It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Can People Still Blindly Defend Our Government?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
This just has me flabbergasted. This rant stems from today towards friends and family members on face book. Now I didn't whole-heartily agree with their argument that "anyone who thinks the government setup the suspected bombers doesn't have a brain" and all of a sudden it turned into a debate about either trusting or questioning the government. I know it's far fetched at this point to claim it was a setup and the trauma is still fresh but to then claim that anyone who questions the government is a lunatic and needs to move out of the country is scary! I tried explaining that questioning the media and government is healthy and pointed out a few things for them to research such as operations Northwoods, Ajax and Mockingbird, Frank Olsen and Mk Ultra, The Tuskegee Syphilis study, watergate, testimony of Nayirah, CIA drug running in Arkans and LA to open there eyes a little. I am then mocked and ridiculed and that "LOL, I'm a freedom fighter and that they hope I don't die in the struggle on the internet". They actually believe that drone strikes killing innocent people in other countries is protecting them from terrorists and blindly support the war. I then tried telling them that with things like that, the government is creating more terrorists. What really scared me is these people are not stupid and one claimed that she felt that the government is a parent and that nobody is perfect and she feels that she is completely protected by them. The real scary thing she isn't the only one that thinks this. Needless to say, I deactivated my face book. I just cannot stand the stupidity on it anymore...

Am I in the wrong? Am I some crazy person that by questioning the government and the war and their policies, I am a lunatic and don't have a brain? It's so frustrating that I can't persuade people to open their eyes a little!

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Chad_Thomas89

Questioning the Government is healthy. I make a life out of it both online and in the real world.

Taking that so far as to see no possibilities in an event OUTSIDE of the Government having done it, helped it or willingly allowed it? ....That's where we go from healthy and necessary paranoia the times simply require to a paranoia born of near mental illness and which poses a danger more than a help.

We collectively run the risk of being shot in the back by enemies who find it all amusing while we're too busy yelling at the Government to even notice them coming up behind us.

While the old saying has a lot of truth to it 'Even Paranoids have real enemies', so too would saying 'Even paranoids can have random acts of violence (or terrorism) happen'.

Question with boldness ....but question with intelligence. That would be my general thinking on skeptic vs. person in need of help.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   

anyone who questions the government is a lunatic and needs to move out of the country

I am very surprised you just noted that the majority feel this way.

The Boston thing could well have been an larger trial run from the Miami practice, of how to cleanly shut down all large cities.
It went very smooth. I do know that military like real tests before action work out possible kinks and not rely on training without action test runs.
I don't see any reason to rule out government manipulated terror action at this point.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Think of it like a horror movie and the audience consists of you and your friends and family. During the scary scenes you keep your eyes forward unflinching while they all turn away squeamishly and choose not to see that part.

When reality is placed in a lot of peoples faces, it scares them, and they turn away squeamishly. They don't want to see or hear that part either. It pushes them out of the uncomfortable norm of their daily lives.

Many will have to turn and look for themselves. Others already know and are in the 'tired of hearing about it' stage because it makes them feel helpless. The feeling of helplessness and being careless doesn't go hand in hand so they prefer the latter and choose to ignore the wrong being done.

I too got off Facebook a year ago and have not once regretted doing so. Social media can not only spread information in the blink of and eye but disinformation just as fast.
Besides why does everyone feel the need to put their lives out there for the world to see?
edit on 20-4-2013 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

No, your not in the wrong but when it comes to those issues you are speaking about don't bother with anyone who will not listen. Your wasting your time. I deactivated my facebook account a long time ao because of the same reasons.. Sick of the childish bs that riddles that website. Do you ever ge the "Don't believe everything you hear on the internet" from people who have most likely never spent 10 minutes researching anything who then turn to facebook and want to show you a stupid meme or something? Waste of time, just believe what you believe and let them come to you if they choose too.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Neither do I. That statement is the general understanding with nearly everyone I have talked to. I don't endorse at all.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I agree with you for sure. To me, I agreed to an extent with my friends and family that it is a little far fetched to outright and say the government set them up when we don't have all the facts yet. However, they are equating that with if anyone questions or doesn't agree with the government, then you need to leave the country. It's that type of thinking that scares me.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

Yes I have
. What really ticks me off is that I would post news articles worthy of attention that I got from this site and post it on facebook to spread the news and open a discussion but to always fell on deaf ears while someone would post some half-jerked, "like this or share" about some nonsense and they would get a crazy amount of attention. Then, the one time I got to debate which was today, I was backed into a corner and blasted about being crazy and silly about the fact that I don't agree with the government and don't trust them. I'm glad I deactivated my account.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
What has always been true in my life and through out my research is this, "when the student is ready, the teacher will appear". Plant the seed in those that show interest. There is another quote I think a biblical quote that goes, "cast not your precious stones before the swine lest they turn and rend you" meaning don't share your information with people whom are not ready to hear it. When someone acts almost violently at you for your opinion on a certain issue, it is because you are violating thier belief. And the fact that they get upset is because they don't want to believe that what the believe could be false. People are scared. They are terrified of finding out that everything they know about politics, government so on and so forth is all a lie.

Have you ever been lied to even a small lie? Did you feel duped? Imagine how you felt when you first started finding out the truth of matters. I remember when I did. I was quite upset, scared a little. Now try and imagine from the point of view that you've never delved into this subject.

top topics

join