It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Family of 5 Shot Dead in Manchester, IL. (3daysago)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I saw this when it was breaking news, but decided not to post figuring somebody else would cover it. After doing a quick search, I couldn't find a thread discussing it.
(Mods: If this was already posted, kindly delete.)

Illinois mayor's nephew kills 5, dies after firefight

The nephew of a small Illinois town's mayor killed five people, including two children, in an apartment before dawn Wednesday and died hours later after a high-speed chase and shootout with police, officials said.

I personally have seen little coverage on this story, and am surprised it hasn't already been posted here on ATS. Which is interesting, especially with all the talk of the media and their 'sensationalism' towards gun violence. Perhaps, due to the Bombings. Who knows.

The Chicago Tribune reported that the victims were a grandmother, a young couple and their two small children. A 6-year-old girl was seriously wounded, Illinois State Police Lt. Todd Kilby told reporters. After shooting the others at close range, the gunman "took the 6-year-old out of the residence and put her in the hands of a neighbor," he said.

Source

Officials have yet to release a motive in the shooting.
The suspect was later identified as Rick Odell Smith.

Police also still are investigating a motive, though neighbors have said Smith was involved in a custody battle with Sinclair's daughter over their 4-year-old child. Neither were at the home at the time of the shooting.

Link

So apparently this guy was armed with a small arsenal. Including a scoped hunting rifle, carbine rifle, shotgun, and a machete. Which makes me wonder, if authorities hadn't stopped him, could we be reading about another 'public' shooting massacre? Rather than an isolated event? It seems people are at the end of their rope, and "making headlines" with your last stand, is seemingly the new trend now a' days.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
So, this guy grows a conscious, some where.... saves the 6 year old, but decides to kill the other two children? Totally curious about his motive.
edit on 27-4-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

As am I.
One of the articles goes on to say that she wasn't even targeted. That her injuries were sustained from stray shotgun pellets. Strange. Also, she was 'placed in the hands of a neighbor'. Which might imply the suspect had no fear of being caught.

What's sad is that she'll probably end up recalling this for the rest of her life.

edit on 27-4-2013 by iunlimited491 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Why would this story get any attention?

It only shows that the average American is capable of just as much or much worse than any Muslim terrorist.

Your supposed to fear MUSLIMS not all-American children of politicians....

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Very disturbing.
Thanks for posting.
The notion that this kind of "last stand" is getting to be a meme, is not out of the realm.
When times were better,i dont think it was as frequent.
Though i am sure some ignorance denyer will show up with stats soon.....

It would be a fascinating comparison to see if perhaps the news media is sensationalising an actually falling trend....no?
However, the fact remains that desperate people will take desperate measures, and some may crack under the strain....what that % is, i dont know, but bet there is a predictable one.
It stands to reason then, that the more desperate the situation people face,
The more desperate, and radical the measures are they may take....???
Work with me here....is this not a simple guage?could we not work out some predictive maths based on this premise?
This couldbe cross scaled from mild irritation right up to suicide bombing...
The predictor would be a guide to what the possible social behavior will be under certain stressors.
Of course individuals would still not be predictable unless they are examined in such detail as to be classified.
Perhaps this information lust by the Intelligence agencies could lead to very strict, and very individually oriented control in future?
put that in yer pipe

edit on 27-4-2013 by stirling because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join