It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4th Grade Science Quiz from Christian School... Ridiculous!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rubic0n

Originally posted by micmerci
There was a time that these 7 answers on a 4th grade science test would have received the same grade of 100%

1. The human body will asphyxiate at speeds in excess of 25mph.
2. The bumble bee cannot fly.
3. It is impossible for a man to fly, because he is heavier than air.
4. It is impossible for a ship made of iron to float, because iron is heavier than water.
5. When the first atomic bomb explodes, it will set off a chain reaction that will destroy the Earth.
6. The sun revolves around the Earth.
7. The stars are fixed in the firmament.

1 hundred years ago maybe^

And this makes it alright to set our education system back to the level of the middle ages? Schools are supposed to make your children more intelligent and not purposefully miss-inform them based on religion even if the school is of christian origin, they still have a responsibility towards you and your children.

My point was that 100 years ago, this science was the gold standard and anyone that thought differently was a fool. What makes us so certain that today's science is the gold standard and anyone that thinks differently is a fool?

We know so much- until we discover we were wrong and update the science. What makes you think we are at the end of knowledge? The end of revision?

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by micmerci

Thats the thing, science never claim to know everything, and it even knows it gets updated as new information is available.

But what science provides is better answers than what 2000 yr old horny men wrote.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
And folks wonder why people are turning from religion by the millions and calling themselves nones or atheists?

If you have a lick of sense you will discover that everything they taught in a fundamentalist religion-based school is wrong. It runs counter to evidence and common sense.

My grandfather was convinced the world is flat based on some random bible verse about winds from the four corners of the earth.

I was bullied in public school and begged my parents to send me to the school run by the church. The education amounted to nothing more than being handed a textbook from Bob Jones University and told to read it.

Needless to say this was a wasted year. I didn't go back after the first year and got put back in public school. I had to learn the math, English and science I missed.

This kind of religious education leaves one ill-equipped to live a fulfilling life, but most people figure out really quickly how ridiculous creationism and the rest is. The church fools fewer people than they think.

reply to post by apokalupsis33vital

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Foreverseeking

Actuallly the bible says "the circle of the Earth" and that was written thousands of years before science knew it was round. Not bad for 2000 year old horny men.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by octotom
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

Why not just accept that the bible has inaccuracies (Such as the age of the earth)

The Bible is silent as to the age of the earth. People have just interpreted the little bit of information to reach a number.

Okay i'll give you that, but ive heard that chirstians estimate it to be around 6000 years. A pretty insulting figure considering the actual age of the earth.

The book is a few thousand years old for god's sake, things have been disproved by science!!

The Bible isn't a science book, so I'm not exactly sure how things could have been disproved from it.

No the bible isnt a science book, that's not what i said, however the things within its pages (Such as genesis) have been successfully challenged by science:

- Not possible for the world to be created within 7 days.
- Not possible for a ship to be built to house two of every animal/insect.
- Not possible for man to know more about divine faith than a woman.
edit on 24-4-2013 by SearchLightsInc because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Actuallly the bible says "the circle of the Earth" and that was written thousands of years before science knew it was round. Not bad for 2000 year old horny men.

All one has to do is look up. The sun and the moon are circles. Look around. Everything is in a 360 degree radius from where one stands. Just because they believed the earth was circular, doesn't mean they understood the roundness of the earth, or that it wasn't flat.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword

Seems legit...

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by apokalupsis33vital
Ok, so a friend of mine sent this to me from back home. He doesn't know the name of the school, but you can deduce that it was given out by a one-sided, religious zealot by merely looking at it:

This is just ridiculous! Do administrators, even ones at Christian schools, realize the damage that they are causing to children by teaching them such blatantly false knowledge? How is this acceptable, academically speaking; and how does this assist in preparing a student for future study? I firmly believe that ideologies that purport that all matter and existence was created in a week should not be taught in an accredited learning institution, Christian or not; it is a disservice to the students, the community, and the future of our civilization.

