It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Tesco drops 11-year ban on eggs from chickens fed on GM soya

page: 1
4
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Tesco drops 11-year ban on eggs from chickens fed on GM soya


www .dailymail.co.uk

Tesco, Britain’s biggest seller of fresh chicken and eggs, claims the U-turn has been prompted by its farmers and their suppliers, who say they are finding it increasingly difficult to source non-GM soya.


This suggests the diet of families in the UK is effectively being controlled by US biotech companies responsible for creating GM crops. None of the chicken or eggs produced from birds given this ‘Frankenstein food’ diet will be labelled as such, leaving customers in the dark.
(visit the link for the full news article)




posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Interesting development, it seems consistent with the growing influence of the US biotech industry as GM is spreading the world over-

Peter Melchett is policy director at the Soil Association, which supports organic farming-



He accused Tesco of ignoring the wishes of customers and said it was simply wrong to claim it was difficult to get non-GM feed.

‘Tesco are ignoring the overwhelming majority of the British people,’ he said. ‘Shamefully, Tesco are planning to keep their use of GM feed secret from their customers.’

He added: ‘Tesco are also wrong about the availability of non-GM animal feed. They have swallowed the line being pedalled by multi-national, industrial farming companies that non-GM feed is getting scarcer. In fact, in Brazil alone, there is enough non-GM animal feed to supply the whole of Europe.’



The GM companies are willing to spend as much as it takes to convince the world GM is the future.

With horse meat being found in meat products, God only knows what else is in our food without us even realising.



Morrisons and Asda have already dropped their own bans on GM feed. Marks & Spencer and Sainsbury’s are still refusing to use GM for their chickens.



So, we really are in a time where organic is the way to go, we cannot rely on the supermarkets who will sell out, Tesco now following suit of ASDA and Morrisons.

Whether chickens fed GM soya will mean that is passed onto the consumer, we don't know really know, is it worth taking the chance?

www .dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 13-4-2013 by Wonderer2012 because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Is it only me that is getting an advert at the top of the page to win £2000 to spend at Tesco?
Horse laced beef and now eggs from chicken fed GM soya,yum.



posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Putting to much blame on Monsanto and not the European Syngenta. This isn't just the US.



posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
www.avaaz.org...Just to add,this reminded me of a link I got in an email yesterday about Mosanto.



posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
US markets have been feeding the chickens this crap for many years now,.
the only way to get away from it is to use a trusted local farmer that is educated
in the dangers of soy. GMO or not.. Soy should not be feed to any animal that is eaten
by humans.
it is one of the reasons we have such a crash in definitive genders,. Soy is estrogen
and it is in nearly everything from feed to your breads and cereals. A high soy intake
for men will lead to a huge loss in testosterone, also leading to heart complications early
in life. GMO soy is twice fold dangerous,. chemicals cause tumors and cancers.
Also,. many big producers add Tartrazine, which is a chemical for the yellow color, it also
is a contributor to cancers
edit on 13-4-2013 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
This is total insanity. This world is getting more orwellian by the day. Why do I keep getting the feeling that humans are'nt behind this? Who is really behind those closed doors? Why would we as a thinking species allow this? There's something about this that does not makes sense. Could greedy, ignorant humans be the only perpetrators. Or something else...



posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oannes
This is total insanity. This world is getting more orwellian by the day. Why do I keep getting the feeling that humans are'nt behind this? Who is really behind those closed doors? Why would we as a thinking species allow this? There's something about this that does not makes sense. Could greedy, ignorant humans be the only perpetrators. Or something else...


Look I know its really annoying but feeding chickens GM feed is not like a huge problem. I'm sure the chickens wont mind as left to there own devices they will eat any old rubbish.

But what is something else? Aliens? Chickens?

We allow it because there is apparently no proof that GM food is harmful to humans and is easier and cheaper to make.

I don't personally like the idea but what can you do? Stop buying in Tescos I guess or get your own chickens - easier said than done.



posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I raised chickens for about five years. I'd let them free range as much as possible because although they would eat grains, seeds, and greens, they primarily eat insects as well as small frogs and salamanders. Bugs are big in their diet. The fat, protein and calcium is really important and doesn't naturally come from plant sources.
edit on 13-4-2013 by MichiganSwampBuck because: clarity



posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ispyed
 



We allow it because there is apparently no proof that GM food is harmful to humans and is easier and cheaper to make

There is apparently no proof that GM foods are healthy to humans either. Show me any 5-10-15-20 years studies please. Also would you be willing to undergo a 1 year only-GMO diet for a documentary?

matter of time before they do this in Murica'.

