It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lest We Forget ...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
War is a solution to over population,scientific advancements and the greatest flaw in human nature these facts clearly delineate what war is "good" for. We all do it so you'd better be good.
Custer was a F##king over promoted butterbar who's ego got him
.killed because he didn't listen to his scouts and belittled our aboriginal warriors at the close of the ethnic cleansing,often called "Manifest Destiny"
I am a vet of the 7th Cav from Desert Storm.
I NEVER slam my allies militarily just individuals logically we have seen some doozies whowant to become Chinese aparently.
Sorry about the intrusion of our forces as we pivot to confront China but as usual they didn't ask me.
I would love to toss down a few pints with you folks but I'm far too poor and now too sick to get there.

Thank ALMIGHTY GOD we have such great people who have been so generous with their treasure and blood to stand by us even though we have been corrupted from the inside.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by cavtrooper7

You have nothing to apologise for good Sir.

You are with our Diggers in spirit, that's what counts.
Did you happen to come across any Aussies in Iraq?

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Timely

We were on the berms so we were next to syrians (who actually captured one of our tracks SF guys had to get it back) so no sir I was in the front of the 18th airborne corps in 1st Cav as reserve until we ran a few cav raids and then pushed to about 60 miles east of Basra. Chemical alarms blaring all the time ...we knew what to do did it and George Sr. let Gen Norman do his thing,which is why victory was so quick.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Stormin' Norman seemed a straight up kind of guy.
None the less you must have been very on edge with the threat of chemical weaponry.

The enemy you can not see, yet are constantly aware of ( IED's included ) must take a toll.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Thankyou , to all the war veterans .
A special thanks to Vietnam veterans.
1%

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Timely

I have COPD now it killed my military life because my lungs got screwed up and I started getting forgetful.Scouts require an A1 health rating so no joy. Then I had to learn to work with...civilians. I have since 03 then got too sick to work now I have been given a great chance to go to art school and am now locked in brain to brain combat.
Maya is very hard to a non computer artist like me.
But I will win ...again.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Indeed you will win. More power to you.

I hope you have the support you rightly deserve.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by cody599
reply to post by Guenter

So you're saying we sit idly by and allow genocide to happen ?
Or do we go in and put a stop to it ?

Unfortunately that requires our armed forces and war,

Cody

I think the point he is makeing is that if world war I had not happend there would have been no world war 2.

World war 1 has no have been the most pointless war in history. It was litrally a war for the sake of haveing a war.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Timely

Hello Timely, ATS Readers, Writers,

I was going to write something for ANZAC Day myself, it got late, and I crashed out. GLAD you did! S&F!

I wanted to provide a bit of a story about a Aussie man who won the Distinguished Conduct Medal at the First Battle of Bullecourt in April 1917, a murderous battle that pitched unsupported infantry into the impregnable line of German defence known as the Hindenburg Line.

The source encourages spreading their info as long as you provide a link to the source. So here it is.

LEST WE FORGET

In the first part of the linked article, it gives the story of how and why he was awarded this medal. BRAVE man!

But later in the article, and whilst he served during the Second World War, he initiated an attack on a island which he thought was enemy held territory, but turned out to be uninhabited. For this action, he got drummed out of the Australian Army.

He wrote a farewell letter to his men before heading home to Oz. Here it is:

The war marches to its end. Soon you will enter as recruits into civil life, which many of you left as boys. Do not imagine it will be easy. Here you have learnt to rely on and trust your comrades. If you carry that trust and good faith blindly back to civil life you will find, as we did after the last war, that hordes of parasites will be waiting to cheat and chisel you out of what little you have.

You will find that when you return a large body of people regards you as fools for risking your life overseas, for not being clever enough to malinger out of active service. Do not let this embitter you, but rather make it strengthen your determination to fight the better. For when the war with Japan is over, the fight for Australia will be but beginning.

The profiteering and corruption you will find in high and low places will disgust you. Do not take the weak way of turning aside. You owe it to your comrades, the living and the dead, to carry on. You owe it to Australia to play your peacetime role as well as your wartime task.

It is the duty of each one of us to fight for honesty and decency, for good government, for the dignity of man, and the right of the children of grow up in a healthier, happier and wiser Australia...

All life is a fight, to keep on in peace as now, with zest and determination to reach the objective. Our objective is the well being of Australia, but the way is full of traps and pitfalls, the climb will be steep, long and hard. The march will demand a more enduring courage than any battlefield.

So I wish you the success you have earned, and good fortune in the fighting both of this war and of the peace to come

This letter is prophetic, and foretells the future of the world, and gives more sage advice than many things I have read.

