It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

was there a drill in boston or not?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
hello,
i have heard this morning that police are denying a controlled explosives drill in boston, but i cant find any evidence of such a statement on the net.

snopes is reporting it was only because of a boston globe tweet that was supposedly only in reference to JFK library?

can anyone with more information provide me with some verifiable links?

i need to know if this is true, there was a drill in progress, or no there was no drill just usual heightened security for public event...

anyone know?

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by okamitengu

I believe that people are referring to a tweet that was put out by the Boston Herald shortly after the 2nd explosion. I was under the impression that they were warning people that a bomb squad was going to be exploding a device that they found.

Edit to add - Excuse me ... it was the Boston Globe

edit on 16-4-2013 by underduck because: add photo ... correct Boston Globe

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
According to this article it seems there was indeed a drill or some sort of bomb squad related event going on before the explosions.

UM Coach: Bomb Sniffing Dogs, Spotters on Roofs Before Explosions

"They kept making announcements to the participants do not worry, it's just a training exercise," Coach Ali Stevenson told Local 15.

Stevenson said he saw law enforcement spotters on the roofs at the start of the race. He's been in plenty of marathons in Chicago, D.C., Chicago, London and other major metropolitan areas but has never seen that level of security before.

"Evidently, I don't believe they were just having a training exercise," Stevenson said. "I think they must have had some sort of threat or suspicion called in."

I haven't heard anything about them denying that yet, I'll keep an eye on it too. I think it's just heightened security for public the event as you stated.
edit on 16-4-2013 by Dominar because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Dominar

It was S.O.P here for a large public event. They sweep the area prior to the event (as should happen to uncover anything before the crowd gets too big) as a precaution. As folks might be there, and see them, S.O.P. is to allay their fears that it;s only a routine sweep of the area for safety. Folks are reading too much into this report, IMO.

If they didn't sweep the area with sniffers, and something happened, you would question that as odd too wouldn't you?

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Yes,

this is what DHS calls their LIVE drill

Theyre creating a new terror group to blame, since Al-Qaeda is so played out some 12 yrs ago at least domestically.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krakatoa
reply to post by Dominar

It was S.O.P here for a large public event. They sweep the area prior to the event (as should happen to uncover anything before the crowd gets too big) as a precaution. As folks might be there, and see them, S.O.P. is to allay their fears that it;s only a routine sweep of the area for safety. Folks are reading too much into this report, IMO.

If they didn't sweep the area with sniffers, and something happened, you would question that as odd too wouldn't you?

You're right, people are making a big deal of this. As you said, I would of been much more worried if they didn't do these checks before/during the event.

On a side note, has anyone been able to identify the man on the roof?

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Dominar

On a side note, has anyone been able to identify the man on the roof?

Not that I am aware, but then, it's not a priority I'm guessing at this point. However, it's a likely probability it was a maintenance worker that either wanted to see the race from the roof (that would be an awesome vantage point), or he was working on the roof (A/C units are on the roofs of many of these business buildings).

It's more likely the Feds are currently poring over the CCTV video from businesses in the area, as well as submitted photos from news and private citizens. My concern is a private citizen submitting a 'shopped image to the police (anonymously) to implicate someone specific yet unrelated.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
im not attached to either possibility, i just want actual proof of the boston police denying this occured.

i really want to know for sure.

we can speculate either way, and say its good or bad, but i want to see a denial, and i cant find one.

anyone?

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
edit - apparently I am an idiot. Carry on.
edit on 16-4-2013 by underduck because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
The denial came in the press conference held by Gov. Deval Patrick and other Boston authorities in which they were asked by a member of Infowars no less if a drill was being run and also if this was a false flag. Here's one link... www.huffingtonpost.ca...

The answer to whether it was a false flag was a stern and quick "No" and the answer to whether there were any drills was also a negative. I'm trying to find a link to video/audio of the press conference.

This article states that the Boston PD had no knowledge of any threats prior to the event, kind of relevant considering it would lend credence to them conducting drills then. I still think it's fishy, despite the somewhat normal circumstances in which some sort of security precaution drill may be executed, that they would have people on speakerphone telling people to stay in place and it was only a drill right as a real bomb goes off.
news.yahoo.com...
edit on 16-4-2013 by PatriotGames2 because: (no reason given)

This link has video of one of the press conferences in which they were asked whether there were drills conducted or not... Headline says they did not deny, contrary to what I've heard.
deadlinelive.info...
uncover777.wordpress.com...

