It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Introducing "Bibleman"! And a host of other kid-oriented indoctrination tools

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Hah, you beat me to it.
Yes, we had those little sets. Looking back, I think it was wrong. What the white immigrants did to the Indians was awful, and war is wrong.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

But how do you balance between raising kids to think for themselves and instilling the values you believe in? At some point, you're gonna end up telling them how they should feel instead of letting them decide for themselves - just like the Bible.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   

This is the first I've heard of Bibleman. Thanks. S&F.

I guess I'll interpret it as Christianity giving the thumbs up to the entire superhero mythos.

edit on 24-4-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   

But how do you balance between raising kids to think for themselves and instilling the values you believe in? At some point, you're gonna end up telling them how they should feel instead of letting them decide for themselves - just like the Bible.

Nice try, but no.
I never told my kids "how they should feel". Instead, I named for them their emotions: You are frustrated. You are angry. You are sad. You are jealous.

Far too many people don't know how to identify and deal with their emotions, let alone name them.

Teaching them to "Think for themselves" comes from listening to their questions and answering them with respect, and exposing them to ALL SIDES of an issue. It comes from discussing morality and society.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
But how do you balance between raising kids to think for themselves and instilling the values you believe in?

It IS a balance. You can teach values and morals without bringing in fantasy to back it up. Instead of telling them to be kind to our neighbors because Jesus said so, I think a much more lasting and meaningful thing to instill in them would be to think of how they'd like to be treated and treat others accordingly. That way, it's something they can actually THINK about (how they want to be treated - how their actions affect other people, etc.) instead of being told to do it because someone said so. (and before someone mentions it, The Golden Rule has been around long before Christianity.)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by BlueMule

I had never heard of him either, BlueMule.

And there's SO MUCH MORE going on that I just learned about. It will all be posted, eventually....

Again, to those trying to vilify and condemn my concerns about this, it goes to brain-training and early indoctrination.

"Give me child up to the age of seven, and I will give you the man." Supposedly a Jesuit statement.

Here's a book related to brain-training and that notion:
Give Me A Child Until He is 7; Brain Studies And Early Childhood Education

edit on 24-4-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by windword

Heya,
thanks for the vids!!
Really shows how it is very well.

Did you know about this stuff before? My kids are grown now, and I've no grandkids, so my "toy monitoring" had been put on "pause"..... well, it's on "view" again, now!

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

No, I've never heard of "Bibleman" before your post today. But I am surprised at the outdated special effects. It's really bad, acting, scripting, costumes, special effects, all of it is so old fashion! I felt like I was back in the '70's when I watched it! It reminds me of the original "Batman" series, only even more cheesy.

I have been, however, aware of the Christian right's attack on Sesame Street, Tellatubbies and other PBS children's education programming, so this backlash that they've concocted doesn't really surprise me.

link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Thanks, BH. Yes, there is an entire industry of indoctrination underway.

One has to wonder what the Muslims think about it. As I understand it, they would NEVER allow such a thing...but if this gets big enough, and Bibleman is actively "slaying" Muslims....
well, wow.

All I can think is, "Wow. Did you all really think this through to ALL of it's potential outcomes?"

link   

Would it be just as acceptable if we posted all the different types of homosexuals from the rainbow boys to the pedos, and mocked them for fun? Just askin!

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Turkenstein

When did I say it was "acceptable"? I don't think it is.

Yes, I'm "mocking" this because it's ludicrous and dangerous. These kids will be running the country in 20 years or so.
Think about it.

We need to teach tolerance, acceptance, and freedom of religion. That does NOT include vilifying - villainizing and condemning - others who are not "Bible pushers", which is what this scheme is about.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   

This should not be in a religion forum, it should be in a anti-religious forum. Could ATS please create a "anti-religious" forum to keep a lot of us from being hijacked by this type of thread?

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

When did I say it was "acceptable"? I don't think it is.

You authored it baby girl, not me. When you use words like "indoctrination", it is obvious what the direction/intent of your thread is.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   

How are you being hijacked by this thread? Do you think all religious commentaries should positively reflect religion and religious doctrines on ATS?

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

How is this "hijacking" anything? This is not "The Christian Forum", Turkenstein. It's open to ALL forms of religion, faith, and theology and discussion about them. If you want a safe nonconfrontational Christians-Only forum, there are plenty out there on the web.

This site is about exploring all sides of ideas. If you're not comfortable here, then you don't have to "get on board." You are free to protest it, but not to "get rid of us" or keep us out of the conversation.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Don't call me "baby girl," thank you very much. My father died in 2010, and my mother went with me to this conference where we learned about Bibleman. I am her "baby girl", and my dad's. Be respectful.
Yes, I authored it -- to reveal it to ATS. That's why we are here. To explore what's going on in the world, deconstruct it, and add it to our knowledge banks.

Would you have liked it better if I'd said, "WOOT! YAY! This is the right way to do things! The Bible is the only Truth and everyone else is going to hell!!"

Well, I don't think it is, and I'm entitled to my opinion about it. I asked for thoughts, and you've stated yours. Thanks for contributing your opinion.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   

I want to thank-you for bringing these Bibleman action toys to my attention,
they will be on my shopping list for my grandchildren.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

You're welcome.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

When you use words like "indoctrination", it is obvious what the direction/intent of your thread is.

It is BLATANT indoctrination.

in·doc·tri·nate (n-dktr-nt)
tr.v. in·doc·tri·nat·ed, in·doc·tri·nat·ing, in·doc·tri·nates
1. To instruct in a body of doctrine or principles.
2. To imbue with a partisan or ideological point of view: a generation of children who had been indoctrinated against the values of their parents.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   

I had never heard of Bibleman and the sword of spirit, plate of righteousness and helmet of salvation is hilarous

One has to wonder what the Muslims
think about it. As I understand it, they
would NEVER allow such a thing...but if
this gets big enough, and Bibleman is
actively "slaying" Muslims....
well, wow. All I can think is, "Wow. Did you all
really think this through to ALL of it's
potential outcomes?"

i however don't mind if it teaches good values.
Hope it does not advocate 'slaying' muslims by bringing a limited edition 'Crusader' model

or Muslims have to launch 'Saladin The Superhero' model!!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join