It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Changes to psychiatry's 'bible' could widen definition of ADHD

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Changes to psychiatry's 'bible' could widen definition of ADHD

www.9and10news.com

When the latest version of what is considered the "bible" of psychiatry is unveiled in May, experts believe several changes in it will broaden both the definition and diagnosis of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder -- or ADHD.

ADHD will no longer be grouped with conduct disorder and oppositional defiant disorder. Instead, it will be grouped with neurodevelopmental disorders.

another expert said the changes could lead to overdiagnosis of the disorder, and a subsequent jump in the prescrib
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I'm not a big fan of ADHD diagnosis to begin with.
I hear too often about kids being over distracted in class and then getting perscribed ADHD drugs.

Nobody is trying to make the class more interactive, all they do is make students memorize things, it's horrible.
Just waiting for superman!

"If we decide as a society that the use of stimulants is good, it shouldn't be done through a fake medical diagnosis. Making it a medical diagnosis is what's wrong here," Frances explained. "I'm not against these drugs being legal, but I'm against the backdoor medical diagnosis."

However not everything is a conspiracy, some things are just bad decisions.

What is this though?
I'm not sure.

I just dont' think it's a good idea
Question is, can this help control the people?

www.9and10news.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
1. Diagnose more people with everything from ADHD to Depression.

2. Put them on whatever drug is the new cool of the day.

3. Introduce the 'Disease' or 'Condition' and 'Cure' as being possibly dangerous to the public because now these people are 'Unstable'.

4. NO GUNS FOR YOU!

I think that might sum a few things up.

Peace

edit on 12-4-2013 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

One of my brothers was diagnosed with ADHD at a young age, probably 15 or 16. This was 15-16 years ago.

In my opinion, there is nothing physically or psychologically wrong with him other than he is a pathological liar and a thief. Maybe I'm just jaded by my experience, but I have a hard time putting any type of validity into this type of crap.

I have adopted the term: oxygen thief for my brother, who had spent most of his life as a carney, or in jail for failing to pay child support.

He is now a Meth head who only contacts me when he needs money(which I decline), Personally, I think if he would just die it would be a lot easier on the whole family.
edit on 12-4-2013 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Its terrifying to think that a school teacher has the power to recommend that a child be sent for evaluation, most of them are bonkers themselves.
There was a program shown on british tv a few months back, basically it told parents it was their duty to medicate their children.

The teachers have a list with 20 tick boxes. If your child gets just 5 of those boxes ticked they are recommended for medication

These five are enough for them to say your child needs medicating
Fidgeting. Talking out of turn. Staring out the window. Answering back. Sitting on ones own hands etc.
All thing any NORMAL child would do.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I don' like their mistreatment and overmedication of certain conditions, and the drugs with dangerous side effects are not suitable for children. However, it strikes me this is neurological. My sons have apraxia which is, one had mild epileptic symptoms as a child and 4/5 needed speech therapy one is fairly hyper and a candidate for ADHD, but we will never medicate him, those 4/5 are left handed as well, and it is in a cluster of neurological things IMO.

There is just no need to medicate or at least in many instances and if one is thinking of medication, well choose natural things.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I took my wee dog to the vet because he had some problems and the vet told me he had ADHD i nearly wet myself laughing, Jaxon doesn't have to take any drugs though so he just runs around after his stubby tail if he hears a loud noise (the vet had to amputate his tail as he was eating it)

I thought i would tell you about Jaxon to lighten the load

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ballymoney50
I took my wee dog to the vet because he had some problems and the vet told me he had ADHD i nearly wet myself laughing, Jaxon doesn't have to take any drugs though so he just runs around after his stubby tail if he hears a loud noise (the vet had to amputate his tail as he was eating it)

ADHD & Jaxon:

"A Damn Hyperactive Doggy"

Abnormal? Nah...Just Jaxon being Jaxon I'm guessing.

Peace

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Recall the story of the country-woman who didn't believe in the "moon landings" in 1970 because she couldn't get good reception on her TV out in the sticks away from major cities.

That pretty much sums up the Internet for me: Everybody has an opinion about things they don't even have the education to become educated about.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Yay another fear based article regarding psychiatry! I'm surprised it's not from Natural News. So we have a change in classification and a quote from an unnamed source. This somehow constitutes a possible conspiracy? I will admit that based on the most up to date research the definition for ADHD does need to be broadened. It has been primarily been seen as a disorder of children but recent studies have shown it does not diminish with age. So I'm not sure if neurodevrlopmental disorders is the classification it should belong.

That's not to say the disorder isn't over diagnosed. It definitely is. However, the more we learn about it the more we can narrow down specifics and become better at accurately diagnosing this disorder. A great first step would be if people would stop going to their PCP for a diagnosis on mental disorders.