Sure, I can't prove that there is not a creator. Sure, there are flaws in science. But the facts of nature that have been proven observations are innumerable compared to the alternatives that exist to explain the same things, which primarily only rely on faith of a divine intervention making it so. My heart goes out to the children whom do not know any better.

Little can be said about the religious institutions that try to use variations of this quote by Neil DeGrasse Tyson to maintain their arguments, and on the surface it does seem contradictory; however, the difference is that observations of aspects of the world around us have been proven, whereas the words from the numerous "holy books" have not been proven.

The thing I find most interesting is the name. You can't see it, but it is written in cursive. From the looks of it, exceptional penmanship at that.

This is why I do not trust or particularly like atheists and most secularists. For starters, they remind me of the converts after Spain liberated Iberia from the muslims. You see, these converts where among the most ruthless hunters of Jew's and muslims in Spain during the Spanish Inquisition(a religious/ideological Inquisition carried about by a government).

Given that this is a conspiracy website, I could say that I think the whole thing is made up to suite someones agenda, but let's ignore that angle and go back to the whole penmanship thing. Most public schools are dropping(or thinking about dropping) cursive writing.

Heck, most kids and a good chunks of teens these day's can't even read, let alone write in cursive. So to have such good cursive writing makes me wonder what this particular students writing is like in general(grammar, word usage, sentence structure).

Lastly, how atheists and secularists remind me of zealot converts, science isn't a collection of facts, it is a process of discovery. You know, the thing called the "Scientific Method"? That is Science. It is totally and wholly ignorant to claim a bunch of facts that may be thrown out the window tomorrow, is "Science".

That is all atheists and secularists ever do, they use facts derived from academic researchers(who are hopefully using the Scientific Method) as a cudgel against those who believe or think differently then them.

It truly makes me wonder if secularism is a blessing in disguise for Christianity though; as it seems the Historically worst elements of Christianity have left for a belief system more fitting them, and enabling them to engage in such horrible actions. I wonder if there was ever a clamp down on atheism how many would convert to islam? I digress as that is off topic and irrelevant to the general discussion taking place.

In closing:

What type of school would you rather have your kids in? A school that teaches your kids socially some~ accepted facts with a major de-emphasis on critical thinking, or a school that teaches your children some unusual facts but gives their students the methodology of critical thinking?

edit on 24-4-2013 by korathin because: ~ added the word "some" as it seems only "facts" that can be used to bash Christianity are used or emphasised.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   

The ancients also thought that the stars were angels, messengers of God. And, they thought that meteorites, shooting stars, were fallen angels.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

If you are referring to Revealation, I am certain you have an understanding of symbolism. There are many references in scripture to the sun, moon and stars that speak of them as being creations of the creator- no mention of angels. Funny how you would single out the symbolic references to try to prove a scientific failure.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by korathin

Heck, most kids and a good chunks of teens these day's can't even read, let alone write in cursive. So to have such good cursive writing makes me wonder what this particular students writing is like in general(grammar, word usage, sentence structure).

Lastly, how atheists and secularists remind me of zealot converts, science isn't a collection of facts, it is a process of discovery. You know, the thing called the "Scientific Method"? That is Science. It is totally and wholly ignorant to claim a bunch of facts that may be thrown out the window tomorrow, is "Science".

That is all atheists and secularists ever do, they use facts derived from academic researchers(who are hopefully using the Scientific Method) as a cudgel against those who believe or think differently then them.

That is all they "ever" do?
When someone starts with "always" or "never" or "all they ever do", it seems clear to me that they aren't really paying attention. To dismiss someone without hearing their thoughts as Zealot Converts is disingenuous.

Science is what it is. New things are discovered all the time. Why does religion not keep up?

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

Science is what it is. New things are discovered all the time. Why does religion not keep up?

"For the scientist that has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountain of ignorance. He is about to conquer the highest peak. As he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greated by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."
~Robert Jastrow, God and the Astronomer

Maybe scripture has been there all along but religion is simply misinterpreting it.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Or folks try to interpret the ambiguous religious scripture according to what science has discovered recent years in order to "make it fit".

