It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What separates a death in Iraq from one in Boston?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misbah
Correct me if I'm wrong.

I doubt you would listen.

I guess you don't notice that islam is the second largest religion.

What's the first?

I guess the religious people in the middle east who do not fear death, are just a lot stupider that the religious people in the west who do not fear death.

as they strap bombs to themselves, rushing to meet their deity.

You know, the way you make it sound, is quite appropriate. God, to a stupid person, is something that comforts them in an otherwise scary world. Like a warm blanket on a cold night, only the blanket is a promise and the night is inevitable death.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   

About 5798 miles (9330 kilometres).

Other than that . . . nothing . . .

Somewhere somebody lost a spouse, child, parent, friend, relative . . . the distance between the two physical locations makes neither likely to notice the other.

But, its is still a tragic time for either.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
edit on 4/18/2013 by truthinfact because: removed because I had nothing Nice To Say.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Cinrad

Really, I really despise these threads. THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE!~ American's ban together when something happens on the homefront. NOT ALL OF US SUPPORT THESE RIDICULOUS WARS. Life is life~ It's sad either way.You want all the American Citizen's to mourn other countries deaths? Death is a daily occurance no matter where you are. America is the culprit to some shady wars, but we all stick together at least most American's do when SHTF.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
one thing that is the same about these deaths
its the same folks behind it all

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Okay, the people answering "because it is normal to pay more attention to what happens in your own country" have a valid point, and it is taken.

But see, this criticism is coming up in other countries..... why in Europe, do they spend hours playing and replaying and talking about the Boston incident, (which killed three) when the same day, terrorist attacks took 50 in a different country?

Part of the reason is that we are desensitized- we are used to hearing everyday how more people were killed in the Middle East by terrorism, and less often in the US.

Secondly, I think it is because of the huge media coverage the US is able to use. In a group of people, many may be victimized, but it is the loudest whiners that get the attention and everyone attends to. On an international scale, it works the same way. In Iraq, there was not fifty different camera crews on the spot within ten minutes, with that many channels to diffuse on, using a lot of really loud music and flashing titles engineered towards shock value.
They didn't have as much possibility to spread that noise internationally. Poor people don't have the means to be heard as far and wide.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
When was Boston a war zone?

The reason why it's discussed more is because it's unexpected.
Hence it raises more questions regarding motive.

When it comes down to the victims and the suffering; to those closely involved there is no difference at all.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Who's propaganda you buy.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent008
Because we are told anybody with brown or black skin is a terrorist or a rapist so who gives a crap what those people in the dirty countries do. We must protect the White Americas!!!

or something like that...

actually i think it's more a mideastern thing, if you're told people died in the mideast most people don't care because our country and media have vilified them and reduced their opinion to that of anything happening in the mideast doesn't matter because our society (govt.) has decreed them to be savages.

first the govt. propaganda has to reduce people to savage status then they can kill them at will and the people wont mind.

you can see it written through the halls of history.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by GeorgiaGirl

think it's the fact that the closer a death is to "home", the more you feel it. We all see Boston and think it could be us, our children, our friends. Iraq is so distant and foreign to us that we don't think it has a lot to do to with us. We've spent the most recent decades of our lives hearing about death and destruction overseas. We're almost immune to that news. But in America--no.

I so wish this was true but I live in the UK and while the news has barely mentioned the attacks in Iraq we have been saturated by events in Boston. London is 5,186.8 km from Baghdad and it is 5,320 km from Boston. So its not distance.

I think the sad truth is that the west, in particular the US and UK, are responsible for the chaos Iraq now finds itself in and they simply want us to forget about it while the military industrial complex eyes up its next target.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Cinrad

america is allowed to bomb the freedom into who ever it likes.

*end sarcasm*

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Do you think the people in Iraq care as much about dead Americans or dead Iraqis?

I don't think I need to say more.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Why these should be compared and how this thread is different of the others with same issue.. i believe there is dozens of them if not hundreds?

I dont think its a matter of indifference but more like media is providing the news which has spectators, In US people are focused in domestic news and these are what average people there watch so their needs are fulfilled, stories which happen close have more signifigance. Its all about the money and profits when it comes to news media companies.. Breaking News even this title tells us there is a competition going on who gets the news out first, news that intrest their public most and which affects their lives most.

If it happens in US you cant avoid seeing their news in every continent.. why ? Because US is one of the super powers of the World. Its not only super power by military it also has super powerful media houses.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Cinrad

Our greedy MSM that gets paid by how many viewers they get for there shows. Thats what seperates Iraq from Boston. Boston is a hotter topic where people are staying in tuned.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma
Okay, the people answering "because it is normal to pay more attention to what happens in your own country" have a valid point, and it is taken.

But see, this criticism is coming up in other countries..... why in Europe, do they spend hours playing and replaying and talking about the Boston incident, (which killed three) when the same day, terrorist attacks took 50 in a different country?

Part of the reason is that we are desensitized- we are used to hearing everyday how more people were killed in the Middle East by terrorism, and less often in the US.

Secondly, I think it is because of the huge media coverage the US is able to use. In a group of people, many may be victimized, but it is the loudest whiners that get the attention and everyone attends to. On an international scale, it works the same way. In Iraq, there was not fifty different camera crews on the spot within ten minutes, with that many channels to diffuse on, using a lot of really loud music and flashing titles engineered towards shock value.
They didn't have as much possibility to spread that noise internationally. Poor people don't have the means to be heard as far and wide.

Originally posted by LittleBlackEagle
if you're told people died in the mideast most people don't care because our country and media have vilified them and reduced their opinion to that of anything happening in the mideast doesn't matter because our society (govt.) has decreed them to be savages.

first the govt. propaganda has to reduce people to savage status then they can kill them at will and the people wont mind.

you can see it written through the halls of history.

I think if you got to hear the stories of the 50 people who died, their likes, dislikes, see them with their families or at work, listen to their dreams and goals. listen to the times they were challenged and rose above it, the times they succumbed and what they learned about themselves, you would care as much as the three in Boston.
edit on 19/4/13 by Cinrad because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Cinrad

yes very sad. Half of the death toll were children.

70K civilians killed so far in Syria. It is horrendous.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Cinrad

I love it how the media and others claim that a death in Iraq isn't newsworthy when put up against the recent Boston bombings.

It's a matter of perspective.

What has more impact on people in the U.S?

I would say the Boston bombings happened a little too close to home for me (I'm about 2.5-3 hours from Boston) and in an area where such violence is unheard of.

In comparison, we have been in Iraq since 2003. Violent things happen there everyday. People die. People get hurt. People are maimed.

The same happens in the U.S but not with the same frequency as events in Iraq or other parts of the world.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
You're all saying that deaths are so often in these parts that it isn't as important. That the place is pretty far away.
So then may I ask you, why, when we all heard of Malala Yousafzai (No offense intended towards Malala. I support her cause) got shot in the head, millions of people flipped and began screaming bloody murder. May I ask you why when you see an execution video, news networks are broadcasting the goddamn thing on TV again and again as if the entire world is about to end?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join