It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Manned Mars Mission Draws Flood of Applicants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
This is probably old news to some here on ATS, but still worth mentioning. Dennis Tito, the World's first "Space Tourist" announced for the "Inspiration Mars" company that there will be a Mars mission in 2018 which will include a fly-by of the Red planet. The goal according to the inspiration team is to use two people, preferrably a couple, to travel the 501 day trip to Mars and back while living on a diet of recycled urine and freeze dried food.

This mission isn't accepting applications yet, but there is already a flood of applicants. So, all being said would any of you go?

www.space.com...
edit on 16-4-2013 by lostbook because: incorrect info

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Why do a flood of applicants respond to something that does not even exist yet? Why was this mars mission rumor started? Possibly to build interest in a manned Mars mission so it will show that people think it is necessary and the government funds it? We need to fix our own biosphere and not worry about Mars right now.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by lostbook

That would be awesome for a sensual young couple, better have lots of birth control pills on hand. It would be odd to have your period during the trip, that and keeping that fresh feeling with all the sexy time.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I disagree with you. What the Human race needs now is inspiration and the pride of collective achievement.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I think I have ALLOT more confidence in Richard Branson. He announced something like that sometime back. So Now, we are looking at some good competition. Talk about motivation. Unfortunately OUR Government sux at backing NASA and making stuff happen. OUR Government has ALLOT MORE money than either one of them do. O Wait. .. That's OUR Money. Talk about Pi$$ Poor Money Management.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
reply to post by lostbook

That would be awesome for a sensual young couple, better have lots of birth control pills on hand. It would be odd to have your period during the trip, that and keeping that fresh feeling with all the sexy time.

This reply and the recycled urine thing turned my stomach.

I'd be like babe you drink your pee and I'll drink my pee.

Edit - I'm out the whole thing is too gross.

edit on 15-4-2013 by billy565 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   

"Why do a flood of applicants respond to something that does not even exist yet? Why was this mars mission rumor started? Possibly to build interest in a manned Mars mission so it will show that people think it is necessary and the government funds it? We need to fix our own biosphere and not worry about Mars right now."

I think this is the perfect opportunity for mankind to advance. The "..we need to fix problems here on Earth.." argument is a moot point since the answer is not something that politicians are willing to pursue. Things will not change until drastic steps are taken and I think this move is a drastic step, and I think it'll work. People are so held up with the "What-if's" and political pandering that nothing gets done and the problems keep building up. This first step could be a game changer. Once a child takes it's first step eventually there will be another and another until that baby is walking. This is where humanity is with Space-exploration; we just need to take that first major step and it will only be uphill from there.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Why do a flood of applicants respond to something that does not even exist yet? Why was this mars mission rumor started? Possibly to build interest in a manned Mars mission so it will show that people think it is necessary and the government funds it? We need to fix our own biosphere and not worry about Mars right now.

Furthermore, if you read the article then you will see that this mission does exist, they just haven't started accepting applications yet. That may have been an error on my part in the original post so forgive me on that if so.

To your other point about interest in Space-Yes. That's the point, to further develop and build interest in Space, and develop Space infrastructure. And no, it's not using Government funds. Here's a quote from the article:

"Tito plans to fund the Inspiration Mars Foundation for the first two years with his own money, with private donations covering the rest of the mission's costs." No Government money involved here.

Who knows, maybe all of the World's current financial problems is a type of False Flag to get people to agree to mining Astreroids, establishing planetary colonies, and the like in order to solve our problems. Whatever the case, this is still the best step forward.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   
The mission is just a concept, it's not enough. Is there the rocket, the capsule, the resources, and all the necessary technological and scientific research done? Going to another solar system body isn't as simple as anouncing a mission and calling for applicants.

To get things into perspective, we haven't even had a proper private orbital mission.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse

We need to fix our own biosphere and not worry about Mars right now.

To be 100% honest I wouldn't mind trashing "our own bioshpere" to get a better chance to explore Mars.
Earth can wait.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 05:08 AM
link   

i imagine people in Europe were saying the same thing about the "manned new world mission". "we need to fix the problems in Europe , not worry about the new world right now".

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Metallicus

Start a community garden if you want a sense of achievement.....How is spending a lot of money on something that only benefits the people getting their salary from it going to help most people. I am proud when I catch a big fish or shoot a deer to gain food for the winter. I will have achieved a lot when I pay off all my bills and am debt free. I think our government should be looking at getting rid of debt, not making more. Contributions to NASA are tax deductible....Corporations that donate do not have to pay taxes on that amount and the shareholder is the one that is making the donation out of his dividends, not the execs who get the extravagant tours.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Many reasons come to mind...

the one thing to consider, even though they are not accepting the applications yet, is the interest it has drawn. That, at times, can result in increased funding from sources etc etc...

it also serves to remind the government that space is still a priority to people... By priority I mean something more than just space probes. Human kind wants to explore the stars...

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

"The mission is just a concept, it's not enough. Is there the rocket, the capsule, the resources, and all the necessary technological and scientific research done? Going to another solar system body isn't as simple as anouncing a mission and calling for applicants.

To get things into perspective, we haven't even had a proper private orbital mission."

You didn't read the article did you? All of the details have been laid out how t"he mission will be done using existing hardware, and we're not going to another solar system; we're going to Mars. The plan is to use a commercially available spacecraft, rockets and hardware to get the space-faring couple to the Red Planet."

top topics

join