Just in case anyone is interested ADHD, Conduct Disorder and Oppositional Defiant Disorder can currently be found in the DSM-IV TR's chapter on Disorders Usually First Diagnosed in Infancy, Childhood, or Adolescence under the sub-heading of Attention-Deficit and Disruptive Behavior Disorders.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Sir Ken Robinson touches on the subject of adhd in this vid.

The map shows how the incidence of adhd increases as you cross the country. And like him, I think its a fad just like taking out tonsils used to be. They wanted to steal my tonsills when I was a child but luckily my nother told them where to go. I never had throat problems then and I dont now, but back then parents believed what they were told and agreed there must be something wrong coz the doctor said so.
Its just the same today. Parents are told that there child is not normal, and they believe it, coz the man in the white coat says so.
Yes SOME people migh be a little different, but aren't we supposed to be a little different? I dont see why a child should be medicated just because they jump about having a good time.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
Yay another fear based article regarding psychiatry! I'm surprised it's not from Natural News. So we have a change in classification and a quote from an unnamed source. \.

Fear based article?
unamed source?

Dude, use google, this news is all over the web
medicalxpress.com...

You couldn't do a search before saying that?

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

Sorry to hear that ... there is no simple solution. The desire to reform - for want of a better word - must
come from within.

Your job is to be there ... after they have hit bottom and are bouncing back up.
That is when you can help. Not on the way down.

Best wishes ...

edit on 13-4-2013 by Timely because: stuff

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

3. Introduce the 'Disease' or 'Condition' and 'Cure' as being possibly dangerous to the public because now these people are 'Unstable'.

4. NO GUNS FOR YOU!

Peace

edit on 12-4-2013 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

Aaand the first post turns it into a conspiracy against guns. Maybe ATS needs some medication, because its looking a whole lot like aspergers on this site lately.

In other news, yes, I think they are over diagnosing ADHD.That is just my personal opinion. I am in no way a medical professional, so I would also say "Let the people who know what is going on handle it. Because I cannot disprove them since i am not in possession of such knowledge and expertise."

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   

It's up to the parents to stop the drugs before they start. Most parents will go along with them, but some will save their children - and hopefully those in-the-know parents will educate some of the rest. But "experts" usually trump knowledge in the PTA meetings, and the herd mentality is another factor which will add children to the list of lifelong users, so those who know enough to insist their children are fine (just keep them off the sugar) must stand their ground when confronted by people who just want things "calm and sedate".
edit on 13-4-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   

By unnamed source I'm referring to lines like this:

another expert said the changes could lead to overdiagnosis of the disorder, and a subsequent jump in the prescrib

Who is this expert? Are they even an expert in psychiatry? We don't know because the article gives us no information regarding them and yet their claims regarding overdiagnosis come from this unnamed source.

This is just another in a long line of hit pieces against the upcoming DSM 5 written by people who have little to no background in psychology or psychiatry. While a lot will change it is all based on research. The committee that is putting together the book don't just throw things together willy nilly. This new edition has been in the works for years if not over a decade and every decision regarding it has been carefully made.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
Sir Ken Robinson touches on the subject of adhd in this vid.

The map shows how the incidence of adhd increases as you cross the country. And like him, I think its a fad just like taking out tonsils used to be. They wanted to steal my tonsills when I was a child but luckily my nother told them where to go. I never had throat problems then and I dont now, but back then parents believed what they were told and agreed there must be something wrong coz the doctor said so.
Its just the same today. Parents are told that there child is not normal, and they believe it, coz the man in the white coat says so.
Yes SOME people migh be a little different, but aren't we supposed to be a little different? I dont see why a child should be medicated just because they jump about having a good time.

Amazingly interesting video VoidHawk, thanks for that

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Too many people are trying to classify/categorize everything. While this serves an organizational purpose, you cannot always fit someone in a box, nor should you. If we are truly diverse, and difference is a good thing, widening a definition for ADHD just to lump more people in that category is just bad science/medicine.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Good discussion MA, thanks

4. NO GUNS FOR YOU!

Peace

I think you nailed it Jude....

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ballymoney50

ADHD & Jaxon:

"A Damn Hyperactive Doggy"

Abnormal? Nah...Just Jaxon being Jaxon I'm guessing.

Peace

Kind of funny that in some breads ADHD like behavior is completely normal. Over the years I have had a Red Queensland Healer a Jack Russel Terrier [ now known as the Parsons Terrier ] and currently have a Basenji and all of them were completely nuts just like every other dog of those breeds I have ever seen
Pretty much why I have grown to love Terriers which should probably be called Terrors instead
The Basenji is just downright weird as it acts more like a cat or a ferret than a dog, heard most are usually very unique individuals which I completely agree with.

Gotta love Dogs crazy or otherwise

edit on 16-4-2013 by Candycab because: Smileys

top topics

<<   2 >>

join