting the good stuff, but isn't that why we should live a more natural life with an equally natural diet

Grow your own, cook your own and eat your own as much as possible and I can guarantee that you will not need to pop any tablets to better your immunal deficiencies. Oh and stay away from frozen foods, that always helps.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Grapes don't have vitamin C to begin with.

It's really just the sugar that is sought after primarily, when it was a rarity.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Where are you getting the idea that wino's are doing it to subconsciously get vitamin C? What about all the other stuff the human body needs but doesn't make, like certain amino acids.

You could posit that we consume anything to subconsciously serve the body's physiological need for these amino acids and vitamins that the body can't synthesize.

Thus your hypothesis is interesting but I don't see anything to support it.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   

edit on 2-5-2013 by yamammasamonkey because: I forgot something

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I am sure they do crave the alcohol.
edit on 2-5-2013 by Merinda because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join