It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4th Grade Science Quiz from Christian School... Ridiculous!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Best post on the thread!

I went to Christian school for 3 years and I never seen that bullcrap!

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
One aspect of this discussion which worries me a bit is that people are lumping all Christians into one basket.

The term Christians refers to those who follow Christ but the general basis of the discussion in reality boils down to those who are indoctrinated into extreme views. eg Fundamentalism.

There are many different 'Christian' religions around the world, the Roman Catholic being the largest. Christianity is not what Jesus was preaching. Religion is a much abused vehicle used to generate Faith. But whether that faith is a blind faith or a reasoned and intelligent Faith is the issue here. When you look at it closely Faith does not require religion at all! But that thought is anathema for many Christian organisations.

I once knew a fellow, highly educated, well placed in a professional business hierarchy and a proclaimed Creationist. We had many lively discussions about the nature of Faith and the evolution of the world. What it all boiled down to is that he believed, without a doubt, the 'stories to sustain a peoples hope in a time of great need' in the bible were authentically and unquestionably 100% true in every way shape and form and could not consider anything else outside of that because that is what his Religion told him. Blind faith! Did it harm him? I guess not. But from an educators opinion I felt sorry for him that he was not able to recognise he had lost his ability to rationalise and be critical and was just accepting what he was being spoon fed because someone told him so. He was not open to considering other points of view only in convincing others his view was the only view.

I once attended a lecture where a little old Catholic Nun who also held a doctorate degree in Astrophysics and was blown away. She proceeded to outline events in science fact and learning from the Big Bang Theory to our current stage of evolution alongside the Creation story in the Bible. She repeatedly stated how the story in the bible reflects the stages of the Universes evolution steps. She clearly pointed out that how could anyone believe the world was created in 6 days based on all the scientific fact and knowledge that we now possess? But that it can clearly be represented by 6 stages of development which took far greater time spans than those back then had any way of comprehending. Thus it had to be presented in a 'story form' for the people of the time to accept and understand.

Everything she presented was coupled with modern science facts and research. I wish I could remember her name but it was many years ago now. I thank her for that lecture because I was able to reconcile what I had been spoon fed myself for years with what I believed to be true. I discovered that Faith can coexist very happily alongside the science. Religion just gets in the way a lot of the time! But real Faith cannot just come from reading about something, it has to be experienced in a real way as well and it should be constantly challenged. Blind Faith does not allow for any of that to occur and that, in my opinion, is wrong.

Oh, and we can't assume all Christians are fundamentalists, nor can we assume all fundamentalists are Christians!

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snoopy1978
reply to post by benrl

Lmao no more crazy than public schools?! Re-read the test op posted. Dinosaurs and people living together like the Flinstones? The biblical behemoth was a brontosaurus? Lmao. I'd advice you to drop that jesuskoolaid asap.

You mean the flintstone wasn't a real family?

That's ridiculous.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by DOADOA

Originally posted by Snoopy1978
reply to post by benrl

Lmao no more crazy than public schools?! Re-read the test op posted. Dinosaurs and people living together like the Flinstones? The biblical behemoth was a brontosaurus? Lmao. I'd advice you to drop that jesuskoolaid asap.

You mean the flintstone wasn't a real family?

That's ridiculous.

According to scripture the flintstones is a true story

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by micmerci
There was a time that these 7 answers on a 4th grade science test would have received the same grade of 100%

1. The human body will asphyxiate at speeds in excess of 25mph.
2. The bumble bee cannot fly.
3. It is impossible for a man to fly, because he is heavier than air.
4. It is impossible for a ship made of iron to float, because iron is heavier than water.
5. When the first atomic bomb explodes, it will set off a chain reaction that will destroy the Earth.
6. The sun revolves around the Earth.
7. The stars are fixed in the firmament.

Exactly. Everyone seems to forget that most "science" of any time period is usually proven incorrect years later. The fact is that none of us have even the slightest clue how most things in the Universe work. The "I'm right because more people currently believe what I believe" attitude is quite annoying.

Believe what you want and let others do the same. Stop feigning outrage at the fact that Christian schools teach...(good heavens NO! it couldn't be)...Christian theory

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Wow, if this is authentic, something should be done. I am a Christian and believe in God, but that does not mean I throw common sense out the window. Any Christian who would buy something like this is not doing it right, plain and simple. And even though I think that children should be raised into the idea of God and moral behavior, I also think that science should be used to compliment these ideas. True and actual science. Too many believers in God think that science does not mesh with these ideas, and they would be wrong. The Bible is not all literal either, and Genesis' creation account is definitely not literal.

If it WERE literal, that would mean that it was false, that it was wrong. Plain and simple. And I agree that they are setting these kids up for failure in life. I think that there should be a healthy balance of religion and raising a child, but only if it is done the right way. This is not the right way. And I also believe there should be separation of church and state, which means education as well. There should be no Christian education system, or a system for any other religion that is meant to replace the educational system that children go through. There should be no private schools either, and the government needs to clean up the public school system.

There should not be teachers who do not know how to teach either. Too many fit this description, as so many people become teachers not to actually teach, but because it is relatively easy nowadays. It is a steady job that is always in demand. There are exceptions however, and some teachers truly love kids and want to teach them. A good teacher does NOT let their personal biases interfere with their teaching, and they must know how to check themselves at the door. They must check their biases at the door I mean. Kids are highly impressionable and they look up to older people, and those people should provide a moral example, and should not force their beliefs on the students.

So even though I am a Christian, I say leave religion out of the classroom altogether. And there is a government-mandated system for knowing what to teach, and it should be followed by all schools, even if they are private schools, even though private schools are undemocratic, but that is another argument. This story just makes me sick.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I don't know if scopes.com was covered here in this thread, anyway, here it is (again, maybe..):

www.snopes.com...

And the second page of the test, too:

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
just had to put this here

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
reply to post by micmerci

Thats the thing, science never claim to know everything, and it even knows it gets updated as new information is available.

But what science provides is better answers than what 2000 yr old horny men wrote.

You mean horny men like this one?:

Sir Julian Huxley, the late president of UNESCO and grandson of Darwin’s colleague Thomas Huxley, put an even finer point on the argument:

“I suppose the reason we leaped at the origin of species was because the idea of God interfered with our sexual mores,” he wrote.

And your post makes no sense. How can you say science provides better answers, when you first said it even knows it gets updated as new information is available? How can it provide better answers when it knows the current answers are always wrong?

edit on 26-4-2013 by jeramie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by jeramie

Um... no, current answers are not always wrong or 100% wrong, they are not absolute answer like the other group claims they have.

Just knowing what we have is the best answer can and also knowing it not absolute what makes people who use science more logical.

Heck, if science is wrong, why is car running on the road? why do surgery saves lives? air planes flying? computers works?

We don't know 100% why the air plane is flying but i'm we know 99% sure why it is flying.

To sum it up, Science is the only source that will answer the question close to what it is.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join