All you have to do is replace the word Australia with the USA, to perfectly describe what happened in my old country, and the people have lost the "war" there.

Of course he was referring to my NEW country, Australia, which I LOVE dearly.

I come from a land that was once considered Paradise by many; and have graciously been allowed into a NEW Paradise for me. And it TRULY is a paradise.

So my life story is like Paradise lost, a new Paradise found.... BUT can we keep it mate? !!

The story of the Kokoda Trail and the Choco's would bring a tear to any sane mans eye. But the world and Australia faces new economic threats, and another world war seems ready to crash the gates soon.

It is his farewell letter that describes the toughest battle mankind faces today.

I have high hopes for Australia as a country, it is perched in a great opportunity to become one of the greatest nations in world history if Oz doesn't lose sight of what's right and what is wrong.

I pray that Australia is able to make all the proper and right moves in the future to fulfil it's grand destiny.

It could feed the world if properly managed, for one example. It has SO MUCH going for it, by being able to see what has failed in other lands, and work from a hindsight perspective.

I so wish I could have come to Australia at a much younger age. Such a wonderful place to live!

Pravdaseeker

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by pravdaseeker

Thank You for your insightful and enthusiastic contribution.

There is a myriad of war related stories of extraordinary deeds and heroic acts by Australian troops
the world over. I enjoyed your link to this particular one.

The story of Villers-Bretonneux is another I am sure you would find uplifting.

Here

The future of this great country is indeed in the hands of us its people.
We can not let the hard work done by our troops, in securing us a safe and prosperous future, be forgotten
or neglected.

I am glad you have decided to make Australia your home, you have the right attitude to make a difference.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Timely

Hello Timely, ATS Readers, Writers,

A sad but very uplifting story in the same text. Thanks for the link.

It should be noted before the thread of posts run cold; that it WAS AUSTRALIAN TROOPS who showed the world that the WW2 Japanese forces were NOT undefeatable! So many thought them to be supermen of sorts.

It was at the far eastern end of Papua New Guinea that OZ forces sent a sea landing assault back into the sea.
If the Japanese had succeeded in this landing, the fall of Port Moresby most assuredly would have happened.

At Gallipoli the poor diggers got tossed into the mosh pit, while just down the beach the Brit wankers were having tea.

In WW2 the poor Aussie blokes were sacrificed in Singapore to supposedly SLOW DOWN the Japanese forces advancements. The Brits lost 2 capital warships in less than an hour, and the rest is history, one of the worst defeats in history. These Aussie prisoners were the ones that built the Bridge over the River Kwai. And way too many of them NEVER returned home.

I personally wonder just how MORE great and grand Australia could have become by now, IF these poor blokes hadn't been sacrificed to slow down the inevitable Japanese advances. NEVER AGAIN MATE! Never again!

A fair fight, a righteous fight is one thing; but to be given the stinky end of the stick is BS, NEVER AGAIN.

If Australia, GOD FORBID, were ever to be invaded, even MY old crusty butt would die fighting for good ol OZ, if the generals would just give me a rifle to fight with.

Don't tell my old Yank friends, but Australia IS the GREATEST country in the world. No where else (except Russia) can you go to a mountain top and view VAST expanses and KNOW for sure, there is not a soul living there, nor hardly a dirt track road, nor a village, just PURE wilderness. As far as the eye can see! AND Oz is preserving these treasures like no other nation has ever done. Good on em!!

So much of the world today seems hell bent on another grand world war. So many of our forefathers died in foreign lands to supposedly stop this sort of insanity. Yet some nations most assuredly never learned the lessons and folly of war.

I have ONE precious grandson here in OZ, a very handsome, smart young lad. And I would much rather it be me, than him, to ever have to face a terrible conflict. Or better yet, put members of the governments who bring these conflicts to bear, and MAKE THEM fight it out.. leave the poor peasants be, and allow them a normal life.

Stories like these in this thread, or referenced to in this thread need to be taught to the up and coming future leaders of the world. They (elite) sit in their palaces, and/or their underground shelters whilst the poor peasants fight a squabble that they started.

I see things to the north of this great southern land brewing into a fast approaching hell storm.

I say NEVER again should Oz lads be wasted or tossed into an unwinnable situation, as they were in the past conflicts! To die protecting Australia from invasion is one thing, but to be told to surrender to slow down Japanese forces so the high and mighty Brits can get their arses kicked the following week is bullS**T. NEVER AGAIN MATE!

I pray to God that Australia is spared, or only slightly affected by what so many other nations seem so hellbent on creating, namely another world war.

Oz is a pristine and precious place, it needs to STAY that way.