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Meh...religious people can be just as pompous as scientists, thinking they have all the answers. Personally, I do not see the need to "make it fit". When it comes down to it, I only have myself to fit all the pieces together for. I understand critical thinking as well as scientific method, so I think I am in good shape. However, I do not think science nor religion has conquered the last mountain of ignorance, so I will keep an open mind.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

A flat circle is still ...flat.

Which is why you where sentenced to death by the church if you dared to claim the earth was a globe and not a flat plane.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Okay. If my grandfather were alive today I would have been sure to share this with him.

Honestly, I couldn't care less about what the bible says about the sciences. However, it does contain a great deal of information about human behavior over the period of time it was being written.

And from that perspective, it still has some relevancy as an influential and historical text much like the Homerian version of the Iliad or the Beowulf epic as recounted in the Nowell Codex.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

I am not saying dinos were around when humans were or anything but it should not be discounted so easily. We have found footprints that look human alongside dino prints. We look at science and try to use it to dispove a creator. Instead we should use it to find the truth and leave it at that.

- Not possible for the world to be created within 7 days.
- Not possible for a ship to be built to house two of every animal/insect.
- Not possible for man to know more about divine faith than a woman.

These three reasons are incorrect. The variable you are not using when proving these facts is technology. Anything can happen with the right tech. We at this point cannot do these things but in the future we might. There are already several threads on ats about how aceint civilizations were much more advanced then we know. I will go through your 3 reasons genesis is wrong.

7 day creation is easy if you can control evrything at a beyond atomic level. Control is the problem not wether it can happen or not. Humans can't do this so we say it can't be done. Fallisy

Ship for all animals. This is incorrect as well. It was 2 of every "kind" not species. Noah didn't bring every species of dog. He brought 2 dogs probably what we call wolves. In the wolf dna is the building blocks for all other species of dog. If he brought 2 of every "kind" we are talking very doable. "dinosaurs" are just large reptiles and noah would not have had to bring the big ones on the boat.

The divine faith thing I am not sure what you mean. I will guess you are talking about the man being the head of the household spiritually. This is a testy subject but it is an easy one. There has to be a leader. It is that simple.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Yes of course, its never the method, its the people, and since its people, they can be swayed by emotion.

I personally don't have anything against religion or religious, as long as they don't interfere in my life, thru my house door or thru a bill government passes.

I'm not sure now... but 10 yrs ago in high school, we were never taught about evolution, i was taught science, but that was observed science, like genetics and chemistry. which are 99% true, because we use them right now as medicines and surgery. I enjoyed my religious classes as well, it talked about different faiths, however the class never contradicted science or claim it as facts.

it boils down to..
Why do religious try to prove a faith? just being faithful isn't enough? need to "teach" others a faith?

Because that is when you have people trying to disprove religion.

edit on 4/24/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Rubic0n

You give an example of how corrupt religion used misinterpretation as a means to retain power. This says nothing of what the scripture says

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rubic0n

There was a time that these 7 answers on a 4th grade science test would have received the same grade of 100%

4. It is impossible for a ship made of iron to float, because iron is heavier than water.
5. When the first atomic bomb explodes, it will set off a chain reaction that will destroy the Earth.

1 hundred years ago maybe^

And this makes it alright to set our education system back to the level of the middle ages? Schools are supposed to make your children more intelligent and not purposefully miss-inform them based on religion even if the school is of christian origin, they still have a responsibility towards you and your children.

My point was that 100 years ago, this science was the gold standard and anyone that thought differently was a fool. What makes us so certain that today's science is the gold standard and anyone that thinks differently is a fool?

We know so much- until we discover we were wrong and update the science. What makes you think we are at the end of knowledge? The end of revision?

The problem with you point is that this : ...

Has been surpassed already and is in all actuality part of educational history like these examples you posted:

Difference being that these schools try to keep this^ and or go back to these^ levels of education.

imagine these kids on ATS when they grow up , defending what they have "learned".

edit on 24-4-2013 by Rubic0n because: typ0

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join