It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robotic Bees to Pollinate Monsanto Crops

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
earthfirstnews.wordpress.com...

Title says it all really. Tiny robots that can pollinate flowers. Kinda awesome and kinda scary.

The Harvard Microrobotics Lab has been working on its Micro Air Vehicles Project since early 2009. Borrowing from the biomechanics and social organization of bees, the team of researchers is undergoing the creation of tiny winged robots to fly from flower to flower, immune to the toxins dripping from petals, to spread pollen. They even believe that they will soon be able to program the robobees to live in an artificial hive, coordinate algorithms and communicate amongst themselves about methods of pollination and location of particular crops.

Also here is a youtube video describing it in better detail. I don't know how to embed so you will have to click on the link below.

www.youtube.com...

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Bees do that for nothing. Why would anyone want to buy an expensive mechanical bee
Do these mechanical bees make honey
I'll stick to bee husbandry along with getting rid of dangerous chemicals and genetics that hurts the bees.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
Bees do that for nothing. Why would anyone want to buy an expensive mechanical bee
Do these mechanical bees make honey
I'll stick to bee husbandry along with getting rid of dangerous chemicals and genetics that hurts the bees.

so they can use deadly pesticides thay make and sell

this is truly scary stuff

they get rid of bees and replace them so they can sell the poison which of course is in the food supply

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
lol so instead of dealing with the bee problem they just build their own bees. Heh problem solved I guess.

edit on 14/4/2013 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

+13 more 
posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Tin foil hat time!

Companies like Monsanto use genetically modified crops.

It kills the bees.

They market and patent robot bees.

Now?

No-one can have crops unless they get approval from Monsanto and their bees. A global monopoly on pollination.

(I hate the fact that I'm a conspiracy theorist
)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I agree, with bees out of the picture, who otherwise would pollinate crops for free without asking, in the future it will be impossible to grow crop without monsanto mechanics and GMO.. As well as legal approval coming..

Everything is being commandeered it seems, even the bees. Puts emphasis on the original idea that the declining population of the bees was intentional from the get-go.. We live in dark times that will soon be darker than we ever could have imagined.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Bees aren't the only creatures capable of carrying pollen, so we can tone down the pessimism a notch. This can be used in areas where bee populations have dwindled, or are absent altogether. Sure, natural bee populations would be the ideal pollen carriers, but in situations where that's not an option, this is.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Bees aren't the only creatures capable of carrying pollen

but the honey bee is the most effective of all the pollinators, their hives contain 60,000 to 80,000 bees all who are responsible for pollination
www.backyardbeekeepers.com...
most insects and birds work alone and other bees like bumble bees have only a few hundred bees in the hive so they take far longer to get the job done than honey bees, so the loss of them is very serious

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Cancerwarrior

Well since the bees are still dying and new species they make die, they have to do something I guess.

My husband brought home some tomatoes and cucumbers from Fred Meyer he didn't have his glasses and couldn't read the labels, they came from Canada.

They tasted like soap or a chemical inside, both the tomatoes and the cucumber tasted just the same, he spit it out and we had to throw our salads away. This taste was inside not on the outside and I checked all the rest of the ones he brought, they were all the same. Scary stuff.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by grey9438

Keep reading my post. I also said bee populations would be the ideal pollen carriers.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

This is so disturbing for soooo many reasons that other members have already touched upon in this thread.....Our window of opportunity to grow our own food is closing.....Plant fruit trees, veggies, flowers, shrubs and herbs that attract bees, butterflies and birds.......harvest and colllect organic seeds, they can still be found.

Besides the "obvious" of why this is a horrible idea that IMO...goes against nature....what are the implications of these "things" ? What happens when they run into real bees or other creatures? Are they capable of spying too? What happens if I swat one, not that I ever try and hurt bees, but if some creepy robot bee is coming at me, I might "disable" it, would I have to pay for it? I HATE this.......Monsanto is pure EVIL......

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Oh my ..

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
now all they need is some robots to eat that crap!
(after GMO's kill off their regular customers)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
WOW! So let me get this straight. Harvard gets close to 10 million dollars from the stimulus to fund this robotic bee project, and now it will be used for Monsanto crops. Will the Monsanto or Harvard companies pay back that 10 million? I mean really, why did our tax dollars go to fund this project? Doesn't Harvard have enough money? This certainly is just another shovel full in Obama and his administrations pile of crap.

Pladuim
edit on 14-4-2013 by Pladuim because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by MountainLaurel

You're jumping to an awful lot of conclusions, as though I hate bees or something. I said that natural bee populations would be ideal, but where that's not an option, these things can do the same job, perhaps better. I don't think you have to worry about them in urban areas, these seem specifically tied to crops and preserves.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
So these "Bees" are going to collect this stuff...

the creation of tiny winged robots to fly from flower to flower, immune to the toxins dripping from petals,

And then feed it to us, right?

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Another tin foil hat notion!

Imagine that we have to have these robot bees do their thing.

What are they?

Drones.

Fracking drones. Mini drones. Everywhere.

I hate drones.

(now hiding under my table)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Wow. It will also make it next to impossible for the home gardener to accomplish much if the real bees die off and all that is left is the robot bees, I am sure they are programmed to only pollinate the Monsanto fields and not the gardens and small farms of the rest of us. Talk about a complete monopoly. This disgusts me. Thanks for the heads up.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

That line about toxins is pure spin from the article. Have you ever done gardening? Have you ever used weedkiller or pesticide? OMG TOXINS!?! Pure spin. I thought people on this website knew how to identify bunk speech in news articles.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

The problem is, if natural Bee populations are dwindling as a direct result of GMO's and Chemicals produced by Monsanto...there is a conflict of interest.....The US government has written in to LAW that Monsanto is untouchable just a few weeks ago....I don't think I am "unreasonably" VERY Worried.

I would be curious to know if all these "wonderful" studies conducted on the tax payers dime, for something most people don't want, included how these "creepy" robot bees will interact with a natural creature ? Would it kill a bird that might eat one ? What happens if one gets stuck in a spider web ?

I'm sure you don't mean harm to Bees, but I really disagree that a robot Bee could possibly be better then a real Bee.......
I also see the potential for more sinister uses for these "things".......

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join