It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4th Grade Science Quiz from Christian School... Ridiculous!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Ok, so a friend of mine sent this to me from back home. He doesn't know the name of the school, but you can deduce that it was given out by a one-sided, religious zealot by merely looking at it:

This is just ridiculous! Do administrators, even ones at Christian schools, realize the damage that they are causing to children by teaching them such blatantly false knowledge? How is this acceptable, academically speaking; and how does this assist in preparing a student for future study? I firmly believe that ideologies that purport that all matter and existence was created in a week should not be taught in an accredited learning institution, Christian or not; it is a disservice to the students, the community, and the future of our civilization.

Sure, I can't prove that there is not a creator. Sure, there are flaws in science. But the facts of nature that have been proven observations are innumerable compared to the alternatives that exist to explain the same things, which primarily only rely on faith of a divine intervention making it so. My heart goes out to the children whom do not know any better.

Little can be said about the religious institutions that try to use variations of this quote by Neil DeGrasse Tyson to maintain their arguments, and on the surface it does seem contradictory; however, the difference is that observations of aspects of the world around us have been proven, whereas the words from the numerous "holy books" have not been proven.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Well no more or less crazy than the crap being pumped into their heads at Public school, you can tell that from the test scores at least.

Remember the article on kids being made to write "I will give up my freedom for safety" ?

Education needs massive reform all around.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
After countless threads of North Korea and the economic collapse, etc... , this is the one that makes me feel like this country is doomed.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
You guys are both so correct!! Smh

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Lmao no more crazy than public schools?! Re-read the test op posted. Dinosaurs and people living together like the Flinstones? The biblical behemoth was a brontosaurus? Lmao. I'd advice you to drop that jesuskoolaid asap.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snoopy1978
reply to post by benrl

Lmao no more crazy than public schools?! Re-read the test op posted. Dinosaurs and people living together like the Flinstones? The biblical behemoth was a brontosaurus? Lmao. I'd advice you to drop that jesuskoolaid asap.

I agree, and the reason Isaid benrl was cprrect is that there is somecrazy disinformation being taught all through the levels of education, especially in the history, economy, and psychology fields, IMO.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
What is this I don't even -

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snoopy1978
reply to post by benrl

Where did I say anything about religion science or what ever.

Frankly the Ill give up my liberty for safety is treasonous and more damaging than anything else, But I guess when you got an axe to grain against atheist and theist debate thats all you see.

I could care less what ideologies are being taught or false hoods, at this point its complaining about the type of poison your going to take.

MORE important is teaching children critical thinking so they can see through ALL BS not just the religious kind.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by apokalupsis33vital

Just for kicks.........

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by danneu89

So, 8 year old children being taught about dinosaurs from a religious perspective in a private school is something to worry about?

I am more worried about too many other things to list before this.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Hilarious!!

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
This is a 4th grade quiz, for a person that's what 7, 8 yrs old. Parents are probably paying tuition. It's good to see the student got 100%, at least we know they're mind is working right. NDT's quote at the end of your post is nice prose, but even he would have to admit, it's wrong. And if you brought it to his attention, I'm sure he be happy to correct himself. Tell me, how much stuff that you were taught when you were a 4th grader, is now wrong, and scientifically proven so. A quiz test's if your paying attention. 100% on a quiz? Good Job kid. Keep it up

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by micmerci
reply to post by danneu89

So, 8 year old children being taught about dinosaurs from a religious perspective in a private school is something to worry about?

I am more worried about too many other things to list before this.

Um, did you not notice the questions on the age of the Earth? If there was a quiz, there were definitely discussions and lessons before hand. My head hurts just thinking about the possibility of one of those children questioning the teacher about this stuff and getting shot down, and probably embarrassed. Smh

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
THIS... is insane. Deeply worrying and a near perfect example of a perversion of teaching.

Welcome to the medieval ages, folks!

Man, if the school of my children would start teaching creationism, I would seriously consider bringing a hammer of science to bash the insanity out!

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

In the grand scheme of things, does it really matter how old a person believes the age of Earth is? I think mountains are being made out of mole hills. People have religious beliefs that they are willing to pay to have their own children taught in order to pass them on. Are there religious extremists in this world? YES. Are they dangerous? YES. Is every religious person an extremist? No.

If they are paying for this private schooling, then they should be entitled to educate as they see fit. Even though this is polar opposite to scientific teaching, it is part of religious freedom that we enjoy in this country.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by CarbonBase
Tell me, how much stuff that you were taught when you were a 4th grader, is now wrong, and scientifically proven so.

NOT on this scale! This is wrong on the basics.

Hey, if any children should run around fundamentalistic, stare other people way too long in the eyes and ask something like "have you lately thought about Jesus?", then their parents are welcome. Sit down. Have a scone. Make yourself at home.. Look this quote from Monty Python up to learn how it ends.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by CarbonBase
This is a 4th grade quiz, for a person that's what 7, 8 yrs old. Parents are probably paying tuition. It's good to see the student got 100%, at least we know they're mind is working right. NDT's quote at the end of your post is nice prose, but even he would have to admit, it's wrong. And if you brought it to his attention, I'm sure he be happy to correct himself. Tell me, how much stuff that you were taught when you were a 4th grader, is now wrong, and scientifically proven so. A quiz test's if your paying attention. 100% on a quiz? Good Job kid. Keep it up

I learned cursive, multiplication and division in 2nd and 3rd grade... a student in the 4th grade is more than capable of learning true concepts, and more than capable of retaining that information for life. You are obviously confused about the capabilities of a fourth grader. Sure, science changes and evolves as new discoveries and realizations are made, but unlike religious ideologies, those aspects that change are already in existence, the observations, measurements, calculations, etc. are the only things that change. However, feeding children information like what is in the quiz is just absurd, even if the primary goal was to test comprehension and attention; but then why label the quiz a "Science Quiz"??

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Well said. Star for you. Public school? Crap!. I am sure there is the odd teacher here and there that should be getting paid twice what they are now, because the bring they're "A" game every day. I am also certain, the majority just punch the clock, and pick p a check. Science is incapable of proving the existence of that which is Divine, and always will be. Even Dr DeGrasse-Tyson would agree with that.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
There was a time that these 7 answers on a 4th grade science test would have received the same grade of 100%

1. The human body will asphyxiate at speeds in excess of 25mph.
2. The bumble bee cannot fly.
3. It is impossible for a man to fly, because he is heavier than air.
4. It is impossible for a ship made of iron to float, because iron is heavier than water.
5. When the first atomic bomb explodes, it will set off a chain reaction that will destroy the Earth.
6. The sun revolves around the Earth.
7. The stars are fixed in the firmament.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   

I am confused about 4th graders? Nice bitch slap. I have 3 children. One is in her third year of college, and is going to become a nurse. One is a stay at home Mom, who is home schooling her son and step daughter because the syllabus in public schools are 'unacceptable' to her, and rightly so. One is a supervisor that runs a telemetics data center for an oil exploration and services company. I can assure you, I have an idea of what a 7 or 8 year old mind is capable of. How many children have you put through school, I'd be interested to know. I used to teach electronic warfare school, so, making sure that people are getting it is important, if they don't, and they go into the field somebody is going to die. I went to Catholic school the first 8 years of my life. I received exactly 1 hour of 'religious' teaching out of every school day. I was taught by nuns, and they knew what they were doing, and they knew they're subject matter, including science, history, and social studies. I am eternally grateful to them. I am a Pagan now. I think they did a fantastic job.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join