It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CISPA just Passed... Forget about Anonymous hacking you, your own government now can.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Does that mean most of us on ATS might end up on a list to be monitored? We all probably typed many "key words" that they're searching for.. Now I'm slightly worried..

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   
That's comforting. Too bad Aaron Swartz wasn't around to defend us this time.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Okay, my friend as me using peerblock on my computer. This is a free download that will prevent attempts to access you computer from IP addresses.

Download Peerblock

It uses lists of sketchy organizations to keep them off of your PC, and those lists are constantly updated. I would highly recommend it - my room-mate works for an unnamed government organization, so has to have it.
edit on 18-4-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital
Will the passing of this bill have any negative affect on me as an Australian citizen? Just wondering, and thanks.

I would say yes... Knowing how were all connected in more than a few ways, these things typically have a domino effect...

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
There was a thread awhile back asking ATS to have a pop up or banner that would warn people about CISPA and give them a link to petition it. It did not get enough stars or flags to show up nor did ATS take the initiative. So here we are looking at it possibly passing and still the masses do not care. Next they will brute force SOPA back through but since it failed once why bother fighting it right? Enjoy your future police state built on the bricks of your apathy America.

Sorry Aaron Schwartz your work was in vain RIP.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
If you still have questions on how govt operates or should I say how its supposed to operate- then Google is your friend.

If this bill was introduced in the house and passed with 2/3 majority- then it then goes onto the senate for a vote.
If it passes the Senate- it then goes to the president for final approval.

so the whole point is to stop it in either of the houses before it gets to his desk.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

this hasnt been updated since 2010, im sure the tptb can maul this peerblock by now.

we need something newer and stronger

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I read that Anonymous is going to launch an internet blackout operation as a responce.

I really am counting on anonymous this time

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
By the way, if any of you want to browse the web anonymously, go download the Tor Browser or plugins.

Search it up, I won't post a link to it due to the capabilities of the browser....

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Did this pass house or not? when does it go to senate?

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by radiotracker350

You are probably right... plus it uses a list of known IP addresses to block, I'm not entirely certain if they have the IP addresses for the NSA, for example.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Anonymous has no organization so I would not depend on them to accomplish much.

Gotta love the conflict of interest just slipping by.

www.techdirt.com...

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
delete
edit on 19-4-2013 by fusse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I wish I knew more about how bills are passed.. I understand that it goes from the House to the Senate to the President's desk, but I wonder, if Obama Veto's this bill (assuming it makes it passed the Senate) does that mean his decision is final or is there some sort of recourse the house/senate can take to go around his veto?

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by repressed

R 219 yea, 4 nay.
D 8 yea, 188 nay.

Looks like it won't pass the Senate.

Doesn't that say it all. Must admit, I am surprised that more demos didn't vote for this.

Kinda renews ones faith.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537

Originally posted by MrJohnSmith
reply to post by jhn7537

With respect, surely if it can help solve crime and prevent terrorism, the average law abiding citizen has nothing to be afraid of ?

I agree with you to a certain degree... Yes, I have nothing to hide, but it's the principle of it all. Its just one less right we have (or restricted, better yet)... This country was founded on freedom and rights, and slowly they're all being stripped away in the name of national security... By doing this, we are letting the terrorists win..

freedom and rights 200 years ago, are not the freedom and rights of today.....back then, no rights for slaves, indentured servants, women, gay people, Indians....

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake
Okay, my friend as me using peerblock on my computer. This is a free download that will prevent attempts to access you computer from IP addresses.

Download Peerblock

It uses lists of sketchy organizations to keep them off of your PC, and those lists are constantly updated. I would highly recommend it - my room-mate works for an unnamed government organization, so has to have it.
edit on 18-4-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

as with anything on the internet, you MUST ALWAYS assume that people lie...does anyone know the inner workings of peerblock?, who owns it?, who has access to it?....this idea that somehow we here in the internet world have privacy has been a fallacy for a long time. I worked in IT, retired in 06, and even back then, the idea of privacy on the internet was a joke.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
It passed the House and now has to pass in the Senate and Obama has said he will veto this bill - But many folks don't understand - the democrats and the republicans want the same thing - they just disagree on how it gets done. Thats why Obama will veto the bill - so the dem's can get their own CISPA type bill passed.

They both want to take away our internet freedoms and catalog all our data and make it so all companies can pass along private info to the feds. They have different ways to do it because they want to have more control and power through their respective methods for each group, democrats or republicans.

Hence they are both evil. Time for the two party ticket to end.
edit on 20-4-2013 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by sad_eyed_lady
Just got the word from a local liberty group:

"Your action or inaction will determine whether CISPA passes or fails. Members of Congress can be persuaded if they feel pressure from home. We're voting early on Thursday. Have you contacted your Representative?

It passed in committee, and the vote mentioned was a procedural resolution to allow debate on the actual bill, H.R. 624.but is headed to the floor tomorrow AM. Still time to do some barking.

cei.org... +%28CEI.org+%7C+Featured+Articles%29
edit on 4/17/2013 by sad_eyed_lady because: (no reason given)

This is really a big joke cause since the patriot act was passed by bush they have been able to spy on you for awhile they just keep up this charade to make people think they still have some what a voice (so we dont actually rise up and do something about it) in reality we have no voice

"We must seek the guilty and not strike out against the innocent or we become like them who are without moral guidance or proper direction.'
edit on 21-4-2013 by Deceasedfantasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I respect Karl Denninnger's intelligence and insight so I pay attention to what he puts down.
Anyone whose read this bill and wants to take exception, please do, after reading the whole article.

CISPA: Where's The Beef?
market-ticker.org...

I've read it. My first-blush opinion is that this bill is milquetoast nonsense that does little or nothing at all. It also contains liability provisions for people in the government who violate privacy, among other things, and specifically exempts certain types of records from being used at all, including library records and firearm sales records.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join