I'm Anti-GMO until I see a 20 year Human Study, on a diet of only GMO foods. That's the only way I'll ever be satisfied.

I think the guy who did the Super Size ME Documentary, who ate nothing but McDonalds for 30 days while undergoing medical examinations, and was warned to stop before getting a heart attack/stroke.....

.....should do something similar. Undergo a 1 year all GMO diet, while getting Cat Scans, blood tests, physicals etc.

That should settle the score once and for all. Although personally I think whoever eats GMO's for a year straight, will end up dying from cancer anyway
edit on 13-4-2013 by dominicus because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-4-2013 by dominicus because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
That's it, there's a Tesco everywhere within walking distance in this country and all I have to say in regards to this is f*ck Tesco



Originally posted by dominicus
reply to post by ispyed
 



We allow it because there is apparently no proof that GM food is harmful to humans and is easier and cheaper to make

There is apparently no proof that GM foods are healthy to humans either. Show me any 5-10-15-20 years studies please. Also would you be willing to undergo a 1 year only-GMO diet for a documentary?

matter of time before they do this in Murica'.

I'm Anti-GMO until I see a 20 year Human Study, on a diet of only GMO foods. That's the only way I'll ever be satisfied.

I think the guy who did the Super Size ME Documentary, who ate nothing but McDonalds for 30 days while undergoing medical examinations, and was warned to stop before getting a heart attack/stroke.....

.....should do something similar. Undergo a 1 year all GMO diet, while getting Cat Scans, blood tests, physicals etc.

That should settle the score once and for all. Although personally I think whoever eats GMO's for a year straight, will end up dying from cancer anyway
edit on 13-4-2013 by dominicus because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-4-2013 by dominicus because: (no reason given)


And yeah, may as well drink up your Saki and get in your fighter because that sounds like a suicide mission.
edit on 13-4-2013 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
They are not the first, ASDA and Morrisons lifted their bans a while ago.

Bottom line is, if this bothers you, just go to Sainsbury's or Waitrose for your eggs, who still have the ban in place. Vote with your wallets, its the only thing Corps listen to.

Not that it bothers me personally, a lot of the hype around GM crops is just that, hype, usually peddled by people with minimal understanding of what it is they're complaining about. But as with most things these days, once "bad press" gets on the web, no matter if it has any truth or not, it's hard to get some to believe anything else. Just take the MMR nonsense and look at Swansea to see what believing bollocks on the internet get's you.



posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus
 


People have been eating GM food for millennia - is that good enough for you?

Every animal we farm and every crop we grow has been modified, quite extensively in most cases, away from the original organism, to the point many do not even resemble the original creature/plant.



posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
They are not the first, ASDA and Morrisons lifted their bans a while ago.

Bottom line is, if this bothers you, just go to Sainsbury's or Waitrose for your eggs, who still have the ban in place. Vote with your wallets, its the only thing Corps listen to.

Not that it bothers me personally, a lot of the hype around GM crops is just that, hype, usually peddled by people with minimal understanding of what it is they're complaining about. But as with most things these days, once "bad press" gets on the web, no matter if it has any truth or not, it's hard to get some to believe anything else. Just take the MMR nonsense and look at Swansea to see what believing bollocks on the internet get's you.


I did point out ASDA and Morrisons had already lifted their bans.

You do have a point but it isn't being labelled, so people are generally not aware of the fact that their eggs or chicken has been fed GM soya.

Now, the debate is not black and white, but the main point is that it is still unknown whether GM is safe, so I find it incredible it is so widespread.

We are being experimented on, 'we' being the world population and no one really knows the long term implications.

In America, why do the likes of Monsanto spend so much money convincing everyone GM doesn't need to be labelled if it is so safe? It's a simple and very fair question.



posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wonderer2012
You do have a point but it isn't being labelled, so people are generally not aware of the fact that their eggs or chicken has been fed GM soya.


Unfortunately, there is no requirement for them to do so. However, if people do vote with their wallets and go elsewhere, then it will be in their interests to label it is as either "GM Soya Fed" or not.