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dominar

Originally posted by Krakatoa
reply to post by Dominar

You're right, people are making a big deal of this. As you said, I would of been much more worried if they didn't do these checks before/during the event.

interesting point. You're suggesting that these agency's worked together prior to a large event of this sort doing a major invasive sweep of the area. This case dozens of professionally trained tactical units and bomb experts worked the area to make sure there were no incendiary devices or other possible dangers to the runners as they approached the finish line - in essence a full sweep to make sure people were safe from harm. What conclusions were drawn after doing such a thorough sweep, if any, by the those enforcement agency members?

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by crankyoldman

I'd say those intelligence and law enforcement agencies that get our tax dollars to do their job who did a full sweep of the area and found nothing at all directly prior to a terrorist attack should be disbanded and sent home for good.

Incompetence seems to be contagious

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by PatriotGames2

I'd say those intelligence and law enforcement agencies that get our tax dollars to do their job who did a full sweep of the area and found nothing at all directly prior to a terrorist attack should be disbanded and sent home for good.

So I take it you think it impossible to arrive at that location, after the sweep and the crowds are already there, with EVERYONE looking at the race, no room for sniffers to even work, drop a bag to clap and cheer for a runner crossing the finish line (you could yell any name and not even be questioned), then leave to "meet the runner" leaving the bag for nobody to notice?

Personally, I think it is very credible and nigh impossible to prevent at an event of this type. I've been in parades, looking at the spectators, and not one of them is looking behind them. In this case, the runners wouldn't typically be looking into the crowd so near the finish line either. SO, everyone looking toward the street or finish line, packed together, all cheering, yelling. waving, who's going to notice someone leaving a bag on the ground?

And, if you were standing there, not cheering, looking around at the crowd for something suspicious (and were not dressed as a police officer or security), you would look suspicious and someone would likely single YOU out for interrogation.

I would like to see YOU do a better job under such an enormous challenge.
edit on 16-4-2013 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Krakatoa

Sorry we'll have to agree to disagree.

I'm very familiar with standard procedure in such events from a law enforcement perspective and they are very good at what they do. I wasn't there so I don't know how many police were around and if a drill was actually going on involving bomb-sniffing dogs and other agencies or what have you, but I have full confidence they would most likely (9 out of 10 times) snuff out a suspicious event or become aware of dangerous and/or malevolent looking individuals.

Unless of course they weren't looking or told not to look

Your post seems quite antagonistic for such grand speculation. Stressed out?

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by PatriotGames2

Your post seems quite antagonistic for such grand speculation. Stressed out?

Yes, I am. I knew 2 women there that are now in the hospital. One has lost both of her legs below the knee, the other was riddled with shrapnel throughout her entire lower body. So yeah, I'm stressed. Yet, I don;t blame the men on security, I blame the #$@#$ that planned, built, and planted those devices.

(which is why it took me all last night and today before starting to read and post on these threads)

Sorry if that offends your speculations and accusations they should be fired.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Apparently this person has never noticed bomb sniffing dogs at a Marathon race...Question..Has anyone in the past 10 years known of them performing bomb searches before or during a race?

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
deadspin video

the video shows they deny it was a false flag.

the person who asked the question should be shot for asking such a stupid question.

so if this is the press conference that supposedly denies a drill occurring, it does not.
it confirms it was not a false flag to take away their civil liberties... as though a governor of mass. would know that anyway

any other evidence out there?
edit on 16-4-2013 by okamitengu because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by PatriotGames2

Given what is stated in the press, I was under the impression that the folks who do this sort of thing never get it wrong. So it begs the questions:

1. If the patriot act and NDAA were designed for Americans to give up their rights and money to get safer - how come this happened?

2. If we really can't be any safer, then why bother at all?

3. If these folks failed, as you say, maybe they should be fired. If an air traffic controller crashed a plane, he'd be fired.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 02:19 AM
link   
The mom said that the FBI has been following the older brother for five years. That would account for the heavy security. I'm no expert about the security around public events, but the security appeared to be more offense than defense, like they were ready to pounce. Spotters on the roofs at marathons? JFK didn't even get that. Well....

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
This just in on the Reuters news site - apparently in the week leading up to the Boston marathon, the DHS says they did consider the possibility of a bomb being used. Link to the news story below.

Planning for Boston Marathon security included bombing scenario - Reuters 25/04/13

new topics

top topics

join