It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

whats happend to ATS?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
few things I noticed which have been bugging me
well two things

The search is rubbish (why did the admins get rid of advanced search?)
also the Hot Topics and Sticky Topics

why must you guys have entire section at the top dedicated to topics which are doing well with a sticky topics under them, such waste of space

I get that a few topics but it seems to bit a big blob at the top making it harder and more annoying to browse the rest of the topics

sorry about the rant

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
The new search engine is terrible. Then when it fails to give you correct results you get insults by members to use the search engine, lol. The site was once user friendly, I was just getting close to understanding how to navigate when everything changed, I figure there are a few really smart members who actually took time to study and learn how to use it to its fullest potential, but for most members, myself included it has just become more difficult and I use only the forum to read rather than contribute in any real fashion. Even changing an avatar or edit info has been difficult to do.
edit on 23-4-2013 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul

why must you guys have entire section at the top dedicated to topics which are doing well with a sticky topics under them, such waste of space

BIGGEST pet peeve of this site.

I only go to "Recent Posts" now, and browse.
That's it.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Agreed, the new search engine is terrible, even the fact that it feels your leaving ats when searching something. It just feels yuk.

I rather enjoyed the old search engine.

Edit: Indeed, i never use forums, only recent topics, also way more eye friendly then then those big bold titles in contrast'less? pages.
edit on 23-4-2013 by Senduko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I will agree with the new search feature. People complained about the last one but that one I never had problems with. This one is just bad.

I post a lot of my recipes here and I use to go to search and type in "mblah's" and a drop down would pop up with various recipes. It was soooo easy to find them! Now even if i type in say Mblah's bread it doesnt' come up! I use GOOGLE to find my recipes on ATS.

I know I can find them in my own profile but that takes forever scrolling down esp when i know which one I want. I want to make a thread that has links to all my recipes so when people ask I can just give them one link with them all.

edit on 4/23/2013 by mblahnikluver because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I can't figure out how to do an avatar and get it the right size so i don't have one

and...

I only go to "Recent Posts" now, and browse. That's it.

Recent Posts is my first stop too; maybe more people should do this so that there aren't multiple posts on the same hot topic.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Remember the old adage...."If it ain't broke; don't fix it"

"New and improved" isn't always "New and improved" as in the new search function.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I always use myATS for my subscribed threads and threads I've been part of.

I rarely use any of the others.

-SAP-

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatnext21
I can't figure out how to do an avatar and get it the right size so i don't have one

go here

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN

BIGGEST pet peeve of this site.

I only go to "Recent Posts" now, and browse.
That's it.

This is all i've ever done

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   

sorry about the rant

I prefer the term "feedback".

And your feedback is most definitely welcome.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Old search engine is here, for now, at least:

ask.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I guess I'm alone in thinking the new search is a positive step in the right direction? It sure didn't solve the problem but it's better, in my experience.. Of course, I use modifiers for searching and that makes a big difference. i.e.. Instead of typing "Wrabbit2000 guide presidents" I'll type "+wrabbit +guide +presidents -washington" for instance. So I get precisely what I want returned (far more often than I ever did on the old one) and not what I don't.

Still not perfect ...and a search form with boxes to automate boolean term use would be really nice for people who don't want to mess with the technical syntax of "search speak" but this one at least seems to work reliably with it.

* For not missing posts and things that cause duplicates, I REALLY wish people would use at least a segment of the headline in the right wording at some point ..at the very least, use a proper name or two that are unmistakably tied to the story ...and with the right spelling on them. It'd work wonders for getting hits on previously posted items.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
< snip >
then to search better than ATS has

go to google

type on search bar

site:www.abovetopsecret.com...

so to search through the tin foil nutters do

site:www.abovetopsecret.com... ufo

or

site:www.abovetopsecret.com... september 11

and enjoy a better targeted search than ATS has

edit on 4/23/13 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

I use myATS, for everything.

Try this link to myATS!

It's built in. It's nifty. You have to "Favorite" your specific forums you visit, but you can see and follow all the threads that you've commented in. (Once you post a comment it goes into your Subscribed Threads list.)

If you try it, you'll see how it's the "collect all" for all you're interested in.

edit on 4/23/13 by Druid42 because: spelling

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I'm of the same mind as you, better and more refined searches.

But true, not very person friendly.

However, if maybe they wrote up a "search parameter thread" explaining how to search, it'd help.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen
Old search engine is here, for now, at least:

ask.abovetopsecret.com...

OMG you made my day!! YAY!!!

I have bookmarked this and it's going on my favorites tool bar!

If I could star, applaud and flag you I would!

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
* For not missing posts and things that cause duplicates, I REALLY wish people would use at least a segment of the headline in the right wording at some point ..at the very least, use a proper name or two that are unmistakably tied to the story ...and with the right spelling on them. It'd work wonders for getting hits on previously posted items.

Agreed! Or they could just check the forum it goes in too, that always works!

When I want to post a story I find I always pick out the names or locations or something specific to that story to put into search. It comes up every time and has saved me from posting duplicate threads about a dozen times. Those who say they checked I guarantee didn't and if they did they put in their heading and nothing extra. It really takes less than a min to check the search and forums for a top story esp if it is something specific.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Yeah. That Search. It reminds me of the old days when your ISP powered your home page search. Those were bland, unorganized and difficult to use too.

I really think the old ATS search should return. At least the UI from it.

And by the way...switching from the darker pages at ATS to the "silver-ish" page of that "search"...causes eye seizures and brain melding.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Can't seem to post an image on here. I was sent here by a possible lunatic but don't care because I think I'm going to travel into the realm of the truly bizarre...or maybe not. We'll see. Warm hello and happy to be here.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join