Pravdaseeker

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Last year for ANZAC Day on ABC radio, they were interview returned servicemen.

One story touched me greatly, thou I cannot remember now if it was during the recent Afghan campaigns or back in Vietnam....guarantee it was one of the two.

Hopefully someone else rememnbers and can add to this post.

whats troubles me is that this story never got the huge publicity it deserved.

basically, there was a brigade/platoon etc of aussie troops.

they were pinned down in a firefight. and running out of ammo.

in desperate times as this, common sense sometimed goes out the window, and one Big Aussie soldier (and I remember the bloke interviewed clearly described this guy as built ,like a brick #house and over 6ft tall), sprung up from his position with a machine gun and ran into the c,learing that was between the pinned Aussie troops and the enemy.

This guyu caight the enemy by siurprise, with his bravery, his size and his ferocity.

he supposedly took every one of them out,I beleive it was about 8 single handedly.

to the shock and disbeleif of his fellow diggers.

and at that moment, when he's thinking he just took em all out and it started to sink into himself what he had just done and to his fellow diggers, a sniper took him out from the tree tops which the remaining diggers nuetralised.

what a damn bloody shame, that such a heroic and brave incident ended in the one sole remaining bullet.

this is the stuff movies are made off.

I beleive be did receive a medal post his death.

But for the life of me I cannot remember the exact particulars of the incident.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Melbourne_Militia

That does ring a bell. Can't think of what though.
ED: it does sound a bit like our current VC holder.? ( minus the sniper ... duh! lol.)

If you have not already had a look, there has been some very well communicated stories mentioned.

Stories as told by Diggers, in the moment, yet maintaining some amazing literary skills amongst the
sh!tstorm they were in the middle of ! .... Legends !

Any one with legendary - relevant - re-counts of defining moments in history, feel free to add.

edit on 28-4-2013 by Timely because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Army of One - (excellent documentary link)

Has anyone seen this documentary.? Some people were looking for this for a while. It is also titled "bring me up, break me down"

hotdocslibrary.ca...

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by konchok

Will check it out mate, the intro sounds interesting.

Oh and welcome to ATS, I gave you your first star.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by cody599

So you're saying we sit idly by and allow genocide to happen ? Or do we go in and put a stop to it ?

Are you talking about the UN peace keepers or National Militaries?
No national militaries roles is to play global copper any more than they are to play imperial warmongers/conquers, although the US (increasingly commonwealth nations also)certainly seem to think it is. Only because of a CFR backed and controlled by ziobots.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   

War is a solution to over population,scientific advancements and the greatest flaw in human nature these facts clearly delineate what war is "good" for

Unless it is you or your family or close buddy on the casualty list right, all gooks and commies are kapow right!
I see some big double standards in your attitude.This has nothing to do with why ANZAC veterans remember Anzac day the key word is REMEMBER not GLORIFY military(warmongers like you claim thus)

the greatest flaw in human nature these facts clearly delineate what war is "good"

What is the greatest flaw in human nature? tell me id really like to know!

edit on 30-4-2013 by Theprimordialocker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
What can you forget or what can you remember? How old are most of us reading these posts? What is seen and heard in you life time is what is. I have issues with those who want to rewrite history and think becuase this is 2013 we know better than to comit the mistakes of those who lived before us. The technology is advance but the humanism is the same. Dou you want to give a gun to your three year old? This dude is watching the new world oreder come to existance.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Timely

I raise my glass to them that have fallen in all wars. to the fallen there is no victor , to the victor there is sorrow, to the conquered, there is only death.

The problem is we have forgotten what a just war is , ww1 ww2, from the FUBAR wars that we see or have seen now Korea Vietnam Iraq Afghanistan, they are the wars that give black eye to all, and no real answers to no one, made and left victims on all fronts and on all accounts.

Syria, North Korea, Iran, Pakistan. are all new places that we know so little about, but we know them so well, form not only the threat of wars but by acts towards war, is there or can there be a Just war? [for the lack of a better term , Just war , a war that has a reason... to defend the helpless, the ones not willing to kill but are held captive or slowly put to death, by an other ones hand through, belief, act, and or thought.

How quick we are to go to war over lies, but slow to act over ones death, and how many should die before we act? who are we to say this war is just and that one not? war is hell that is a given, but to sit and watch more innocent die, that is a worse hell yet.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by bekod

Yes, the horrors of war are just a mosaic of history, for most living today. Even modern warfare is seen as little more than infotainment - to those who have not been touched by its horrors. ( Iraq being the first live to air war )

More energy needs to be funnelled to anti, rather than pro war rhetoric.

We do not need to re-live the horrors.

Lest we forget...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join