It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraqis Challenge Bush to Do Better Than Saddam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 10:18 AM
link   

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Iraqis challenged re-elected President Bush on Thursday to bring them the elusive new dawn he promised when U.S. forces deposed Saddam Hussein.

"Bush talks about freedom and democracy but all the Americans have brought is death and destruction. Where's our electricity? Where's our oil money?" asked Abu Ghazwan, a greengrocer in southwestern Baghdad.

"Bush got rid of Saddam, the madman behind the mass graves, the wars and the huge debts. Now let him do better. Bush wants to play occupier, then let him improve security."

www.reuters.com.../GetContent§ion=news

It's time to put up or shut up for Bush. He's taken out their evil dictator, but the country is still in total chaos. Time to make good on his promise to bring peace. Anyone feel he can do it? I sure don't

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Day by day i feel this war is turning away from helping the Iraqi people and becomming more of an event to make America feel good about themselves

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Of course! It was never meant to help Iraqis in the first place. Is it any wonder that it's not helping them? It was only meant to make Americans feel like they're doing something about the 9/11 attack.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 11:41 AM
link   
the day bush can bring peace to Iraq is the day
that i become richer then bill gates

how can you bring peace to a nation with force?

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Fair question..

I think a good start would be for the insurgents who claim to be "fighting for iraq" to stop shooting and blowing up their own counterparts at police academies and security installations. The point is to train more and more Iraqi citizens and have them assume more control of the situation. It is impossible to hand over control to Iraqi men when those men are being picked off like sitting ducks by "fellow citizens".

I don't care if you like Bush and his policies. This problem will not be solved by any President without the cooperation of the Iraqi population as well. They challenge Bush to do a good job? I challenge them to allow their brothers to safely grow and gain control.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
the day bush can bring peace to Iraq is the day
that i become richer then bill gates

Simple you can't. Killing and hate causes more killing and more hate causing more killing and more hate causing more killing and more hate....etc etc it the vicous circle of violence. War can only bring subjigation not peace. How many decades did it take for Europe to recover from 2 World Wars? Alot how long will it take Iraq to recover from both Saddam and Bush probably never because Bush getting re-elected will mark the start of the Civil War about to unfold in iraq.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   

I don't care if you like Bush and his policies. This problem will not be solved by any President without the cooperation of the Iraqi population as well. They challenge Bush to do a good job? I challenge them to allow their brothers to safely grow and gain control.

Ok, so let's put it into perspective. You were just invaded (or liberated, whatever you wanna call it
) and now you are in the "rebuilding" phase. How cooperative would you be with an occupying force, that you never asked to be there in the first place?

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 01:13 PM
link   

How cooperative would you be with an occupying force, that you never asked to be there in the first place?

There's nothing that can be done about that. You and I might not be happy that it's going on, but that doesn't change the fact that is. The question we need to ask ourselves is how can we better the situation, not erase it. Abandoning it would do nothing. My belief is that to fix this situation and for things to get better we have to get the Iraqis involved in governing and policing. Unfortunately it becomes difficult to get Iraqi policemen to apply for the job when there are insurgents blowing up the police academy. That's the cooperation I was talking about. If that were to stop, it would be easier to get Iraqis involved.

Your position is a nice one and in a perfect world it would be great. Unfortunately the feelings are completely irrelevent now because what you're talking about already happened. We're already there, period. Now let's try to figure out how to leave in an orderly fashion instead of saying we shouldn't have been there in the first place. We can't change the past.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   
If we really want to do that, we might as well just install our own police forces there. Isn't that what we want to do for them anyway? Police their country?
While we're at it, we might as well install police forces in every other country, being how we're so good at it.

new topics

top topics

join