Originally posted by Wonderer2012
Now, the debate is not black and white, but the main point is that it is still unknown whether GM is safe, so I find it incredible it is so widespread.

We are being experimented on, 'we' being the world population and no one really knows the long term implications.


I really do not see what the possible dangers could be. Environmentally, there is certainly a question mark, but even with standard farming, the mono-culture it promotes in the environment is harmful anyway. Nowadays, farmers are being encouraged to reduce pesticides and to mix up crops to promote more biodiversity, but this would hit yields...

As for GM crops specifically, like I said above in my other post, we've been genetically modifying crops and animals for millenia and, if anything, it has greatly benefited the Human race. I do not see how GM is any different.



posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason
 



People have been eating GM food for millennia - is that good enough for you?

Naturally Evolved foods, Yes.

GM, No.


Every animal we farm and every crop we grow has been modified, quite extensively in most cases, away from the original organism, to the point many do not even resemble the original creature/plant.

Naturally using selective breeding yes.

Monsanto Genetically Modifies their crops synthetically to withstand herbicides 2,4-D, dicamba, Bt bacteria, and a bunch of other crap in a very short amount of time, and then still sprays neonicotinoids (proven as a Bee colony Collapse Killer)

Where's the 10 - 20 year Human studies that this safe to eat? Seriously? You want to be the Guinea Pig, then go ahead and let me know how that turns out for you.

Millions of years of Evolution already gives us brilliant crop designs, and the ones that are GM, are already failing to be resistant to what they're designed for.

On top of this, the main Monopoly responsible for GM foods (Mon$anto) is down right evil with the treasonous acts they commit around the world for the sake of Profit.

Its like buying products that support child labor, rape, torture, murder, etc. Have fun with that on your conscience



posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Originally posted by Wonderer2012
You do have a point but it isn't being labelled, so people are generally not aware of the fact that their eggs or chicken has been fed GM soya.


Unfortunately, there is no requirement for them to do so. However, if people do vote with their wallets and go elsewhere, then it will be in their interests to label it is as either "GM Soya Fed" or not.


Originally posted by Wonderer2012
Now, the debate is not black and white, but the main point is that it is still unknown whether GM is safe, so I find it incredible it is so widespread.

We are being experimented on, 'we' being the world population and no one really knows the long term implications.


I really do not see what the possible dangers could be. Environmentally, there is certainly a question mark, but even with standard farming, the mono-culture it promotes in the environment is harmful anyway. Nowadays, farmers are being encouraged to reduce pesticides and to mix up crops to promote more biodiversity, but this would hit yields...

As for GM crops specifically, like I said above in my other post, we've been genetically modifying crops and animals for millenia and, if anything, it has greatly benefited the Human race. I do not see how GM is any different.


I agree with your initial point, it comes down complicity, if we all stop buying the products, we collectively force change. This stands true for all forms of control.

As for GM being used for millenia, that is unfair, we have modified foods yes, but not genetical engineering and interfering with the actual DNA- take modified starch-



Modified starch should not be confused with genetically modified starch, which refers to starch from genetically engineered plants, which have been genetically modified to produce novel carbohydrates which might not naturally occur in the plant species being harvested.[citation needed][dubious – discuss] The modification in this sense refers to the genetic engineering of the plant DNA, and not the later processing or treatment of the starch or starch granules.


Changing the actual DNA and engineering for certain qualities etc is dangerous in the sense we do not know the long term implications of how the food will interact with the human body over many years.



posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
Naturally Evolved foods, Yes.


Give me one example of a modern staple crop that is "naturally evolved"...


Originally posted by dominicus
GM, No.


Naturally using selective breeding yes.


What do you think selective breeding is?


Originally posted by dominicus
Monsanto Genetically Modifies their crops synthetically to withstand herbicides 2,4-D, dicamba, Bt bacteria, and a bunch of other crap in a very short amount of time, and then still sprays neonicotinoids (proven as a Bee colony Collapse Killer)


Uh-huh... And what exactly is the risk? If anything, the risk to human health comes from the continued use of the pesticide in question, rather than the modifcation of the crop to be more resistant to it. I would like you to explain to me, in your words, how you think the addition of, say, the aryloxyalkanoate dioxygenase gene, is a risk to Human health. This particular gene actually breaks down the pesticide 2-4-D into non-herbicidal compounds. What exactly is that enzymes danger to Humans?


