It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DIY SETI? How Can I search For Aliens On My Own?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
How can I search for alien signals on my own? What kind of equipment would I need? Techniques?

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by HomoSapiensSapiens

You can actually donate use of your hard-drive for their use in the search on the site

setiathome.berkeley.edu...

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
probably a satellite of some sort as any signals found on this earth will most probably be from this earth. Although if you search the kitchens of all your local foreign restaraunts, you may find some but probably not the sort you are looking for.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

I would love to learn that myself..
i am a member of the ATS seti team
But who knows what deals seti have made with various shadow corporations
they could be using my computing power for anything without me knowing

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomoSapiensSapiens
How can I search for alien signals on my own? What kind of equipment would I need? Techniques?

There's an App for that!
itunes.apple.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
You'd need a way to receive the signals from the area of the sky you would like to view, now you have to look at where your receiver is pointed to and look at what's incoming and see if you can make any heads or tails of it and there is the problems as how do you know whats alien versus random crap

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
There are amateur groups who have tried it. It can be done, but the detection sensitivity for a small setup is not going to be anywhere near the pros, naturally.

Recent link calculations have revealed what should not particularly surprise experienced weak-signal radio amateurs: the best ham SETI station we can assemble appears unable to communicate with its counterpart at the distance of the nearest star.

www.setileague.org...

That said, the goal of such a setup is not in hopes of detecting a similarly feeble dish transmitting at the other end, but in hopes of detecting a much bigger transmitter at the other end. Here's some good info about how to set such a system up:
www.setileague.org...

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
It would involve you learning a LOT about radio. Antenna design, receiver design, DSP techniques. It's not for the faint of heart. I don't think you can pick up an Acme Home SETI kit.

LOTS of math. Lots of it.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam
It would involve you learning a LOT about radio. Antenna design, receiver design, DSP techniques. It's not for the faint of heart. I don't think you can pick up an Acme Home SETI kit.

You forgot the most difficult part: Sitting for days, weeks, months, years, and decades without hearing so much as a tsss on your radio. ZzzzZZZzzzzzZZZZzzzzzz

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Originally posted by Bedlam

You forgot the most difficult part: Sitting for days, weeks, months, years, and decades without hearing so much as a tsss on your radio. ZzzzZZZzzzzzZZZZzzzzzz

That's pretty much all you WOULD hear. Tssss.

You'd hear a lot of local emissions, though, if you could muster up a decent receiver. Hard to sort through them.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomoSapiensSapiens

Get yourseft a allsky camera and find meteor more fun
www.abovetopsecret.com...

youtu.be...

Or maybe you will get lucky and get a few UFO

edit on 30-4-2013 by Trillium because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Absolutely you can. You just need to break free from the traditional definition of 'signal', which has been something like radio wave of some amplitude and duration that is distinguishable from background noise. So say we detect something. How can we verify the signal is from ET intelligence when we don't speak their language? Scientists from SETI know even a strong signal means just that and in no way evidence of intelligence. Of course they would want funding to 'translate' the signal... It's a dead end.

The 'signal' imo will be something visual. Think Nazca lines made by aliens or cities visible from orbit. Found on some planet or asteroid. So my advice is search reconnaissance photos of plantery bodies. If and big if here, the Aliens wanted to communicate some info to visitors from outer space, they would likely use something visual, visible from space. Pictures are as close to universal language as it can get. The people that made Nazca lines seems to have understood this.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Here is a simple rule of thumb. If you have time to search for aliens on your home computer, you have too much time in general.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
To everyone here , if you want to contact aliens , google 'Ce-5 human initiated contact Dr Steven Greer' and please watch Sirius 2013 Documentary by Dr. Steven Greer and happy encounters.

new topics

top topics

join