It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fish Die-Off at Eagles Mere Lake, Pennsylvania.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Dead fish found at one of our area’s most pristine lakes has caught the attention of state officials. The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat commission is trying to find out what caused the dead fish to wash ashore at Eagles Mere Lake in Sullivan County. In these clear blue waters in Sullivan County, dozens and dozens of dead fish have been floating to the surface. Mostly sunfish, trout and bass have been found dead. Some people who work in the Eagles Mere lake community say it’s more than fishy. "It's scary because people fish out of there, there's kids in here in the summertime," said Brittany Mapes of Forksville.

Well this seems a bit odd. Some speculation seems to be Oxygen levels, but then, the state says no?

At this point, we have no reason to believe the kill was caused by any pollution entering the lake." The Fish and Boat Commission does not think the dead fish were caused by low oxygen levels in the lake. The commission is now asking to do more tests on the lake water.
(Source: RSOE)

Odd... The story says they are doing more testing and certainly going to attempt to answer what did this. I bring this primarily as a piece to share for those who may live nearby but also as a story to stand for the forum and ATS search, in case it may tie into something else either now or in the future.

Odd? Maybe...and maybe not. Die-Off's are never something to casually ignore though. As the story notes, it does have the attention of people living around the lake. Anyone with more insight?

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Great thread as always.

I don't know if you are aware of this site, but it describes some theory/hypothesis about whats happening to our planet.

I found it quite interesting, and i think some of his theory fits in to what is going on.

Obviously there will be animals dying off, especially oceanic species, but other species will sicken and die too. Sometimes animals will go crazy from neurological damage caused by hydrogen sulfide's neurotoxic properties. Some animals may foam at the mouth as a result of chemical damage to their lungs. Predators will attempt to adapt to the changes in the biosphere and may turn to our pets or to us as an alternate source of nutrition. All oxygen-using species will suffer but because of their vigorous reproductive capabilities, insects and fungi and some species of plants will fare best and the world may for a very significant time be dominated by those species.

jumpingjackflashhypothesis.blogspot.co.uk...

Regards.

S&F
edit on 1/5/2013 by andypb because: S&F

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   
There's a lot of fracking in Sullivan County. Maybe related to that? Something leaked in the water table? That should be easy to prove, if "they" are willing to actually admit those findings.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I live quite close to Eagles Mere and this is the first I've heard of this! Disconcerting to say the least. I've spent many happy hours up there. It's a beautiful place with a wonderful little community surrounding the lake. I know several people who either have summer homes at the lake or live there year round. Pristine is the perfect word to describe the place. Fracking comes to mind immediately as a possible cause. I cannot believe some of the things I've witnessed with the gas industry moving into Sullivan County and the other counties in the region. It is intensely saddening and horrifying.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   
My mom happens to work for the fish and boat commission. I will ask her to find out some info on this tomorrow and I'll report back.

But for now, my guess is that the thermocline is all out of whack from the temperature fluctuations that we've been having.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Fracking can force gasses into large pockets under the earth and lakebeds- gasses like methane and hydrogen sulfide. Methane bubbling up through a body of water will kill fish- and once escaped into the air can kill birds as it 'layers' at specific heights depending on air temperature.
I have noted that in areas like the Lake Erie die-off people complained of a 'rotten egg odor' strong enough to get them out of bed several hours before the fish started reaching shore.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
This is very interesting. S&F for finding it. Low oxygen levels this time of year aren't that common. I hope they identify the problem. Any fracking going on around there? Fracking the earth can also cause some trapped gasses to escape on rare occasions. It could even be natural activity.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Originally posted by ns9504
There's a lot of fracking in Sullivan County. Maybe related to that? Something leaked in the water table?
That should be easy to prove, if "they" are willing to actually admit those findings.

reply to post by dalloway

Take a look at this; Posted in Augest of 2012.

The lake is lovely, the town is quaint and the people are nice. It one of the sites that we're worried
about as it's in the Marcellus Shale play. Drilling may disturb the natural environment before long, so get
here while you can. Visited August 2012
Trip Advisor
------

The latest plans to drill up to 30,000 more wells throughout the Marcellus Shale is drawing the ire of the Eagles Mere community, an idyllic Pennsylvania vacation town. What makes Eagle Mere a bastion for anti-drilling support is that the landowners there are rather well-to-do, so they aren't as susceptible to gas industry money. "There are some things that are just not worth risking," Bob Spahr, a year-round resident of Eagles Mere told Reuters. Many townsfolk have been offered up to $2,500 an acre to lease their land for natural gas drilling, but have stood resolutely against leasing the area for drilling. The Eagles Mere Association — which owns over 200 acres surrounding the area lake — recently turned down an offer from Chesapeake Energy Corp. to expand their fracking operations into the town.
greenchipstocks
------

Here is a map of all known fracking sites in PA. HOLY #!.

stateimpact.npr.org...
--------
And here is the company that runs the Sullivan site.

"Shirk Unit A 1H
Operated by Chief Oil & Gas Llc
County: Sullivan
Municipality: Forks township"

I have been fishing for 25 years and I can tell you from first hand experience that if Sunfish are dying, I highly doubt it is from lack of "oxygen". I have 100's of Sunfish I use for my fish emulsion farm. Sunfish can go from 90degree water ponds to almost freezing water without getting shock and I have witnessed a Sunfish out of water for 25 minutes before flipping back into the water to swim off like it was never out of the water. So lack of oxygen? Don't think so. Temperature wise for bass and trout, they would need a INSTANT cool down of 20 degrees or more to suffer "shock" from water temperature changes. This is true for most fish.

Ever win a gold fish at a fair, bring it home and put it in a fresh bowl of water you just poured, just for
the fish to die a few minutes later? That is shock from water temp change.

I will put my bets on fracking. The nearest fracking site to Eagles Mere Lake is only 3Miles away in Sullivan County and is below the lake level. They could have easily broken shale fragments that have gasses trapped in them that could also easily follow rock fissures straight to the lake. Lakes have water tables below them...Water that is trapped in shale rock under the lake can mix with forced shale evac of gases to cause this kind of "die-off".

I tried fixing the spacing problem you get from copy and pasting from notepad to the site....last try,sorry for the hard read.

edit on 5-5-2013 by TruthSeekersRUS because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-5-2013 by TruthSeekersRUS because: (no reason given)

top topics

join