Originally posted by dominicus
Where's the 10 - 20 year Human studies that this safe to eat? Seriously? You want to be the Guinea Pig, then go ahead and let me know how that turns out for you.


GM crops have been in use since the early 90's. You'd have thought if there was any danger from Human consumption, this would have been apparent by now?


Originally posted by dominicus
Millions of years of Evolution already gives us brilliant crop designs, and the ones that are GM, are already failing to be resistant to what they're designed for.


On the first point, you're wrong. Evolution gave us plants which provided some benefit, but Human cultivation and selective breeding is what gave us "brilliant" crop designs.


Originally posted by dominicus
On top of this, the main Monopoly responsible for GM foods (Mon$anto) is down right evil with the treasonous acts they commit around the world for the sake of Profit.


I think you'll find, in the case of Soy Beans and 2,4-D resistance, it is actually done by Dow Chemical Company and nothing to do with Monsato. It's just that Monsato is the "poster child" of the industry and you've latched onto it.


Originally posted by dominicus
Its like buying products that support child labor, rape, torture, murder, etc. Have fun with that on your conscience


I have no idea how you have come to that conclusion....
edit on 13/4/13 by stumason because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Just to clarify, however, I am on the fence with regards to GM food, but not out of paranoid nonsense, but rather simply a desire to eat "naturally" grown crops with minimal pesticide use. Given the choice, I'll go organic/free range etc where possible, but that is simply down to the fact the flavour is generally better.

However, I also realise that, with the world population growing as it is, better ways to increase food crop yield are necessary.



posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason
 




Uh-huh... And what exactly is the risk? If anything, the risk to human health comes from the continued use of the pesticide in question, rather than the modifcation of the crop to be more resistant to it. I would like you to explain to me, in your words, how you think the addition of, say, the aryloxyalkanoate dioxygenase gene, is a risk to Human health. This particular gene actually breaks down the pesticide 2-4-D into non-herbicidal compounds. What exactly is that enzymes danger to Humans?

DO we have 20 year studies of human consumption of the aryloxyalkanoate dioxygenase gene? Would you mind eating it for a year and telling us how you feel and getting cat scans?


GM crops have been in use since the early 90's. You'd have thought if there was any danger from Human consumption, this would have been apparent by now?

I have grandparents, some left, on both sides of the family. And they both told me the same thing, that 60-70 years ago, no one had cancer, and everyone they knew, usually died of an accident, heart attack, or general old age. One worked as an Engineer designing infrastructure in a big city, and knew alot of people. The other, owned a very popular cafe, and also knew alot of people. They both said the same thing, there was rarely if ever any cancer back then.

You might want to look at some statistics that show America as the number 1 country with cancer rates worldwide. I just spent a good 15 minutes trying to find the site, and I will get it up here, but regardless you would find that America (First in GMO's) is also first in Cancers, Austism, Allergies, SIDS, and a bunch of other crap that should be unheard of for a first world country.

I think most of it is due to a combo of 3 things (all of which are banned in Canada and Europe)

1. GMO corn, which almost in everything as high fructose corn syrup and so on
2. The Anti-Biotic and Steroids being used in the meat and poultry industry
3. BPA lined in all the cans/bottles/plastics


I think you'll find, in the case of Soy Beans and 2,4-D resistance, it is actually done by Dow Chemical Company and nothing to do with Monsato. It's just that Monsato is the "poster child" of the industry and you've latched onto it.

DOW is no angel, however there is more evil being done by Monsanto and they prove themselves over and over again to being the most Evil of them all


I have no idea how you have come to that conclusion....

You should check out the India debacle with Monsanto. So many farmers lost crops and went bankrupt because of them, that many committed suicide due to all the debt they fell into. If they would have stayed with the usual system of using regular seed, which can be reused for free, they would have been fine.

I can mention how the leading bee research company, Bee-Logics figured out all the bee's are dying due to neonicotinoids. SO what does MonSatan do? They buy them with hu$h money to shut them up.

You want me to mention all the ex-Mon$anto cronies that no work in the EPA, FDA, and are circled around Obama?

All their products rushed to market with no long term oversight? Dude I can go on and on with literally books about their unethical acts. That's why when you support the GMO Industry, you support the suicide deaths of all the Indian farmers, all the Cancers out there, and all those who have died from them. The health of children and our environment.......

So much more to it than meets the eye




top topics



 
4
<<   2 >>

log in

join