It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fake AP tweet reveals nation on edge over terror

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   

redtape.nbcne ws.com

A stock market and a nation already on edge was temporarily knocked off its axis on Tuesday by a single fake tweet.
Following a hack attack, the Associated Press' verified Twitter account posted "an erroneous tweet" claiming that two explosions occurred in the White House and that President Barack Obama is injured.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nbcnews.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Syrian Electronic Army claims credit for CBS Twitter accounts hack

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Welp,
It looks like the S.E.A. (SyrianElectronicArmy) is at it again! Coming just days after the same group claimed responsibility for the hacking of several CBS twitter accounts, the S.E.A. is now taking responsibility for hacking the Twitter account of the AssociatedPress', and sending out one tweet that sent shock-waves through the public, as well as the financial markets.

On Tuesday, the Syrian Electronic Army claimed credit for hacking the Associated Press' verified Twitter account, which it used to issue a short-lived but potentially disastrous tweet, falsely reporting two explosions at the White House and injury to the president. Though the fraud was quickly exposed, the tweet caused a sudden 140-point dip in the Dow Industrial Average.

So, I guess the tweet was immediately erased, a part from appearing in over 4,000 re-tweets.

It seems the collective U.S. is feeling a little vulnerable right now. People are on the edge of their seats, ready for anything to happen, at anytime. A potentially 'dangerous line' to be walking, that's for sure. As I don't think we want people hitting the panic button just yet.

But a single Tweet sinking the market? It's just the latest sign that lies now spread on the Internet as fast as computer viruses, and can have just as much impact... Twitter's surge to mainstream popularity — it now boasts 140 million U.S. accounts — has made it an incredible source of on-the-spot information, but also the world's most powerful rumor-mongering tool.

It's incredible what a single 12-word lie can do.

redtape.nbcne ws.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 24-4-2013 by iunlimited491 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Do you think that this originates from Syria or do you think some other organisation could have done it and owned up to it under a different name?. This would seem to put Syria in a bad light, whilst also giving a reason for paranoia within America.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by iunlimited491

What it reveals is a stock market that would crash and burn if someone tweeted that Big Bird ended up in the local KFC, lol.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by iunlimited491

Welp,
It looks like the S.E.A. (SyrianElectronicArmy) is at it again! Coming just days after the same group claimed responsibility for the hacking of several CBS twitter accounts, the S.E.A. is now taking responsibility for hacking the Twitter account of the AssociatedPress', and sending out one tweet that sent shock-waves through the public, as well as the financial markets.

S.E.A, I don't think so. Fake tweet,agreed. Non existing phatom menace.This is of no benifit to Syria. For God'S sake we all know the Obi Administration want's all in.Cut the crap.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by lewman

That's a good question, and honestly I can't say.

Here's a link to their website:

www.syrianelectronicarmy.com/index.php?lang=en

It says that their main purpose is to fight against the Arab and Western media, for their campaign of lies, regarding the situation there. So they say it's 'legit', but I guess all hackers would say that, right? lol.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt
reply to post by iunlimited491

What it reveals is a stock market that would crash and burn if someone tweeted that Big Bird ended up in the local KFC, lol.

Lol. RT @AP_ "BREAKINGNEWS: UNCONFIRMED reports of big yellow bird found dead in rear of KFC store. Police aren't releasing any information at this time. Area has been seeled off."

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
It's awfully convenient that these stories break and issues like this are sensationalized when the CISPA is being pushed on congress. Seems to fit the narration pretty well doesn't it?

Oh noes! My twitter account was hacked by Syrians and it is causing mass panic in the financial sector!! I need the federal government to help rectify the problem!! Here is all of my information, do whatever you need to do with it and give it to whoever you want as long as my Twitter is safe and so is the US!

Even more convenient when you examine our current situation with Syria. The Syrian Electronic Army are huge supporters of Bashar Assad and they're claiming credit for this. Good way to breed distrust and hate from the US population.. Good way to garner support for our involvement.
edit on 24-4-2013 by ZiggyMojo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ZiggyMojo

Haha.

That's a good observation. I wasn't even thinking about CISPA. The timing would be convenient, though.

Also, I too thought the headline was a little sensationalized. Lol. but I think some people bought the tweet because it was from the AP, a verified Twitter account. I guess that's understandable.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Look to WHO bought the most Stocks.
some ones making money.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by buddha

Hmm, you never know I guess. Lol. :

But I've just learned of an ongoing thread, already discussing this topic:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

That thread was posted prior to the new information of the S.E.A.'s involvement.
If you'd like, you can post any thoughts you may have there.

(MODS: IF YOU SEE THIS, FEEL FREE TO DELETE THREAD.)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Please add any comments to the existing thread found here...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thread closed.

top topics

join