It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millions of wasps discovered in gigantic 21-foot nest

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I wasn't sure where to put this, but figured this would work due to the wasps not being native to the Canary Islands.

When I watched the video for this I got a shiver up my spine. I won't lie, just one wasp/bee is enough to make me spasticly move around like I'm having seizures and run away;I try to suppress the urge to squeal like a little girl. I don't even want to imagine being around a hoard this big.

The town of San Sebastián de La Gomera in the Canary Islands was buzzing with fear when a gigantic 21-foot 9-inch wasp nest was discovered in the hallway of an abandoned home.

Because of its unusually large size, experts believe the nest was built by an invasive species of wasp that migrated from Africa, just 100 kilometers away, and that it was likely to house millions of the insects.

news.yahoo.com...

www.odditycentral.com...
edit on 11-4-2013 by Forgoten_Whisper because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
what will they do now torch it?

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Oh God! And now I have to try to sleep. Thanks a lot

S&F

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
any honey bees in there?
wasps we gots ...but its bees we needs

edit on 11-4-2013 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Now I do believe that's a sight that would leave even Billy the Exterminator running away, screaming like a man gone mad. Yikes!

Is there anything in Africa that isn't trying to kill, infect or otherwise harm human life in one way or another? Talk about a rough place to live before anyone even gets to the two legged critters. Even the wasps come in Jumbo Size and by the Millions to a bunch!

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Call in an airstrike?

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
burn the whole god damn building down. Now.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by underduck

So do I.

Unfortunately, I it may be one of those nights where I "feel" something crawling on me and smack myself. I hate waking up that way.

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Go in with a spray can of Raid, if you're really brave.

Take THIS #, wasps! Pssss! Psssssss!

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Forgoten_Whisper

You're not alone, I hate them, especially Wasps.. Bee's I can tolerate, just about, as long as they keep themselves to themselves.

This nest would have probably made me catatonic with fear. I once found a hornets nest in my mums attic, it had a single hornet and it appears to be dead... I still exited the attic without even touching the ladder and left my brother up there to fend for himself (he did also exit quite sharply)

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   
So I found the title of this topic interesting..As I slowly scrolled down i saw a 'link to an external image'
an image I do not want to see again. Ill be back soon guys, I just need to get my torch out and hide under the covers.

This is the voice that i heard in my head, just close your eyes and imagine its wasps.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Now I do believe that's a sight that would leave even Billy the Exterminator running away, screaming like a man gone mad. Yikes!

Is there anything in Africa that isn't trying to kill, infect or otherwise harm human life in one way or another? Talk about a rough place to live before anyone even gets to the two legged critters. Even the wasps come in Jumbo Size and by the Millions to a bunch!

Africa is the prime of examples if you're looking for an apocalyptic SHTF comparison.

Literally everything you can think of is happening, PRESENTLY, there.
Water/food shortage, logistical nightmares, enemy people, enemy animals, enemy diseases.

It's so odd how on the same planet we can have a technological haven lush with every amenity, where the people don't even think twice about having fresh water come out a pipe, then like 7000 miles away across the water it's like every story we fear living out day by day..

besides the word Africa, this is offtopic as hell lol..

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Holy hell I hate wasps. I love honey bees.... but wasps, yellow jackets, hornets, bumble bees, ect.... all can burn for all I care.

What would I do with that house? Burn that mother down. Bring in a truck full of napalm and hose that place down.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Did you see how the material of the nest has an appearance of a type of woven rope material? Maybe some sort of nylon? Just something interesting I noticed.
White Nylon Rope..hah

Good info though, thanks for sharing.
edit on 12-4-2013 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I would say what I think of that but it will breach ATS T&Cs. Bees I don't mind wasps can just do one

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

It's so odd how on the same planet we can have a technological haven lush with every amenity, where the people don't even think twice about having fresh water come out a pipe, then like 7000 miles away across the water it's like every story we fear living out day by day..

it isn't so odd once you realize that countries like africa are the reason we are prosperous. we use them for diamonds, rare earth elements, and cheap labor.

my question is: how the hell do you not notice that? i mean it's not like they built it overnight, it must have taken quite a while.
edit on 12-4-2013 by Bob Sholtz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
There lies a perfect scientific project....Smoke the wasps to sleep, keep the nest obviously, box them up and put them in an enclosed and controlled environment for study. There has got to be something science can learn from these nasty little critter and the fact that there is a chance to "harvest" a few millions with a nest like that won't happen again anytime soon.

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure....

Seriously though, kill it with fire......NOW!!!!

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   

its about 5 feet high how do they work out its 21 feet long
does it go on all the way through the house that high

skins crawling now

theres three things i dont like and thats the top of the list
then earwigs
then moths

when i was 11 my mates and i went conkering and i disturbed a
hornets nest (believe me they are not docile)
and was stung all over my body DRs said it was a good job i was fat
the cheeky pregnant fish (can not swear)

edit on 12/4/2013 by maryhinge because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Attack that nest with a can of wasp and hornet spray and see what happens
I wouldn't think that that many wasps could get along in one hive. They must have had an exceptional queen. Hopefully they don't migrate this far north.

Got eight inches of heavy snow here overnight and we are expecting another foot and a half before tomorrow morning. We had three feet left on the ground yet before this started. The wasp nests were very high last fall on the houses.....How do the wasps know how much snow we are going to get?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join