It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dog hair for birds nests.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Every spring when brushing out my long haired GSD,I put the hair on my hedges,and loads of little birds make off with it.
Sometimes I will find old nests made of loads of his hair,which I think is a really cool bit of recycling by the birds.
I managed to catch one bird on camera,a blue tit,grabbing a few tufts.
Vid isn't the greatest quality,as it was using crop mode,for a bit of extra zoomability,but check it out anyhow:

Thanks for looking folks!

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
LOL I thought I was the only one that did this. Except I do it with my own hair. Every few weeks I pick hair out of my hair brush when it builds up really thick and drop it out the window.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
That is SO very cool! I have 2 long-haired GSDs (and two other dogs) and the birds around here benefit regularly from all the hair they produce.

Your dog is beautiful! I can get a glimpse of Jaia in his later years. Just precious!

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
How cool.
Both my babies are short haired, but I do brush them outside. I instead take short pieces of scrap yarn, put them in a plastic bag with holes in it and tie it to a tree. Found a lovely nest last year, in an old gourd. Very colorful.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Thanks!
So is the one in your Avatar!
Regal looking indeed.
But wow they certainly take some brushing don't they?

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Yeah... Lots of brushing...

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Thats great. I had 2 jack russell terriers which molted all year round!. And i used to brush them outside and do the same. Tell you what i could have made a coat for myself with all the hairs that i used to get

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Yeah... Lots of brushing...

I know that picture well...

I have also got a couple of bags saved up-I have always wanted to try to spin it into a yarn,and get someone to knit me a hat or waistcoat out of it.
One day I shall try.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
This is great!!!
I have found a page on how to make Dog Yarn!
Not only that,it tells me that the Indigenous folks of North America used to do this way back before the Spainiards introduced Sheep for the wool...I never knew that,nor that the yarn of a dog is up to 80% warmer than sheep wool!!

And finally,the page states that you need dog hair of at least 2inches in length to make workable yarn-so I measured some from my Bud,and he makes the grade at mostly over 2.5inches!

www.wikihow.com...

I am getting right on this,I have already found the parts to make a spindle,and I reckon I can also make the brushes for aligning the hairs prior to spinning.
Cleaning seems easy enough as well.
I am actually quite peeved that I have given so much of the sheddings to the birds now-I could have had a suit,hat,blankets etc If I had pursued this earlier(and i have thought about it years back,just never looked into it).
Oh well,I am on it from now on,and shall make a thread when it all starts happening.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Please do.
You've just given me a great excuse to add another dog to the family.
Hubby is not going to be happy.

And, a guy I work withs wife actually spins her own from their Alpaca's and teaches a class!

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I do that with my cat's hair after a good grooming session. Great that you made a thread on this so others might do the same for our feathered friends.

top topics

join